Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/23/2005, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

The First thing you look at??

I am assuming I am not the only one that looks directly at one specific thing in their own tank before anything else (maybe I am, and I'm just weird). BUT...What is the first thing your eyes are directed to when you look at your tank?

At the moment I always look at these new orange zoas I got first. Before that it was my bicolor blenny because he is so fun to watch.

What about you guys?
Old 02/23/2005, 10:03 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Clowns in their anenomes
Old 02/23/2005, 10:20 PM
Fish nerd

Ditto to Jordan: gotta check to see what's up with the clowns, usually hoping for some eggs (never happened yet) as well as checking to see how happy my anemones are that day. My anemones are my quick-check on how the tank is doing.

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 02/23/2005, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

I just started my first tank and it is cycling, so right now all i have to look at is the beautiful rock I like looking at it and thinking about what is hiding inside that rock that I don't see.
Old 02/23/2005, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

What kind of clowns and anemone's do you guys have?

I have 2 percs, and I am always hoping they will lay some eggs(even though I cant care for them) or I even woncer if they are paired.

mimmies- thats funny, when I baught my second batch of LR and had it curing in a seperate tank, I did the same thing when i looked at it...thinking to myself, what all is living inside these rocks. Its sad, but true!

Anyone else got a favorite thing that they always look at frst when approaching their tank?
Old 02/23/2005, 10:49 PM
Moved On

i look at this...

Old 02/23/2005, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

The first thing I look at are my clowns as well, they get right in my face everytime I come near the tank. Now I check out the small zoo frags I got, I love seeing them pop open wide, and check to see if they are spreading!!!
Old 02/23/2005, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
[welcome] mimmies11

I normally check out my T. Derasa. He's been my 'canary in a coal mine'. Also a good judge of my water that day.
Old 02/23/2005, 11:08 PM
Corgilover

My lawnmower blennie who greets me in the morning in front of the glass.
Old 02/23/2005, 11:11 PM
Moved On

i look at a small colony of green zoas that just popped up a couple days ago, i look and count, because every day it seems like there is another one
Old 02/23/2005, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

I look for my Fuzzy lion fish.
Old 02/23/2005, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

Normally not anyone thing or fishie in particular, just who comes up to the glass to greet me first... Lately, I look at the bubble first, since he'd been looking a little ill and shriveled- he's doing much better now- as y'all can understand, I'm constantly keeping a close eye on him.
Old 02/24/2005, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

i'd say my blue milli cause every time i look at it its got another branch coming out some where new and its just a beautiful coral
Old 02/24/2005, 12:13 AM
Xenia Philanthropist

I always look at the glass... to see what algae I need to scrub away.

Is that wrong?

After that, I check to make sure no snails are suctioned onto the powerheads and rescue the victims. Then I check the pH monitor and temp. Then I look for aiptasias.

Once all that is done, I can finally look at the good stuff. I always look first at the fish and watch them for a few minutes. Then I go coral by coral through the tank admiring each as I go... I usually start with the zos.

Crystal
Old 02/24/2005, 01:56 PM
compulsive fragomaniac

I always look over the Acros first to make sure none are bleaching or dying.

Then I look for Bowser because he is getting really old and I'm afraid he won't come out one day.
Old 02/24/2005, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

I always end up checking every acro for polyp extension/possible bleaching. After that I just kind of blankly stare at the tank for about half an hour.
Old 02/24/2005, 02:04 PM
cubed

Nice pic Chris!

I do a quick head count in both tanks, then top off the water. After things have opened up I check the health of the corals. Today in the 30 I noticed that a small colony of zoos seem to have developed the fungus. . Those will come out later this afternoon for a peroxide dip and then be placed on the sand bed to monitor their health.

Crystal...I check the glass too and put off scraping for another day. I suffer from a bad case of LRS. (lazy reefer syndrome)
Old 02/24/2005, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

the first thing I look at is the floor. Gotta make sure nothing is overflowing, or leaking. Then when im sure everythings okay, I go check out the milliepora's.
Old 02/24/2005, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

I check out my couple of acro and monti frags. I'm new to SPS's and paranoid about their health. As I am doing this I have to try to look past my mated pair of clowns, they are always begging at the glass!
Old 02/24/2005, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Usually my fish because they're such beggars that they swim back and forth right in front of anything else I may want to look at.
Old 02/24/2005, 02:54 PM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

The mess that the scissor tail goby makes. I accidentally put this fish in my reef tank when I was transferring fish from other tanks. The only way to get him out now is to take all the rock out and I dont see that happening anytime soon.
Old 02/24/2005, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

I am too a glass watcher to see if I need to get the scraper out..
Old 02/24/2005, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
LOL, I thought I was the only lunatic scraper. I run that magnet over my acrylic 2 sometimes 3 times a day. Seems when my snails slither across it, it gets sticky and schtuff just seems to stick to it. A thankless job, but someones gotta do it.

Russ
Old 02/24/2005, 03:58 PM
Bass Assassin

The first thing I look at are my clowns and anemones as well. Reason being that my anemones are huge. I just had my BTA split for the 3rd time this year. Although I have been thinking about selling them because I only have a 75 and real estate is getting pretty pricey in there.
Old 02/24/2005, 03:59 PM
Reeeeeeefer

I check the two BTA's first... make sure they are looking alive... and yes, the clowns are right in front to say hello... always blocking the view

Then... yes, I look on the side of the tank, looking at the front piece of glass... for algae.. and scrub.