Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/26/2005, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Ryan,

LMAO... you need to change your "Experience" from "Salt since May 2003" to "Building Tank Stuff FOR Salt since May 2003"!

Betcha can't wait! But the payoff will soon be here...

Cheers,
Greg
Old 01/26/2005, 08:04 PM
Electrical Madman!

Quote:
Originally posted by Homebrew
Ryan,

LMAO... you need to change your "Experience" from "Salt since May 2003" to "Building Tank Stuff FOR Salt since May 2003"!

Betcha can't wait! But the payoff will soon be here...

Cheers,
Greg
believe it or not, he actually does have a tank that's up and running. he just never talks about it. a few of the corals in that tank are from mine.
Old 01/26/2005, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Oh yeah... now I remember a post or two about that. This thread is SOOO long that one forgets all the details.... I stand corrected, Ryan!

BTW, let me know if you need help moving your tank stuff to your new home.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 01/26/2005, 08:41 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
Nobody said my sump was going to work!

Good thing I am on lots of Vicodine or that statement would upset me

But I said it would give me a place to start....
Old 01/26/2005, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

Just for your enjoyment Greg, here is a full tank shot of my actual tank! This is my 29 gallon LPS/softie tank.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 01/26/2005, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

VERY pretty! My daughter would sit and stare at that for hours. She's 7 and is now checking out books and doing school reports on fish and sea creatures. My 2 yo gets enough after about 5 min!

Beautiful 29G Ryan!
Old 01/26/2005, 09:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanks!

JR, check out the reds right up front that weren't doing great in your tank. They made a speedy recovery!

Old 01/26/2005, 09:37 PM
Electrical Madman!

Quote:
Originally posted by thrlride
Thanks!

JR, check out the reds right up front that weren't doing great in your tank. They made a speedy recovery!
yeah, yeah, yeah....i see 'em.....you suck!
Old 01/26/2005, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

Now watch, after I move everything it will die!

Old 01/27/2005, 12:04 AM
Club Euroreef

I got that pump today. I thought this thing made noise? j/k

BTW the 29 looks great.

"Oh ya - I missed one important point. There are other ways to deal with phosphates like phosphate sponges, but it's kind of like trying to fan the stink off a dead skunk." -looser
Old 01/27/2005, 09:33 AM
Tang? What Tang!

thrlride

Looking great so far. Did a great job on it all
Old 01/27/2005, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

thanks!!

Here is boring update:

This is a shelf for the RO topoff water/kalk. It attaches to the back of the stand. The tank is going to sit away from the wall about 7 inches. To fill that gap I am going to cut two 74" tall pieces of oad and then stain them. They will attach at the side with hinges so I can fold them out of the way to work on things. It may be a little while before I get those up though as I still have to make them.

Old 01/27/2005, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Dave! I'm glad to hear it came in for you. Are you still interested in the other pump?

Old 01/27/2005, 09:38 AM
Tang? What Tang!

sounds like a cool idea, keeps the eyesores hidden that way, I am thinking of something like that for my 37g.
Old 01/27/2005, 10:19 AM
Proud Father

I like the auto top off Ryan! Also, why in the world are you tearing down your 29, its awesome!

-Mac
Old 01/27/2005, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Mike!

I am going to put the LPS and softies in the 90 along with some of the rock. All fish except the damsel are going in the 90 as well. The 29 is going to be either a softie tank or a semi agressive tank.

Old 01/28/2005, 08:46 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Is the 29g the same as it was last year thrlride?
Old 01/28/2005, 08:49 AM
Premium Member

It was moved and torn down in September and rebuilt but all the inhabitants are the same.

Old 01/28/2005, 08:51 AM
Tang? What Tang!

Oh, okay. So most of it is going into the 90 as you said a few post ago. That 29 was a nice looking tank. Guess now you have two to play with
Old 01/28/2005, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

Yeah, most will go to the 90. The Xenia and anthelia will NOT be going, I'm tired of cutting it back. Everything else will go. I'll probably make the 29 a semi agressive. Not sure what other agressive fish will work in a 29 though.

Any suggestions?

Old 01/28/2005, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MacnReef
Also, why in the world are you tearing down your 29, its awesome!

-Mac
Mac - I initially thought the EXACT same thing as you! Many would kill for such a nice looking tank. But then I realized that Ryan will simply reproduce the beauty on a larger scale!

Ryan - I'm anxious to hear what you decide to stock if you go semi-aggressive. I LOVE my aggressive tank, but the current inhabitants will eventually outgrow their current 90g. I purchased the tank already stocked (private individual) and I have already traded in a puffer (for credit) to lower the high bio load and give the others some fin room.

You asked for stocking suggestions, but what kinds of fish have you been thinking about?
Old 01/28/2005, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

I've never even studied agressive fish. What would work in a 29? Are there any triggers that would work? What else would work?

Old 01/28/2005, 09:52 AM
Club Euroreef

You could do a small angler or leaf fish or a dwarf lion in there but the damsel would be lunch eventually. Tough one I don't know of many agressives that could be housed in that size tank for very long.

I'd do a peacock mantis, that would be sweet. I used to have a small N. wennere in a 10 gallon very interesting creatures.

PS Ryan I would take that other pump but I have to order my epoxy paint today itching to get this 320 water tested soon. I'll shoot you a PM later today.

"Oh ya - I missed one important point. There are other ways to deal with phosphates like phosphate sponges, but it's kind of like trying to fan the stink off a dead skunk." -looser
Old 01/28/2005, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

I have a purple pseudochromis who is the most agressive fish I've ever seen that you can have for it Ryan. He's killed over $150 worth of inverts and other fish. Pretty bad for a $9 fish. I doubt any triggers would work as the juvenile ones would quickly outgrow your 29G (I looked into them for mine). You could always get a mantis shrimp (Fintastic gets some nicely colored mantis's in but not peacocks generally). I've had a few small FL ones and they were great pets.
Old 01/28/2005, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

I don't think my wife would go for the mantis shrimp. She doesn't even like the cleaner shrimp.

Since it will be mostly FO I suppose the biowheel would be needed again, right?