Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/24/2005, 05:39 PM
reef addict

fun meet marred by a theft

hi guys.
I thought it was fun having you all down but I have a problem.
I am missing something I know was sitting on my computer desk before everyone showed up.
It is a sony psp portable mp3/game machine. It is not here where I put it when the first person showed up wich was Joe. All I want is the item back no questions asked.
The item is worth over 300 dollars so this is no small matter.
right now I am very upset and really astonished that this would even happen. I know most of you are thinking I misplaced it or am jumping the gun but I know I put it on my desk when Joe showed up because I was using it.
So at this point I ask that it is returned to me. And I am sorry to anyone who could be offended by my post.
Old 04/24/2005, 06:11 PM
PPP for HETMARC

I am so sorry that someone was so classless as to steal from you! If you do not get your system returned, maybe we can have a "replacement" raffle at the next meeting. I feel awful that that happened after opening up your home to us. Please, whoever "borrowed" the PSP... return it!
BTW, thank you for a wonderful meeting and allowing us to see your fantastic tank. Now everyone is going to see my algae pit next month and it will be such a letdown! My valonia has never looked better. Ooooo, check out the redhair! Actually, it is improving week by week.
Once again, thank you for hosting and I understand your hurt over the theft.
patty
Old 04/24/2005, 06:19 PM
reef addict

thanks for your words patty. was great to finally meet you and talk to you, I had fun untill I went to use my mp3 player to unwind after all the hectic day. and found it was not where I left it. I have since torn apart my house and its just gone. S at this point I have to say people that host beware, there is a theif amoung us. On the other hand shame on me for leaving it out, but I never thought Id have to worry given the people that were comming over.
so once again please return it, or if you have any info please tell me. I just want my property returned, if it is brought back either by the thief or whatever I will take it back and just shut the door no questions.
I really am sorry to be posting this on our site but I am really hurt by this.
Old 04/24/2005, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

Wow, I am really sorry to hear this. It was my first meeting and I realy enjoyed looking at vypr's system. I really hope that it is just misplaced and I hope this gets resolved.
Old 04/24/2005, 06:25 PM
Moved On

hell if you have it you could al least put it in something and just leave it at his house that way u dont even have to see him. really sucks dave. i hope you get it back. i know how much you like that thing
Old 04/24/2005, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

wow Dave,

I was just wanting to post on the exceptional meeting that you had and how wonderful it was to see your new home and the tank. Personally, I love the way it appears to be far deeper than it truly is, a great job on the aquascaping. Also the hospitality afforded to us by you and your wife was awesome.

Then this, how utterly ridiculous that a fellow reefer would even do something this poor. It would be terrible if we had to have people willing to make a sacrifice already in opening their homes, have to have armed guards watching their items.

Please keep us informed on what transpires with this and hopefully someone's conscience will work and they will see what they did and return it.

The unfortunate thing Dave is not that you are posting, but that you had to in the first place. On beahalf of the club please accept our apologies for this event.

Kip
Old 04/24/2005, 06:29 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by pattylt
maybe we can have a "replacement" raffle at the next meeting.

Old 04/24/2005, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Oh my goodness, that is simply ridiculous. Please keep us informed.
I didn't get a chance to talk to you Dave and introduce myself but I can certainly agree with others thanking you for your hospitality and the kindness of your family. You certainly have a great setup. Best of luck with this situation!
Old 04/24/2005, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Wow, i like kip i was planning on posting a thankyou, not an FU to someone else, that is unbeleavable. Let us pray and hope that it is returned, if not i will deff pitch in, i felt like i should anyway, it was my first meeting, and felt like you did a lot, and really opened your house, family and even provided food and beverages. plus. i know how much work goes into cleaning, preparing food, (that isn;t necisary one bit) and geting your tank and the presintations ready. Again i am very sorry, and hope that it is returned. ALso, you have a wonderful setup, like i told you today at your house, you have a tank (and im sure many of you do i just havn't seen them all yet) that truely inspires me, i hope that someday my tank will look as incredible as yours.
tim
Old 04/24/2005, 07:27 PM
R.I.P

Thats to much, I like the others was going say great meeting & nice finally putting faces to names,Im real sorry to hear that.
Old 04/24/2005, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

I feel your pain and its understandable that all you want is to get your property back from this thief with "no questions asked".

But this sends the wrong message. There is a thief in this club and it tells him/her that it's ok to keep stealing from a host's house and there wont be any consequences if he or she gets caught. This person needs to be identified, punished, and excluded from all meetings.

File a police report immediately and give them a list of all attendees. The person that stole your PSP is likely to have a documented criminal history. The police can quickly check if anyone has a history of theft and most likely narrow it down to one individual. It's shocking sometimes to find out who people really are behind their public persona.

It may seem harsh over a $300 item but left unchallanged, this incident will cause alot of harm to the club. Not only will it raise a cloud of suspicion and apprehension among members, it will also make many pontential hosts reluctant to open their homes and businesses in the future. We should not let one misguided punk ruin the club for everyone else.

But whatever you decide to do, again sorry for your loss and I hope you recover your property soon.

K.
Old 04/24/2005, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

I wasn't at the meeting, wish I was, and I also think this is a terrible thing. However, as much as I may agree with Kip, it may be a courtesy to notify those whose names you will be dropping. .02...

Shawn
Old 04/24/2005, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

I feel for you. At least the lowlife that robbed my house just before X-Mas was a stranger, (as far as I know). You opened your home in an act of kindness, and someone screws you. It almost makes me glad that my house is way to small to host a meeting. I hope you find this loser and get your property back. I say in addition to having him/her arrested, beat his/her ***!!
Bill
Old 04/24/2005, 09:06 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by bmb527
I say in addition to having him/her arrested, beat his/her ***!!
Bill
ill help.
Old 04/24/2005, 09:09 PM
Ohhhhhh, pretty colors :)

Wow, truely unbelievable....Im speechless. Its hard to believe that someone would do something like that to a fellow club member.

Dave, other than the theft it was a great meeting. Thank you for inviting us into your home and taking the time to make the meeting happen.

Nate

As family members wept,
And officers consoled one another,
We realized the magnitude of our loss
As we bury yet another Law Enforcement brother
Old 04/24/2005, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

WOW, that hurts. Sorry to hear that. I would even like to see "replacement" raffle of some sort. I didnt even attend and I would like to help.

Lewis
Old 04/24/2005, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Wow... can't believe that someone would do this, simply despicable. I'm in on the replacement idea also.

Well very nice setup, and great looking livestock. Thanks for the chat about the CLs & frags, love the flow in your 120.

- Joe
Old 04/24/2005, 09:57 PM
Gun runner

Dave,
I don't know what to say. I am utterly speechless. This was my first meeting and on the way home I commented to Kip that I would like to host a meeting. I now am wondering if that is such a good idea. Although 99.9% of the people are honest and ethical it just takes one to ruin it. I am truely sorry for the black eye this has given the club.
Everything I got from you looks great in my 120 tank. It will stay there til the 150 is set up. Thanks for having us in your home and again sorry for the actions of one bonehead.
Steve
Old 04/24/2005, 09:58 PM
Be the valve.

Dave-
I read this thread twice to make sure I was not on medication. You've got to be sh****ing me. Your wife, your pisol of a son, and you are so gracious. I stood at your desk and watched with great interest as your son strutted his stuff on the computer. I can not tell you how sorry I am.
I agree with K. Give the authorities the names of all of us who attended. We need to stop this right now. I truly hope this is a mistake but I'd rather we all appologize for over-reacting than do nothing.
I also agree with Patty. You invited us in to your home (a nice one I might add) and "we" (the collective we) took advantage of you. I'm sorry buddy.
As far as I'm concerned, future NCAS raffles are devoted to paying you back.

ANY OBJECTIONS?

Del
Old 04/24/2005, 10:08 PM
Gun runner

Sounds good to me.
Steve
Old 04/24/2005, 10:51 PM
R.I.P

I have no problem with that.
Old 04/24/2005, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

i will donate as many frags as i can for a raffle, and maybe we can have a jar or somthing, just for open donations, i would throw some cash in there as well.
tim
Old 04/24/2005, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Thats fine with me as well
Old 04/24/2005, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

I wasn't at the meeting but let me say...what a load of s***. People like the moron who stole this item have a major impact on the continuity of the organization. I don't know how many people were there, but every single one of them needs to be questioned and the perp needs to be weeded out. Having the club pay for it is fine but it doesn't solve the problem. I know I would be less inclined to host future meetings due to this type of behavior. The folks that run things need to verify that it was in fact stolen (and not just misplaced or lost), and then take corrective action by questioning in detail every individual at this meeting.

Whomever commited this act is undermining the credibility of all who participate. What a load of garbage that someone would have the audacity to steal from someone's home. This is serious stuff...
Old 04/24/2005, 11:39 PM
reef addict

Man thatnks guys for the kind words. Its nice to know I do have a couple freinds out there. I think that we need to have a log of some sort with full names that way the hosts know who is in their homes.
I know alot of the reef club members but some people bring guests and whatnot and we are also growing so fast its hard to keep up.
I really feel a little ashamed to be "tattling" about a material possession but I wonder what else is missing. But I feel my families safty was violated a bit today with having a theif in my home. I also wonder is my home marked for future "excursions". I am in the process of bolting everything down right now. Anyone have any spare lag bolts? and any ideas as to how to keep my rocking chair able to rock while bolted down? I have taken an inventory and it looks as tho everything else is accounted for.
Im really not sure what to say about the generosity of you guys. I really appreciate it and It isnt necessary and it isnt your responsibility to replace it. and also shame on me for not putting it away, I should have put it away and the temptation would not have been there.
btw anyone want to buy some more corals? need to replace my stolen goods