Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/05/2005, 03:45 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
But still what im saying is no1 knows how fast anaerobic bacteria (the ones that do the filtration that gets rid of nitrates) colonize new rocks. It may take one day and it may take years. Im just playing devil's advocate and trying to investigate this in another perspective. Still hoping a marine biologist will chime in and lead us one way or the other?

It should take about exactly the same time it takes to seed a DSB.
Old 08/05/2005, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Im no marine biologist, but it seems to me that we know it cant take any longer than it does to cycle a tank. And they dont get rid of trates...they get rid of trites.

After 1400 RC posts I felt guilty for not having a premium membership
Old 08/05/2005, 07:01 PM
I need a tank!!!

These questions have been answered earlier. I'll give you a quick answer. It would seem it is as fast a tank cycles due to evidence from ppl who have cycled with base rock only.

And actually, anaerobic cycle trates not trites.
Old 08/05/2005, 08:12 PM
TRC Leader

This thread continues to bug me. It is far too general, looking at just the last few posts.

LR denitrifies the water. It can remove nitrates, but only a limited amount.

The porosity of the rock is key. The person that started this thread posted about a specific type of base rock, not just any type of concrete-based stuff. Oh well. I need to unsubscribe.
Old 08/06/2005, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Using "cured " live rock and live sand with few fish can cycle a tank in about a week> you pay more money for live rock to speed up the cycling process.
Old 08/08/2005, 08:28 AM
How YOU doin?

The porosity of the rock is key. I've never come across anything to back that up, but it gets mentioned a lot. Got a link?

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 08/11/2005, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

no link but a smooth sided rock with no visible cracks must be harder to colonize inside and out then one that looks like a sponge
Old 08/11/2005, 11:39 PM
I need a tank!!!

That has nothing to do with the argument whether dry base rock can be as good at processing as live rock. Nobody said concrete or quartz only.
Old 08/12/2005, 12:09 AM
product of my environment

Me be noobie also. Kinda.

This is a great thread, with lots of different views and vivid opinions. I should be nearing deciding what to do about rock myself come the end of this month, once I've finished spilling the rest of my pvc cement and primer on the bottom of tank stand. It does look though like I can actually save some money by using at least a 50/50 mix of base and live rock. As for what kind of "live" rock and where I'd like to get it from, I know I like the Marshall Island and Figi Tonga stuff and am not all too crazy about the Caribbean blend; I also know I hate the idea of waiting for the clackers to appear and then trying to hunt them down without the use of a glass-shattering Excaliber (but that's another story). So, come time to order my "live" rock, while I'm waiting for it to die off on its way here, I'll start making some plaster casts and get a hold of some Portland and play sand to make up the balance of what I need.

On a different and completely unrelated note, one can imagine that when asked by his protege' about live rock and Neptune's role in all this, some now long-dead, otherwise non-descript philosopher might have responded with Live rock...? Only in your head.

jan

wow, bears really do poo in the woods in some places...
Old 08/12/2005, 01:23 AM
Moved On

cant get life from nothing, ever see TBS rock. your never going to get that if you just seed a tank
Old 08/12/2005, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

dude, its all about knowing that you got the genuine stuff. I personally buy live rock, because its from the ocean!
Old 08/12/2005, 02:35 PM
I need a tank!!!

Thanks for the thread shattering comments to the last 2 of you but really its been said about 10million times now. Read the thread if you wanna comment and make every1 come read it..
Old 08/12/2005, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Old 08/12/2005, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

I have 80lbs of base rock in my 90 gal. I am going to pick up some LR at my LFS tonight. Would 20lbs be enough to help seed the base rock?
I just re-did my tank, and it currently has a well established wet/dry filter on it.
I am using Caribsea Reef Bones as my base rock. Pictures of the base rock can be seen in my gallery.
Old 08/12/2005, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

I use alot off live rock and do away with the wet\dry. I think it is rare. JD
Old 08/12/2005, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Jim.. I do plan to remove the wet/dry. After everything is up and running I will slowly remove the bio balls.
Old 08/12/2005, 07:53 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoestring Reefer
The porosity of the rock is key. I've never come across anything to back that up, but it gets mentioned a lot. Got a link?
he is kinda correct. the more porus somthing is. the deeper the water can penetrate. the more bactiria can grow. the water goes slow throu the pores and once depleated of o2 anarobic bactiria can take over and turn stuff into free nitrogen.

cant do that with somthing smoth
Old 08/12/2005, 09:24 PM
Premium Member

I started with about 80 lbs of awesome base rock from Reeferrocks.com. Then I added about 10 lbs of fiji from the LFS and another 20 lbs of FL LR from another LFS. It looks pretty good but I want to get some more FL rocks cause they have such a variety of colors and creatures on them. RIght now I have an urchin, a couple corals and a bunch of pods cause of the FL rock and since it's available from the LFS I dont' have to cure it. There's no cycle so it's a win/win situation. I agree with those on here that say you can seed your baserock but I for one am not as patient as some so I am going to continue buying one or two big FL rocks every few weeks to speed up the process.
Old 08/12/2005, 11:48 PM
I need a tank!!!

Who says that you need a extremely porous rock over even slightly porous rock if you use the correct amount. When less space is available, less no3 is consumed initially according to your theory. Therefore more food for more bacteria and they just grow more dense.

In other words theres still nothing to back it up.

I am not at all advocating the use of cement base rock but I think you guys are beating around the bush.
Old 08/12/2005, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

I picked up about 25lbs of live rock tonight. I must say there is no doubt that LR is much more fun than my dry base rock was.
I was also surprised to see how much lighter the pieces are than my base rock. I was expecting to only get a few pieces, but I ended up with 7 decent size ones. As far as life on the rock... One has countless tube worms on it. I saw some sort of crab peeking out of a hole in another, and there are a ton of little snails. I am overall very pleased with the LR. The only downside is two of the pieces have a couple of Aiptasia on them ( 5 total )
We didn't see them on there when we were picking the rock. I will definately have to rid them of them pesky creatures.
I can definately see how some would prefer to start a system using only live rock, but I am happy I went with the base rock / live rock combo. It will be fun to watch the base rock turn into live rock over time. Before there was a snail real close to walking off a Live rock onto a dead rock. Despite my egging on he decided to turn, and head back the other way. Oh well....in time I guess.
Old 08/13/2005, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

I made DIY rock (about 45#) a couple of months ago, and still have tons of concrete left. All in all I ended up spending about $50 on supplies. I spent close to $150 on the same amount of live rock. To tell the truth, I am much happier with the GARF rock! The tank it is in looks sooooooo much better than the tank with the live rock. I have a 40 stretch hex (live rock) and a 125 (GARF rock) plumbed together. So keep in mind, same sump, same water, same filtration. I can't get the 125 to grow algae very well if I kept the lights on 24 hours per day, but I barely run the lights on the 40 and have a massive cyano and hair algae break out. I don't have anything in either tank that eats either type of algae (or cultures it for that matter). It seems that all I did was pay money (and lots of it) for tons of cyano and hair algae on dying rocks. All of my future tanks will be using the GARF recipe for DIY rocks. Might as well save myself the money and the headaches of live rock. I am usually broke enough that quick stocking isn't an option anyway!

Awesome thread!
Old 08/13/2005, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gatohoser
Thanks for the thread shattering comments to the last 2 of you but really its been said about 10million times now. Read the thread if you wanna comment and make every1 come read it..
sorry, i dont read well
Old 08/15/2005, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 35gallonhex
no link but a smooth sided rock with no visible cracks must be harder to colonize inside and out then one that looks like a sponge
Colonized what?? Bacteria or pods?

For bacteria the most surface area no matter how many holes it has is the key and for pods as many hiding places as possible is what you need.

I have found a nice mix never hurt anything.
Old 08/15/2005, 07:40 PM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

Quote:
Originally posted by cyan0069
I made DIY rock (about 45#) a couple of months ago, and still have tons of concrete left. All in all I ended up spending about $50 on supplies. I spent close to $150 on the same amount of live rock. To tell the truth, I am much happier with the GARF rock!
Hey Cyan0069
Do you have any pictures of your rocks? Before and after putting it in the tank?

I have a friend that is wanting to make his own and I would like to see how it looks. I might have him make me a few #'s to stick in my Fuge and sump.

Did you follow the whole GARF Recipe?

------------------------------------------------
Friends don't let friends buy PC lighting.
Old 08/15/2005, 08:10 PM
Burned Out

These pics are of the rock I made after just over two months. The bare spot is what the rock looked like originally.