Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/30/2005, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Fuji S7000 Help!

Hi

I have just brought a Fuji S7000 Camera

and I want to know the best settings for this camera to take pics of stuff in my tank

I,m a bit of a nooob when it comes to cameras, the first problem I,m having is that cause the fish are moving my pics are blurred

any help is very much appreciated

Thank's
Old 05/30/2005, 10:03 AM
RC Mod

this article:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/gr/index.htm
goes over the basics and will help you understand what settings you should use to get the kinds of shots you want.
don't be afraid to try the flash on the fish pictures- just make sure you point the camera downwards slightly.
Greg
Old 05/31/2005, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

For close up shots use the macro. Take lots of photos. That is the beauty of digital, no film to waste. I try not to use my flash. Invest in a tripod to get some good night shots.
Old 06/03/2005, 11:50 AM
Member ACROS Reef Club

I have same camera and have shot most of my tank shots in Auto, mainly because I do not understand the camera totally. But they have come out great. I use a tripod and auto timer also to help with any shake....Good luck I love my s7000
Old 06/03/2005, 12:09 PM
Eternally Discombobulated

Check out this website for an amazing tutorial/lesson on everything you could possibly need to know to get started taking really good pictures with your digital camera.

http://www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons/index.html

I learned a lot reading through the lessons, as have many others here, and because of it have seen marked improvement in my own photography skills (though I still have a LONG way to go). The best part about it is that everything is explained so clearly and is very easy to understand.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 06/05/2005, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

I agree with VoidRaven read and study the tutorial/lesson that GHO/Gregory spent so much time on for us amateur digital photographers. I learned so much more from his lessons then the digital class I took and if you ever have a question don't hesitate to pm Gregory he makes the time for use newbies!

As to what format I use I find that using manual, adjusting shutter speed and f/stop plus shooting in RAW format works better when taking shots of tanks with the lighting we use. As of yet I have not done any white balance adjustments but will try that soon.

One last thing PRACTICE taking pictures it helps!
JDT
Old 06/07/2005, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

here's some pics of my tank using my fuji s7000...still trying to figure out what works best...

Old 06/07/2005, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

what are your settings those are some awsome close ups mine always seem to have a blurred look to them and i,m using a tri-pod
Old 06/07/2005, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

I do most of my setting manually, so it would be hard to tell you what to set yours at. If your lighting is different then mine it would be a different setting. If you select manual you will see a light meter gauge, it works but dont count on it too much. you can also use the histogram setting. trust me when I say I'm just a amature at this. My wife is the one with the studio.......

Old 06/08/2005, 12:38 AM
Keeper of Brown Corals

Awsome shots! Great work!