Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/18/2005, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

AquaC Remora ok for 72 gallon?

I am about to purchase a protein skimmer for a 72 gallon tank. I know the AquaC Remora is rated up to 75 gallons but I want to know if anyone actually uses one in a tank this size. I will probably never expand to a larger tank and I'm only going for a FOWLR setup. Thanks in advance for your response.

-Brian
Old 02/18/2005, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

If I were you I would get the remora pro, with the pump upgrade. I have a pro now on a 55g and it skimms a lot of stuff out of the water. It wont hurt to have the biggest and best skimmer you can afford.
Old 02/18/2005, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Wife needs convincing

Well, I convinced my wife that I needed the Remora. Maybe I can convince her to let me get the Remora Pro. Thanks for your suggestion. What about running a Mag 3 on the Remora? Anyone had success overdriving this skimmer?
Old 02/18/2005, 06:30 PM
Moved On

Re: Wife needs convincing

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian25
Well, I convinced my wife that I needed the Remora. Maybe I can convince her to let me get the Remora Pro. Thanks for your suggestion. What about running a Mag 3 on the Remora? Anyone had success overdriving this skimmer?
Mag 3 on the remora works fine.

I would consider the Pro with a Mag 5
Old 02/18/2005, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

I wish I'd gotten the pro for my 55.........
Old 02/19/2005, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

I use one on my 20 gal, i would get the pro.
Old 02/19/2005, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Hi,

I'm planning on using a regular remora on a 55G FOWLR I'm setting up. I'm going to run it with a Mag 3 or 5 with the elbow mod and the updated riser cup. I've had good luck with the same type of mods on a Pro with a Mag 7.

-Mike
Old 02/19/2005, 10:17 AM
Go Sooners!

I have the Pro with the Mag 5 for my 125. I will also have a lower fish load so the Remora Pro with a Mag 3 or 5 would be just fine for your 72 gallon.
Old 02/19/2005, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

I use the Remora Pro with Mag 3 on my 54 corner tank and love it.
Old 02/19/2005, 11:59 AM
Moved On

I'm trying a Mag 5 on my Remora in a 30gal. I don't see the Mag 3 as being significantly stronger then the MJ1200 which I think is severely underpowering a Remora...

And the preskimmer box is very large IMHO.

Melborne, What are those mods you mentioned?
Old 02/19/2005, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

stevan, how is it going with the mag 5?? i want to try the same setup. thanks in advance,
fried
Old 02/19/2005, 02:43 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

If you are doing a fish only without any filtration other than liverock I would go with the pro for sure. Most reef tanks are not stocked as heavy with fish as FOWLR so not as much biolad for the skimmer to deal with.
Old 02/19/2005, 04:31 PM
Moved On

Fried- I've just ordered the Mag5 it will be here in a few more days. I've heard from others that it works well. You just have to raise the collection cup up some. Right now I have to keep the cup all the way down and I still get a very dry skimmate when I get any at all. With the Mag5 I hope I can skim wet to get as much gunk out as fast as I can.

With a small tank things can go sour pretty quickly so agressive skimming is the way to go IMHO. I don't mind checking my SG and replacing water.
Old 02/19/2005, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

The mods are a larger collection cup, with a higher riser from AquaC and a 90" elbow so you can mount the mag directly to the skimmer with no vinyl tubing. I have pics of this setup on a remora pro in my gallery.

-Mike
Old 02/19/2005, 10:17 PM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenix
If I were you I would get the remora pro, with the pump upgrade. I have a pro now on a 55g and it skimms a lot of stuff out of the water. It wont hurt to have the biggest and best skimmer you can afford.
I agree get the pro...

Dave
Old 02/19/2005, 10:36 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Melbourne
The mods are a larger collection cup, with a higher riser from AquaC and a 90" elbow so you can mount the mag directly to the skimmer with no vinyl tubing. I have pics of this setup on a remora pro in my gallery.

-Mike
Hey Mike nice setups!!!

Do you have any closeups of the elbow w/the mag? I sort of get the drift of what you did but I'd like to see it better.

How did you do it? Just cut off the lower part of the tube and glued on the elbow? What size did you use? Did you see it elsewhere or think of it yourself.

I really want to do it too.

Thanks again!
Old 02/19/2005, 10:41 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Melbourne

-Mike
Hey Mike nice setups!!!

Do you have any closeups of the elbow w/the mag? I sort of get the drift of what you did but I'd like to see it better.

How did you do it? Just cut off the lower part of the tube and glued on the elbow? What size did you use? Did you see it elsewhere or think of it yourself.

I really want to do it too.

Thanks again!
Old 02/19/2005, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

Hi,

Thanks, Read this thread, I describe how to do the elbow modification. I'm currently waiting for some new elbows and the updated cups and I'll upgrade my regular Remora with this mod, since I have an extra Mag 3 and Mag 5 I'll see which works best. The price for the updated high rise cup with drain fitting is $25 for the remora or pro from AquaC.

-Mike

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...t=remora+elbow
Old 02/19/2005, 11:54 PM
Moved On

I forgot to ask...What size elbow did you use? And If I empty it daily do I need the new cup w/drain? Since it sits in my BR I'm not looking to have any more skimmate around then I have to.
Old 02/23/2005, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Everyone

Thank you for all of your replies. Looks like I will be getting the Remora Pro. No sense in spending the money and not being happy with it. One other thing. From reading some other posts, it sounds like the prefilter box to fit a mag 3 would be a little big to put in my 72 gallon. What do you think would look better, a huge box or the mag 3. I know its going to be personal preference but I've never seen a mag 3 in person so I don't know the size for reference.

-Brian
Old 02/23/2005, 09:33 PM
Moved On

w/o the box you could use a longer hose and hide the mag below or set it up top using the elbow mod above.

FYI AquaC told me today I could use a Mag3 on my regular Remora...For sure I'd get a Mag5 for the Pro (Which they also said was OK to do).
Old 02/23/2005, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

I have the Remora Pro on my 75 gal. I've been running it with the Rio and the prefilter box since day one. The tank is sps dominant and this skimmer does a super job. Pretty much all my sps are growing well. I've read that alot of people prefer the Mag pump. I may change at some point in the future, but for now......things are lookin' good.
Old 02/23/2005, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

stevan, how is it with the mag 5 on the regular remora??
Old 02/24/2005, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

My aunt just got a Remora Pro for her 75 and i hear it is working wonders for her tank.
AquaC Remora
Old 02/24/2005, 12:12 PM
Moved On

friedenmeister...The Mag 5 hasnt arrived yet. The people at AquaC emailed me to say don't use it as it could make my problem worse. OK to use a Mag 3 though they said.

FYI All-My issue and poor experience revolves around regular Remora, not a Pro.