Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/21/2005, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Building my sump!

Ok i'm building my sump and I don't know what I sould put in it or how to arrange it. Please state your suggestions or show a pic of your sump.
Old 07/22/2005, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

Here is a nice place to look at.

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html
Old 07/22/2005, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

Agreed with above. Melev expains sumps better than anyone I have seen. He is also very helpful with information if you ask. (Hope I am not commiting you to something, Melev!)

speakeraddict
Old 07/24/2005, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

I have already checked out his website, good stuff! But I was hoping for pictures of a tank turned into a sump not a built sump out of acrylic.
Old 07/24/2005, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking the same thing turning a glass 29 gallon into a sump and fuge but have not figured out all the details. I was going to build the baffles out of acrylic but not sure this would work. Any guy with glass sumps who could help out?

Rich
Old 07/24/2005, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

sump

bear with me on this sometimes posting pics is troublesome for me but here's some pic's of my home made sump. The tank is a sixty gallon Oceanic and I can't take credit for the design. I found it on the net somewhere and modified it for me...
Old 07/24/2005, 06:27 PM
I'm not scared, Are you??

ROS, I was thinking about trying the same thing you thought of. Their's one problem with our idea, I've read that sealent for glass tanks will not hold acrylic. I was going to try to cut acrylic baffles an seal them to the glass, however after reading that the sealent would not hold, I don't know what to do either.

What we have hear....Is failure to communicate.
Old 07/24/2005, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Angry Sump

&^%$&#&%^ Check my gallery I put the pics in there but can't seem to get them to post. any suggestions on how to post pics to thread from gallery? Anyway pic001 shows entire tank. 002 shows the right side with protien skimmer calc reactor and 003 shows left side with return pumps and chiller.
Old 07/24/2005, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

sump

I had a local glass company cut pieces for me. Less than 40.00 if I recall correctly.
Old 07/24/2005, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

same problem...

tagging along..

need help with my 29 gallon glass tank
Old 07/24/2005, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Several months ago I built a sump out of a 10 gal glass tank for my 20 gal reef. I used 1/4 inch acrilic for the baffels. I made the baffels a snug fit, beveled the edges with a belt sander and silaconed them in. They are very solid. There is very little pressure on the baffels in a sump.
Old 07/24/2005, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

OK, so we have to cut the baffles out of glass.

I was going to layout the skimmer section on the left, return pump on the middle, and the fuge on the right, basically Melevsreef Model E.

I saw a post where glass was used between the fuge and the return pump with a modified gutter guard fit over the glass. The gutter guard was from Home Depot and fit a certain width glass perfect.

This is the best I have come up with surfing other peoples information on the net.

None of these ideas are mine. Maybe someone can continue to help.

Rich
Old 07/24/2005, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

I live in Depere.

If you want to come by and check out the 20H I turned into a sump, send me a PM. I'd be happy to show you how mine is set up.
Old 08/01/2005, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

I just built a 20gal (20H) with acrylic baffles and inflow chamber. Just use at least 1/4 thick stuff and plenty of Silicon. I ued the layout from Melevs "A" sump. The corner inflow chamber is a one piece of acrylic, heated and bent to 90 degrees with flow holes cut into the bottom edge (after heat and bending). The dimensions are slightlight longer than his layout, the outside baffles are 10inch with a 12 inch center one raised an inch off the bottom. Flows great and holds up well with the thicker acrylic panels.

http://www.melevsreef.com/29g/sump/design.html
http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/s...p_model_a.html