Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/19/2005, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

attn dayton ohio area reefers

how would you rate the lfs around dayton?

any good places others may not know about?

mostly your standard lfs not too good. a good one in dayton is gerbers, off of dryden rd close to 725.
Old 02/20/2005, 12:07 AM
U.S.M.A.S.

There are none, Gerbers is ok but prices are high. The best was Hawks in Lima but he closed. I mainly shop online now for 99% of my stuff. AS far as rating them I would say poor. I have not been to Marine Solutions but it sound like it would easily be the best place in and around Dayton. There are a few others in town but not worth going too, The only place I go is Jacks for salt and everything else is purchased online. I am even going to stop going to Jacks because now PetSmart in Huber sell IO Salt. I wish Jacks would carry some of the same stuff Pet Solutions sells online and took care of there animals the same, then jacks maybe good since they are one company
Old 02/20/2005, 12:50 AM
R I P we miss you...

I go to Preble Pets in Eaton. They are small, but their prices are fair and they many times honor on line prices if they can.

They will also be opening a store in Springboro I think in April.

They said we could have one of our meetings there after they are up and running.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 02/20/2005, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

I like to get fish from Gerber's. I've never had a problem with any illness from them, they don't mind feeding them before you select if you ask, and the selection is great.

At this point, I don't think Gerber's is very good for corals. Their prices are too high for what they are, and the selection isn't very good. Hopefully now that they're expanding a little more that will change.

So far, I haven't found a place that is particularly good for corals. (I'll be visiting Marine Solutions in a couple weeks, but haven't been there yet.)
Old 02/20/2005, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

Gerbers is a joke

Marine solutions has fair pricing and is kool to bs with , plus hte set up is jsut cool.

There was another little guy in centerville (Joel) I cant remember the name of his place, but he had the best prices etc.. around for a bit ,but it appears he is shut down.

anyway anyone that sees this thread should visit www.daytonreef.com it is a young club in the dayton area so join us in our reef geek ways

Jake
Old 02/20/2005, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

I visited that place in centerville once before he moved. He had a really neat setup with waves and views on three sides. Last I heard he had moved into a smaller warehouse-type building behind the store-front that he was in. I haven't tried to visit for quite a while though so don't know if he's shut down completely or not.
Old 02/20/2005, 11:43 AM
U.S.M.A.S.

Aquariums ETC was the name and he is gone, He is setting up another store on franklin Street near Centerville High School, but I would guess he would not be around to much longer
Old 02/21/2005, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Just fish-it!

I see nobody's been to just fish-it aquatics in downtown dayton. or if someone has...they haven't posted about it. I went there and fish isn't his main speciality but corals are. He has some beautiful corals. I bought a small brown polyp rock and a small mushroom from him and they're doing gret in my tank. The brown polyps are starting to grow all over the little rock now. Just fish-it aquatics is in downtown dayton. their website is: fish it.net (no space in between fish it, the censor keeps trying to bleep out the last part of the webby name..if you know what it says put together!) if you want to check it out. He may be a little over priced but what I payed for on my polyps and shroom..which he combined together (only paid 20 bucks) it was really worth it. check it out! Take care! Hunter
Old 02/21/2005, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Is that the place in the Oregon District? I went there once and thought he had nice stuff (and some strange ideas), but haven't been back.
Old 02/21/2005, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

yep...that's him. He's a really nice guy but he does have strange things to say. He puts emerald crabs in EVERY tank. He says the emeralds haven't touched his corals or polyps one bit. so I didn't trust him too much on that. but I still like his stuff. I also ended up getting 12 blue legged hermits since he sells them 99 cents a crab. and he sells his carribean live rock (I think it was carribean, don't hold me to it) for 2.99 a pound but he ended up giving me 5 pounds for the price of 1 pound! so that was also nice on the wallet! take care! Hunter
Old 02/21/2005, 06:59 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

Nice when, where, and how. This is the guy that thinks flatworms are a great and you are only good if you have some. I was there twice and have never been back because of him. He is so full of himself it is not even funny. I did not say it before because it was just not worth the time
Old 02/21/2005, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

marinelife...lol. yeah..he does have some twisted thinking. But I do trust you guys over him..so I just get what I think is best for my tank...NOT based on his opinion. I got all my rock and crabs and stuff...on fri. the 11th. Hunter
Old 02/21/2005, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

i would say marine solutions is the nicest. I've only been there once since he moved and it was pretty soon after so he didn't have a huge selection but I knew that it was going to be nice. His corals are very nice and you can't beat the prices. Gerbers has a decent selection and price on fish but they are way out of their league on corals. Horrible selection with prices 3x what other places are asking. I visited that Joel guy once and he had pretty good deals on corals but frankly he is a jerk. He badmouthed every other supplier out there which to me is not how you handle a business. Oh well I guess there's no perfect lfs.
Old 02/21/2005, 08:05 PM
U.S.M.A.S.

Joel always did bad mouth everyone, he also used bio-balls on reef and Fish Only tanks and never changed them out and wondered why the tank water was also so bad. I am sure he will not make it at the new place, needs to change all his ways to make it work. I do say the guy at Just Fish it was great because I wrote a check for a coral the my clownfish then destroyed and he never cashed it.
Old 02/21/2005, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

I haven't been to just fish it before, I've driven past it many a time but didn't know if there was anything worth stopping for. I just wish marine solutions was a little closer and not so in the "boonies".
Old 02/21/2005, 09:53 PM
R I P we miss you...

I just went to Preble Pets tonight. I ordered a powder brown tang and it came in today. Looks great! I'm putting it in the 20 gal. tank until I make the move this Sunday! Then everything will go in the 125.

By the way what does anyone thinnk about 2 LMB in a 125? Good news or Bad news? I've posted this question twice with no response...
Thanks!
Micki...

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 02/21/2005, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

lmb = lawn mower blenny? if so I don't see any problems as I've seen it done before but not sure if you're talking about something else.
Old 02/21/2005, 11:04 PM
R I P we miss you...

Yes Lawn Mower Blenny. Ok, for some reason I thougth you could not have two in the same tank. Thanks!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 02/21/2005, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

hey im in columbus ohio and was wondering if anyone in here had any ricordia or mushrooms they are willing to sell. im always looking to expand my softy variety
Old 02/21/2005, 11:08 PM
R I P we miss you...

I may have sometime soon. Not at the present moment though. My daughter in law might have some soon as well. Hers are spawning and splitting like crazy!

Western Ohio Reef Club

Old 02/21/2005, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

sounds great what kind are they
Old 02/26/2005, 06:48 PM
Moved On

i have softies...what are you looking for?
check my website to see wha ti have
www.mrlevek.com