Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/18/2002, 01:31 AM
Premium Member

Anemone moving awayfrom light

I have an E.quadricolor for almost 4 months now. It used to be kept under PC lighting and the anemone attached itself in a rock crevice right under the lighting. It stayed there happily for 3 months until I upgrade the lighting to 150w MH.

I slowly accliamte it to the new lighting by increasing the photo period starting from 3 hrs/day and adding one more hour everyday until 12. The anemone then starts to wonder away into the low light area and stayed there.

Yesterday it moved on to the glass and I was able to get it back onto the rock again, today it is already starting to depart.

It is home to a pair of A. clarkii and I feed it regularly.

Any idea why it is behaving that way?
Old 03/18/2002, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Re: Anemone moving awayfrom light

Quote:
Originally posted by Planoi
Hi Win,

Any idea why it is behaving that way?

It is trying to tell you that it doesn't like that bright light.

These animals typically live in crevices with the foot and column often buried out of the light.

You need to provide with a nices shady cave or place to live.

Old 03/18/2002, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Re: Re: Anemone moving awayfrom light

Quote:
Originally posted by rshimek

It is trying to tell you that it doesn't like that bright light.

These animals typically live in crevices with the foot and column often buried out of the light.

You need to provide with a nices shady cave or place to live.

Wouldn't that go against the general recommendation of providing plenty of light for host anemones?

You mentioned that its foot and column are buried out of light, does this imply that the oral disc is not?

thanks.
Old 03/18/2002, 02:08 PM
Moderator Clone

Re: Re: Re: Anemone moving awayfrom light

Quote:
Originally posted by Planoi

Wouldn't that go against the general recommendation of providing plenty of light for host anemones?

You mentioned that its foot and column are buried out of light, does this imply that the oral disc is not?

thanks.
What you'll find is these anemones often attach in a cave or overhang, then reach out and up toward the light source - gives them the ability to put their foot somewhere secure (and the foot is the most important part, injury-wise, they seem to be able to withstand all sorts of abuse to their tentacles and oral disk, but damage to the foot seems more likely to result in bacterial infection and ultimate demise of the anemone), and regulate the amount of light they receive. FWIW, I've seen mine stretch 8-10" toward a light source, so your short stocky anemone can reach pretty far if it wants to.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 03/18/2002, 03:11 PM
dazed and confused

I recently had a BTA split. The "original" half stayed in the rock crevice, but the new half wandered around for about 3 weeks. I finally had to manually remove it from the back glass as I feared it would clog the overflow. I put the anenome in a 2" diameter PVC elbow. Right now, the anenome is sitting in the PVC elbow in the middle of the sand bed. Should I move it near some rock work? Or is it fine where it is?

As for my tank specs, I have a 29 gallon eclipse tank with 110 watts of PC lighting.
Old 03/18/2002, 04:41 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by gramma royale
I put the anenome in a 2" diameter PVC elbow. Right now, the anenome is sitting in the PVC elbow in the middle of the sand bed. Should I move it near some rock work? Or is it fine where it is?
Your anemone doesn't know the difference between a PVC elbow and a deep rock crevice. If your anemone was unhappy, it would move (but you've already experienced that!). So, I'd say, let it be.

Kevin

UCLA: 100
Stanford: 94
Southern California: 84
Oklahoma State: 48
Arkansas: 43
LSU: 40

Go PAC 10!
Old 03/19/2002, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Kevin, [thanks]
Old 03/19/2002, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

I have a similar situation with splitting e. quadricolors. If I want to move them to a new tank, but don't want to move the rock, how would I remove the anenomes without harming the foot?
Old 03/19/2002, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

It may not be possible to do this, depending on how the foot is attached.

Some folks put a piece of ice in a plastic sack and touch it to the foot, this may stimulate the foot to withdraw and detach slightly, after which it may be gently peeled back.

I am sure other folks will have other suggestions...