Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Used Equipment & Drygoods Selling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/29/2005, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

80 Bow Front Entire Reef - Brentwood, CA

I came home tonight to find most everything dead in my tank. It is very sad - the tank got to 95 degrees - long story, I won't go into it. Live rock/sand, the fish and a couple corals survived. A lot of the coraline alge started to die - but much of it remained. When the tank calms down a little I will get some pictures of the aftermath. I managed to get it down to 82 degrees within 2 hours of finding it in that condition.

****NOTE to everyone: NEVER put the glass tops on your reef to prevent evaporation when leaving town for a couple days!!!!

OK ... so why is this in the "For Sale" section? Well, it is due to the fact that I have a very busy life and can't handle the stress of reefing anymore. It makes me sick to give it up - but I am. It makes me more sick to see what occurred due to a mistake that I made.

Here are the details (It all goes or nothing - I won't piece it out!):
[list=a][*]80 gallon bow front on black stand with black canopy. The tank was actually part of a Marineland tidepool system - but the tidepool sump was replaced by a reef capable one. The overflow and returns are actually tubes that come up through the bottom of the tank. It looks really nice now that they are covered with coraline alge and star polyps - but we'll have to see if it all survives.[*]432W of T-5 lighting. Currently all German made bulbs (2-Actinic, 2 Blue+, 3 - 11k, 1 - 6k). I have a couple extra bulbs too. This is one of the nicest lighting configurations around with the ballasts and timers external to the canopy. There are 4 computer fans in the canopy that keep it very cool (unless you're stupid and put the glass tops on). There is also an outlet on the side that turns off with the actinic lights - it works well for the fans and the powerheads.[*]Korallin calcium reactor with 5lb CO2 bottle. I've only had this for a couple months - its nearly brand new.[*]Euroreef CS6-2 skimmer.[*]Custom sump with micron bag in overflow.[*]Mag 9.5 return pump[*]Two Powerhead 402's for flow.[*]100lbs+ live rock[*]120lbs live sand[*]Yellow Tang, Cleaner Wrasse, and Orange Spotted Goby.[*]Possibly a firefish - but I haven't seen him since the carnage took place.[/list=a]

Any living corals:[list=b][*]Sinularia (Spagetti leather) is good.[*]The SPS's are most all dead - but we might be able to get some frags off of them - we'll just have to see.[*]The Zoo's are in good shape.[*]The pink & green star polyps have not come out yet (2 hours since cooldown) - but they are pretty resiliant, so I think they might make it.[*]Gorgonian polyps are recessed - but it looks like it might make it.[*]Red mushrooms are fine.[*]Green open brain looks to be ok - but then again, I don't know what they look like when they are dead.[*]The clam made it through just fine.[*]The hammers still have color - but have not extended yet.[*]Alveopora is most likely dead.[/list=b]

Retail pricing for this system:
Tank, Stand, Sump, Pump & plumbing $1,000
EuroReef Skimmer $400
Korallin Calcium Reactor $750
Lighting $800
Live Rock $5.00/lb $500
Live Sand $1.00/lb $100
Fish $50
Corals $100
Total $3,600

I'm sure you all know that I have thousands invested: dave@teammmi.com. Since I have to put a price, I'll say $2500 ... but make me a reasonable offer and I will consider.

Before the carnage:

Power Configuration:

How the lighting sits on top of the canopy (4 fans):

From inside the canopy:

This is the sump before adding the Euroreef skimmer & calcium reactor:

Early in its lifecycle - but it shows what it looks like setup from afar:

Lighting is just amazing in here - put your sunglasses on to feed the fish!:

Not so much a newbie anymore - but still knowing just enough to be a threat to marine life everywhere!

Kart Racing, BMW's and Reef Keeping - I need to find cheaper obsessions.

Last edited by kaweahnet; 08/29/2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08/29/2005, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Just in case

Sorry to hear about the crash!!

I live in NYC so I am not a candidate to take the entire setup, but just in case you do part out please put me first in line for the calcium reactor.
Regards,
Herman
Old 08/29/2005, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Sorry about your lost Dave...
You might want to try to post this in the Sac and BAR forum.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=173

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...s=&forumid=298
Old 10/29/2005, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

do you still have the korallin reactor
Old 10/29/2005, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

If you part it out I am interested in the lights and skimmer.
Old 11/10/2005, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

is the korallin still available
Old 11/10/2005, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

I was never going to part out the system, so the korallin would not have been sold separately. However, I have recovered many things and decided to keep it going.

Thx, Dave

Not so much a newbie anymore - but still knowing just enough to be a threat to marine life everywhere!

Kart Racing, BMW's and Reef Keeping - I need to find cheaper obsessions.
Old 11/10/2005, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Hey, those karts look like fun. I was in Visalia and saw some some electric versions. They got up to 50MPH. Thats fast for battery powered!

Like i always say its a learning process.
Good luck,
Gonzalo
Old 11/11/2005, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

glad to hear things made it. im surprized to learn how tough some critters really are. i cooked some fish a while back, luckily before my reefing days. have fun with the rebuilding.
-nick