Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Las Vegas Valley Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/26/2005, 02:56 AM
captain slacker

Question I need to get a tank drilled...any recommendations?

So my new 55ish gallon is about 48" long, 15" wide, and 18" tall. I need to get it drilled but im confused on how i should drill it.

Do i want to go with 2 overflows? (one in each corner)

Or do i want to go with a single overflow in the center?

What would be the advantages/disadvantages? And what size holes are advised for a tank of this size?

Lastly, where is a good place to get a tank drilled?

thanks everyone!~
Old 05/26/2005, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Get it drilled in the center. Over flow boxes in the corners are ugly Get two holes I can't remember for sure but I think 1.25" for a 1" bulkhead and .75" for your .5" return. Then you can put it almost flush with your wall. I had 4 holes drilled and 2 overflow boxes installed in a 110 at trop aquarium for $130. I had the boxes built into the corners and wished I had done one box in the center.
Old 05/26/2005, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

If you drill your drains so they fit a 1 1/2 bulkhead. (2 1/2 hole) Then you can make a standpipe for it and things will be much quieter. And I personally prefer having the overflows in the corners. It's doesn't really matter too much. I also don't know who can drill it for you. You are going to have to find a glass guy.
Old 05/26/2005, 11:49 AM
dognapper

i'd opt for the corner overflow also. a width of 15" is not that much, and a center overflow will cramp your rockscaping too much.

i'd also go really big on your bulkheads, at least 1-1/2". a 1" bulkhead will usually max out just under 600gph. a 1-1/2" bulkhead handles double that. if you want more flow later on down the line, it's much easier to just get a bigger pump knowing that the bulkhead can handle it. besides, i don't think you can enlarge a hole in glass... i think.

oh yeah, bulkheads vary in the OD size, so don't drill until you get your bulkheads to make sure that they will fit.

j
Old 05/26/2005, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

I guess two 1.5" bulkheads are a great idea. Then you can flow 2400 GPH through your 55 G.
Old 05/26/2005, 12:46 PM
dognapper

you could do that... i was suggesting that he use one as a return.

i just never understood why you would wouldn't try to match the return plumbing ID with the size of the drain. your pump's capacity is already limited with head pressure and gravity, so why try to force it through a skinny tube?
Old 05/26/2005, 01:25 PM
TRC Leader

If you are going to drill, and you overflow will not take care of all of the gph you want to push through the main tank, drill for a closed loop too. Powerheads suck.
Old 05/26/2005, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

From my experience with a 55 G. Space is limited. With one spillover in the center you will have three unobstructed panes to view from. The spillover in mine was 4"X4" , in a 55 4" is valuable space. With a 1" bulkhead you will have room for a .5" return in the box so you do not have to worry about hanging hoses over the back. I had the 1" bulkhead plumbed with PVC directly to my sump and the pump discharge was plumbed with PVC back through the spillover box. The return tee'd off at the top of the box and went to both sides. If you have a pump rated at 600 GPH by the time it overcomes head pressure and the angles the tank will probably be getting about half that which is plenty I think. I have personally owned a 110 G. with a spillover in each corner and I sold it because the spillovers looked terrible especially for a show tank. Obviously you're going to do what you want but two spillovers would be overkill on a 55 in my opinion.If you want the center of your tank open put one spillover in the corner and plumb the return to the opposite side of the aquarium.
Old 05/26/2005, 02:00 PM
dognapper

Bobby: i guess it also depends on if you're going reef or not, and what type of corals you're going to want to keep. IME, 300 gph is simply inadequate for any stony corals, period.

mikebon: your post just validated my point against a center overflow. if your chamber was 4" x 4" with a 1" bulkhead, that reduces the width of B's tank to under a foot. that's pretty narrow, and would force you to stack rocks against the back of the tank-- creating dead spots. not desirable in any tank, IMO.

but you're right, it just depends on each individual. neither of us is "right", but we're providing alternate views that B can use to make his decision.

Jeff
Old 05/26/2005, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Ok here are a few things that I considered with mine. Very little space under a 55 G. among the sump/refugium,skimmer,return pump,ballast,power strips. If you can fit all that under there and still have a refuge or wet/dry that can handle more flow, then go for higher flow. I have a dolphin 800 rated 800 GPH externally mounted. I have it split after the discharge one side goes through a UV sterilizer and the other back to the tank. I estimate that the total GPH returned is about 350 at best. I have to close off on the return valves because my amiricle 100 wet/dry that measures 12X24 cant keep up.The 1" bulkhead has no problem. I do not know how you could fit a sump or refuge underneath that can effectively handle much more flow. I use a red sea wave maker to power four maxi-jet 400 power heads for increased circulation.
Old 06/01/2005, 11:40 AM
captain slacker

Quote:
Originally posted by TippyToeX
If you are going to drill, and you overflow will not take care of all of the gph you want to push through the main tank, drill for a closed loop too. Powerheads suck.
explain? =)

I'm not going to get too fancy too quickly when it comes to what type of corals i plan on getting. After all I currently only have 4x55watt PC lighting. And I'm a low maintenance type of guy, so i supose that higher flow is better right? I currently have a Mag7 pushing my 55 hex. I'd like to maximize that pump as much as I can. I like the idea of having the plumming on opposite sides so the flow is in one direction rather than randomly throughout the tank. But you both have me torn between a center spillway and having one in each corner!

I am a bit confused though, are you saying TWO spillways, one in each corner? or just ONE spillway, and naked return plumbing on the other side without a spillway? I do plan on getting the dual 1.5" bulkheads and using standpipes.

And as far as my Refugium, I am custom building a stand that will handle a 35 gallon tank as the refugium=) So i do not think i have to worry about the capacity for flow through the refugium. It's going to be pretty effing tall.
Old 06/02/2005, 11:34 AM
captain slacker

i called trop aquariums, and ATM, neither install overflows...there has to be somewhere in town that does this. arg!
Old 06/02/2005, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Trop aquarium did my 110. I think they sent it off to LA
Old 06/02/2005, 06:32 PM
captain slacker

err imma go punch someone.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikebon111
Trop aquarium did my 110. I think they sent it off to LA
Old 06/02/2005, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Greg is the guy I was dealing with.
I have an extra CPR CS-100 overflow box if you decide to go over the side.
Oh ya ......... When are you going to have more xenia?
Old 06/03/2005, 12:33 AM
TRC Leader

Hey Bobby, a closed loop would be one drain (does not need an overflow to cover it, a strainer would be fine) anywhere in the tank to supply water directly to an external pump. That pump would run the water right back up to the tank with as many outlets as you would like to have. You would get the water movement you want without unsightly powerheads. It has nothing to do with an overflow.

The reason I asked is that the return from the one overflow might not give enough flow in the tank alone (depending on what you are keeping).

I think one overflow is plenty, and 1 1/2" would be pretty nice. No mad flow going through your sump, and a good return supply. Just my .02
Old 06/03/2005, 02:34 AM
captain slacker

im sure to have more xenia in another month or two. I'll make sure i let everyone know before i yank it all out, i was just so frustrated with seeing nothing but xenia. I lost my blenny for like 2 days.

Amy when you say one overflow, do you mean one overflow, and the return plumbed in the same overflow, or just a return line on the other side of the tank? I think i have decided on corner overflow's; but my dilema resides with, do i get ONE overflow, and then another hole for the return plumbing on the other side of the tank, or do i make TWO overflows, one to cover up the return plumbing, and the other to take water to the sump.
Old 06/05/2005, 04:48 PM
TRC Leader

Hmm.. I think having the return plumbing drilling into the the tank is a matter of personal taste.

You can have one overflow and have the return hole drilled right next to it in the same overflow. That would hide everything well. That is how most "reef ready" tanks are drilled.
Old 06/07/2005, 03:10 PM
captain slacker

sigh...I just spoke with Lisa at Trop Aquarium and she said that the manufacturer will only drill my tank if it is one of theirs =( Dallas do you have any clue what brand this 55 gal is? or where you purchased it?

After talking with Lisa it seems that their 55 gallon tanks of the same dimensions are only $55, and an extra $75 to have an overflow installed. Arggg
Old 06/07/2005, 07:52 PM
dognapper

the tank was desert_reefer's (Jeff), not Dallas'. it was pretty heavy glass, and i think it was a Lee-Mar tank. does it have black silicone?
Old 06/07/2005, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Give Tanks Alot a call. That guy has tanks for so cheap you could probably score a reef ready 55 G. for less than the price of modifying yours.
Old 06/08/2005, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Please be careful with tank-a-lot tanks! I have had to clean up too many messes from their tanks cracking and flooding people's houses.
Old 06/08/2005, 10:03 AM
captain slacker

Quote:
Originally posted by LVfishguy
Please be careful with tank-a-lot tanks! I have had to clean up too many messes from their tanks cracking and flooding people's houses.
yea i dont even think that i'll bother.

no black silicone jeff, just regular as far as i can tell.
Old 06/14/2005, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

so how is the tank drilling going?
Old 06/14/2005, 11:15 AM
captain slacker

not so good. I am not so sure what i want to do at this point. I'll probably end up just purchasing a brand new tank from Trop Aquariums (anyone tell me how their tanks are?) and have them drill it for an extra $75 taking my total up to around $130. Im primarily bummed that i purchased the 55 gal sitting in my garage for $50 before talking to trop aquariums about drilling.