Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/16/2005, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

Anemones

Ok so I have been reallyt pushing to get an anemone for my percula clown. Now I hear that these guy might want to eat my shrimp. Is this true? Those of you that have anemones already are they eating some of your ls or is this an isolated incident???
Old 07/16/2005, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Which anemone are you looking at. I have not had any anemone I have owned eat anything that I did not feed it. That would include RBTA, Gigantea, and S. Haddoni anemones. Now carpet anemones are very sticky and have a powerful sting so pretty much anything that touches this anemone will become dinner. But these are just my experiences and others will vary.
Old 07/16/2005, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

My BTA caught my diamond goby, and when I came home all that I saw of him was his tail sticking out of the anenome's mouth.
Old 07/16/2005, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spankerbob
My BTA caught my diamond goby, and when I came home all that I saw of him was his tail sticking out of the anenome's mouth.
This is what I am scared of. I do not want my fish eaten or my shrimp!!!! I was considering a carpet or a skunk. Both are natural hosts for percula clowns.
Old 07/16/2005, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

how much more rock do i need

i have a 12G nano cube with about 8lbs of live rock and two anenomes how much more rock do i need and how can i lower my nitrate and nitrite before i put some clown fish
Old 07/16/2005, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

why not get a ritteri anemone perc's do host this and they love its long tenticles!!!This anemone are really pretty...
Old 07/17/2005, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

ok thx
Old 07/17/2005, 05:40 AM
Registered Member.

ok first off a ritteri or H.Magnifica will not go into a 12g tank.
second you would need a metal halide lamp above the anenome
third you would need ALOT of current on the anenome

all of these are things you dont have with a 12g nano. if your looking for an anenome give the tank a few more months and get a nice bta/bta clone and enjoy it.

to put a ritteri / H.Magnifica is like putting a 6' / 250 pound man in a 3'x3' room with no windows and a little door and telling him here you go enjoy.

its not right and it wont work.

if you want read thru more threads and do a search on ritteri/H.Magnifica's there are enough threads to give you a good idea as to what your getting into
Old 07/17/2005, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Thread police!!!! Some one highjacked my thread!!!!!!
Old 07/17/2005, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Milkshakeboi
why not get a ritteri anemone perc's do host this and they love its long tenticles!!!This anemone are really pretty...
I believe your advice was directed at me and my tank is 75 gal. Will a ritteri mess with other livestock in my tank? This is my main concern right now is keeping all my ls on a prosperous path.
Old 07/17/2005, 10:01 AM
Registered Member.

the 75 should be ok temp wise as i have seen some captive ritteri's that are about 24" in captivity granted it was a 20kgallon reef still thats nice potential. as far as the livestock it would be as with any other anenome opportunity feeders if a sickly fish wanders by and is caught then its a meal but they arent like carpet anenomes but then again if it can grab and hold it will be a meal
Old 07/17/2005, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

thx for the advice but how much should i put in i heard a good 15lbs should do it
Old 07/17/2005, 12:11 PM
Registered Member.

they like to be as high to the surface as you can get with ALOT OF TURBULENT FLOW. if you can provide one that with intense lighting you will be more than ok. but the hard part is finding a healthy one to start
Old 07/17/2005, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

What about 2 anemones in the same tank. Say a bubble tip and and a ritteri?
Old 07/17/2005, 01:10 PM
Money Spender

ritteri anemones are very difficult to keep. i wouldnt recommend these to anyone who is ust starting out and doesnt have a VERY stable aquarium system. they require MH lighting, and VERY high flow. IMO i wouldnt waste your money on a ritteri anemone. it will most likely die and youll be out of a decent amount of money. just go with BTA or something that you KNOW you can keep alive. also, i see your 75gal is a FOWLR, what lighting do you have over the tank.
Old 07/17/2005, 01:13 PM
Registered Member.

as stated above high flow high light stable tank. honestly i wouldnt put one in anything less than a 100g reef with 250wat mh bulbs minimum and sit the anenome at the surface of the water with very high flow.

getting healthy ones in is difficult to start and if not in the proper environment they tend to deteriorate very quickly
Old 07/17/2005, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

A ritteri anemone is an absolutely horrible choice for a first anemone. They are one of the most demanding anemones to keep and as already stated finding a healthy one can be difficult.

A BTA would be a much better choice.
Old 07/17/2005, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I don't believe BTA's host percs.

I am changing over top a reef tank as we speak. As for lighting I have 430 watts of T-5's. That gives me almost 6 watts per gallon. Regardless, I will heed the advice and avoid the ritteri.
Old 07/17/2005, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't believe BTA's host percs
Yes, they are not natural hosts for A. percula. However, this pairing has been successful numerous times in captivity.
Old 07/17/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm....I could try it. I guess the reality of it is that it's hit or miss that it will host even if it is a natural host. Is it true BTA's will multiply?
Old 07/18/2005, 05:18 AM
Registered Member.

if you want make room for a S.Haddoni they get huge and eat fish but i have seen them host more percula in my area than even saddleback clowns. but no matter what its hit or miss i had occellaris in with carpets/bta's/lta's and they hosted my powerhead of all things no matter whata i did so for all we know your fish may jump right in or may never.
Old 07/18/2005, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Ok-

I went with the BTA. Thanks everybody for your opinion. I hope it's a BTA. I hear horror stories about things selling as something their not.

The little guy has be scratching my head already. I would think he would move higher on my rock towards the light. Right now he looks like he is moving down. His current position certainly looks like he would be sacrificing some light. Odd.
Old 07/18/2005, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Well it might now be totally odd for the anemone to move down in the tank. If the lighting it is in now is more powerful than the lights it was under then the lights are causing stress on the anemone. Thus it is moving lower into the tank where the light is not as intense as it is higher. Given time it will adjust to the lighting and possibly move back up.
Old 07/19/2005, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Ok- Now I really need help. My BTA is under my rock. He looks all small and sickly. Is there anything I can do???
Old 07/20/2005, 01:22 AM
Registered Member

There is nothing much you can do. You just have to wait. After it adjust to your water and light, it will start to expand little by little. After a month, if it's happy, it will start to move to higher ground.