Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Las Vegas Valley Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/22/2005, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Atlantis LFS?

Hi All,

I havent been on the boards or attending to my tank much to much with whats been going on in life these days. Well, I just recently did a 80 gallon water change and redid the rock work in the tank so of course I am really fired up. I was wondering in anyone has much experience with Atlantis on lake mead and if so what did they think? I was in there today and saw a bubble coral I liked and I want to go get it Saturday. I guess I just wanted to check in and see what you people thought before I go there and get that plus another coral.

Adam
Old 07/22/2005, 11:28 PM
TRC Leader

I have yet to go to this store. I've only heard second hand about it. It's on Lake Mead right near 95 right?
Old 07/23/2005, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

IMO I would by no means say that it is one of the best stores in town and there prices are very high for some of the items...For most of the corals that they do have they are over priced. I would say you'd be better off going to tropical expressions off rainbow then getting it at Atlantis. As far as knowledge I've talked to most everyone in the store and I would say they are medocre as far as knowledge goes. Seen better seen worse. For example the bubble coral at atlantis I saw was about $50 correct? Exotic pet stop off Charleston has them for 25-30 (if they happen to have any good ones in at that time)
Old 07/23/2005, 02:33 AM
dognapper

i went there a couple of months ago... i thought the store was clean, the family that owned the store was helpful and friendly. the prices were a little high, but they looked healthy. the coral and anemone tanks looked extremely underlit (NO fluorescents), so i would be wary of that.

personally, i don't care if the staff is knowledgable or not... but IMHO is that it's up to us to know our stuff when we go into the store-- not the store employees... when we stump the guys at Home Depot, i don't hear many people complain about that.

nothing personal Robert, i just would hate to see a decent LFS go down...

isn't Exotic pet stop the one that has monkeys for sale?
Old 07/23/2005, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

i agree with opihi. In general, I thought the place was very good. The family that runs the place seems really nice. I haven't had a look at the prices lately, but I remember it being pricey a few months ago.

I would recommend checking them out, but shop around.
Old 07/23/2005, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

yup exotic pet stop is the store with the monkeys and of course the gerbils the size of dogs (visculas)
Old 07/23/2005, 09:22 PM
dognapper

just asking, because a friend of mine is a relative of one of his exotic breeders. he told me horror stories about that place... how the owner would kick the monkey cages, and how it's not very clean and stuff.

not saying that i would rather buy corals from Atlantis, but in general i'd rather take my business elsewhere.

JMO
Old 07/24/2005, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

It was also rumored that exotic pet stop fed one of the larger snakes a puppy that had parvo...A story that I heard second hand from a former discruntled employee. I have no way of validating it but, from everything that I have heard over the last couple of years, I wouldn't put it off.
Old 07/24/2005, 05:46 AM
captain slacker

Quote:
Originally posted by opihi
isn't Exotic pet stop the one that has monkeys for sale?
i hate that place. the damn poor monkeys; the poor EVERYTHING. I remember the first time i set foot in there, spiderwebs everywhere. They cant get their prices straight, their place reeks, and the people are less helpful than a pile of rocks.
Old 07/24/2005, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies. I agree with opihi that we need to try and know our stuff before going in. Atlantis is a nice clean store and while the staff is very nice they are lacking some knowledge that even a newb like myself knows.

Opihi the owner did show me that he was keeping his corals under flourscents (NO). Why should that concern me? I know my thinking is flawed but wouldnt that mean that when you take home the coral and put into our systems with better lighting they would flourish?

Adam
Old 07/24/2005, 10:49 AM
captain slacker

Quote:
Originally posted by vegasadam
wouldnt that mean that when you take home the coral and put into our systems with better lighting they would flourish?
you have to be careful though; taking them home and throwing them under good light could bleach them. You have to acclimate them to the high powered lights just like the water acclimation process.
Old 07/25/2005, 03:10 AM
dognapper

Quote:
Originally posted by the Undone guy
you have to be careful though; taking them home and throwing them under good light could bleach them. You have to acclimate them to the high powered lights just like the water acclimation process.
thanks Bobby.

you also have to realize that those corals could have been in transit for a week or more... from the reef --> holding tanks --> transit to the U.S. --> wholesalers --> transit to store --> store under NO --> our tank under high output lighting. don't forget that they're in complete darkness during transit.

also, the coral you bought could have been under the store NO for weeks before you bought it. so once you bring it home, it could bleach quickly because it's been weeks since it had decent lighting.
Old 08/15/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LVfishguy
It was also rumored that exotic pet stop fed one of the larger snakes a puppy that had parvo...A story that I heard second hand from a former discruntled employee. I have no way of validating it but, from everything that I have heard over the last couple of years, I wouldn't put it off.
As I was ringing up my order there a couple weeks ago I blatantly asked the girl, "So, I hear that when a puppy kicks it you feed em to the snakes".

She said that there's no way that happened and that animal control comes to pick up the ones that don't make it.

I can't go in that place anymore. Those monkeys smell sooo bad. Their reef tanks looked to be on the verge of a crash. Most of the corals have some serious die off and they still refuse to discount them at all.

Here's the kicker, they're trying to sell majano anemones for $25. Bwaaahahaha.
Old 08/15/2005, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

just came across this online. Looks like exotic pet stop won't be around for much longer..

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/for/91013327.html

perhaps someone with a clue will buy it.