Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/28/2005, 07:26 PM
Premium Member

winds are own to 160... better than the 184 they were reporting erlier today...but still not good.

It could actualy be months before I could even go see if I have a house/tankroom/ or even a tank left. I fear my 110 at my office will be smelly next time I see it

Time for a drink!
Old 08/28/2005, 09:26 PM
TRC Leader

They are reporting about your hurricane on the news now. I hope your home and possessions will be okay. Do you feel your current location is safe as well?
Old 08/28/2005, 09:34 PM
get your reef on

aside from the tank, I hope you and your home are okay when it's all over.
Old 08/28/2005, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Yikes! Look out everyone. This is gonna be a big one.
Old 08/28/2005, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

I feel I am on the edge of where the storm will pass. If it doesn't go more north like they are saying it will get bad where im at. BIG thing is here is its not like a bowl like new orleans. Way its looking we will get 40 mph winds and rain where im at. Now if the storm keeps its NW track it will be worse her...but still way better than back home. We had rooms here already...and its next to impossible to get some further west now. Not unless we go into houston or further, but I think it will be ok here.

We are also here because of our company. We supply oil companies all there stuff off shore and on shore. Usually with storms it means we get REAL busy replacing all the stuff that got damaged. Lafayette is like where we were with lots or places we get our stuff from and means to get them offshore to the platforms. So I have dismantled our computer system and its here in the hotel. So if need be we can rent an office and set up shop. It really could be months before we can go back to our building...IF its still there.

Another thing they just reminded me of on the news....if/when the city floods...bodies will pop up from the ground and from the above ground burial sites. I boarded up my windows, but my house is NOT brick...its siding. In the back of my head I am having visions of my place being leveled...cant tell teh wife that tho. She is relying on me to keep her sainity.

I'll post what goes on when/if I can...like I said im using someone elses wireless service right now....no telling how long it will last.

Ohh something else that adds to the "pleasure" of all this...after 15 min of us evacuating 130a.m sunday morning....I have to swerve to miss a 5' square wooden type crate that is sitting in the middle of I-10. The wife wasnt so lucky and the giant box hit her brand new armada. Smashed one headlight fender and bumper on the passenger of the car. All cosmetic stuff but adds to the already stressful situation.

This isnt really tank related so I hope the mods dont mind.....
Old 08/28/2005, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Ouch... not another car injury!!! That stinks!
Old 08/28/2005, 10:14 PM
TRC Leader

I saw that they closed down the oil rigs in the ocean nearby as well. Of course Fox News wants to do an in-depth report on how THAT will affect gas prices.
Old 08/28/2005, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

Tropical storm force winds are now being felt in new orleans They are showing clips of the lakefront on the weather channel. Thats about 15 min from my house

Something evil this way comes....
Old 08/28/2005, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Yes another car smashing...not real bad but enough. Of cource ill post pics lol.

Yeah when storms are getting close the shut it down. Then they go out and surve the damage....then call us for supplies. You can book it...it will increse gas prices! Where the storm is planned to make land fall is a MAJOR outpost of a lot of companies.
Old 08/28/2005, 11:11 PM
Tiny Miracles.

Nolacls, as soon as I heard about this hurricane heading your way, I remembered you and this thread. I truly hope everything that you have worked so hard for does make it through. Good luck in the coming hours, you and everyone else in Louisiana will need it.

I dont envy you at all right now. Your tank may see seawater sooner then you thought.....
Old 08/29/2005, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NewMariner

I dont envy you at all right now. Your tank may see seawater sooner then you thought.....
I was thinking the same thing

Well it looks like we might have dodged the worst of it. The eye is passing just to the east of NOLA. Now we are getting some massive winds and rain but not as bad as it could be. On the news they are reporting the superdome has two 6' holes in the roof with thousands of people in it. Its leaking has has only power for lights. There is full structural failure of lots of buildings and homes in nola right now. We are not out of it yet either. They also said some homes are already flooded up to the cling...hope mine is not

I feel a little better bout it now...but I fear it is still going to be pretty bad.

Looks like lafayette was juuuuuust far enough to not be in the mess. Its barely sprinkling here now.

I will keep yall posted....
Old 08/29/2005, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

Also this just in...both the pumps on both sides of the river are failing...dat not good!
Old 08/29/2005, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

This just in...leve just broke on the mississippi by the french quarter...NOT GOOD!
Old 08/29/2005, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

are you ok from the katri
Old 08/29/2005, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

Im in lafayette and its barely raining here. Fox news is doing some good reporting if yall want to see. The levee broke by the 9th ward in nola and they expect 9' of flash flood water. Its bad in nola but MS is going to get worse weather along with alabamma. New orleans is more populated tho. Also now they are saying DONT drink the water in nola...they think it may be contamanated now. Think my RODI can clean it up
Old 08/29/2005, 09:47 AM
get your reef on

Quote:
Originally posted by NOLACLS
This just in...leve just broke on the mississippi by the french quarter...NOT GOOD!
what a mess. how soon till you can go back to see your house?
will the flooding effect you?
Old 08/29/2005, 09:49 AM
get your reef on

oh, nevermind I just checked the weather chanel, it might be a while.
Old 08/29/2005, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

that levee wont efect me. There is also a leve by the lakefront that is overflowed and he lake front has 8-10 of water. My wife teaches at a HS at the lakefront...her summer might have just been extended.

As for how long...no teling...could be weeks could be months. They said dont drink the water now....no power....phones are out. Who knows....
Old 08/29/2005, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

Read some of the stuff on here http://www.wwltv.com/ they say it could be a month before we all have power
Old 08/29/2005, 12:22 PM
get your reef on

wow, not great news on the stations web site.

a month to get power back, that's crazy.

I guess it's a blessing in disguise that it took you so long to get the tank set up.
I'm sure everything would have died

hang in there.
Old 08/29/2005, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

There is my 110 at work Not as stocked as the 280 will be but nice stuff non the less.
Old 08/29/2005, 03:59 PM
get your reef on

I'm sorry, I forgot about that tank, maybe you'll be able to get to it in time with a generator.
Old 08/29/2005, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

Unbelievable, I am glad we dont get weather like that here in Maine and am sorry to hear you are getting it there
Old 08/29/2005, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

wow. i had a feeling this one would be worse than originally suspected, and there's more hurricane season left ) :

hang in there homie.
good choice with the ride
Euroreef CS8-3+
And too many lights
Old 08/29/2005, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Hope you made it ok. Seems so. Hopefully your house did not take too much damage.