Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2005, 11:05 PM
Premium Member

The magic flashlight

I bought this flashlight at Costco because I needed a long lasting powerful light that used conventtional batteries. A chose this light because Streamlight is used by many professionals and agencies (I use them for food processing plant audits). The model is the Streamlight 4AA LED. It has many features.

http://www.streamlight.com/led_propoly.htm

I used this light for searching out STPs (swap transmitted parasties). As it turns out, this light makes corals flouresce like a 20K bulb. So when you look at a brown coral in low or no light, this light will reveal what colors the coral really has. It works great at swaps or at stores to check out browned out corals.
Old 01/09/2005, 11:20 PM
Resident physicist.

Nice, what sort of cost are those things though?
Old 01/09/2005, 11:30 PM
Moved On

Looks like $12-34. Looks like there's a group buy discount too. Not sure if the "xenon bulb" pulls the same crisp white-blue, but is cheaper and shown with the others.

http://www.flashlights.com/price/pro...l#propoly3cled

Cool toy Hector.
Old 01/10/2005, 12:08 AM
Premium Member

Stick to the LED, the LED is responsible for the flourescence. Several of us at CVR use either incandescent bulbs or LEDs for moonlights. The ones who use LEDs get coral flourescence. Thos with incandescents do not.
Old 01/10/2005, 12:31 AM
Koi Pimp

LETS GET A GROUP BUY GOING...Hector I'm going to have to come down soon and bring you some frags my tank is completely full. If I had room I'd buy a 240g....A 120 would fit nicely where my tank is now though.. Ok back to cleaning my acrylic(it's been a month and the coraline has taken over since the last cleaning), and plumbing up my calcium reactor.. Hopefully I might be able to get it hooked up tommorow on my day off. I had to rest today and mix up 40g of SW for a water change..
Old 01/10/2005, 01:23 AM
Premium Member

Bout time. You will still need to add kalk, just not so much of it. I let you use the light Dan. What did you think? Really brought out the colors didn't it?

Joe bought soem colonies from Aquatic G to restock his tank. We used the light there to really bring out the colors in the corals to make sure he got good specimens.

I'll tell you what. If you don't group buy them. I'm charging rent next time. That thing was in constant use during the swap.
Old 01/10/2005, 01:43 AM
Koi Pimp

LOL.. yeah that light was pimp looked like 20k.. Nice Joe has a beautiful tank I can;t wait to see it again in person..
Old 01/10/2005, 06:15 AM
Registered Member

BTW, do you recall how much the 4AA, 7 LED model was at Costco?
Old 01/10/2005, 06:16 AM
Registered Member

Also, how do I change my avatar to a custom one?
Old 01/10/2005, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Go to My RC, and then go to Edit Options. It should be on the bottom.
Old 01/10/2005, 01:37 PM
AEFW Assasinator

That is a nice flashlight. I just got one of those keychain LED ones that are super blue, not to mention super bright.
Old 01/10/2005, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Guess I overlooked that option when I first created my account. Thanks.
Old 01/10/2005, 09:33 PM
have fun with it!~)

hector, what is the product number from the http://www.flashlights.com/price/pro...l#propoly3cled site?
is this the cheapest price found so far?
thanks
!~)
Old 01/10/2005, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Hey Shawn, it looks like 68210 is the one I have. But my guess is that any of the Blue LEDs, Yellow Poly Body flashlights would work. I guess that would explain the fluorescence. They ARE blue 20K or so LEDs.
Old 01/10/2005, 10:31 PM
have fun with it!~)

thanks hector. marc d. and i are looking into purchasing a couple.

the funny thing is my son ordered a detective book from his school book sale. it came with a invisible ink and a blue light (uv?)all in one. this little guy works great!
Old 01/11/2005, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

I'm not sure if it's okay to post links to eBay so I won't. I will say that after checking online and at my local Costco, Sams, Lowes and Home Depot (all of which do not have them now apparently), the best price I found was from a seller on eBay.

Brand New, Factory Sealed, includes the 4AA batteries and you can choose between the straight black or yellow/black color combination for $21.99. I was quoted roughly $5.95 s/h. So, you save roughly $2.00+ over that site. I'm not trying to promote the seller or eBay so much as to point out where I found it cheapest. After all, a few bucks to a college student can surprisingly go a long way.
Old 01/11/2005, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone know if the AA model puts out enough light? or is the C batt model recommended (even though it's bulkier to carry?)
Old 01/11/2005, 03:40 PM
have fun with it!~)

Quote:
Originally posted by tropoasis
Does anyone know if the AA model puts out enough light? or is the C batt model recommended (even though it's bulkier to carry?)
looks like hector's was the aa model. see above posts.

shawn!~)
Old 01/11/2005, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

7 LEDs is pretty damn bight all things considered. Quite a few of the LED flashlights I saw at Home Depot, Lowes and Costco yesterday only had one LED and ran from anywhere from $20-$60. I personally just bought the 4AA model as well.
Old 01/11/2005, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Shine it into your tank tonight after the lights are out. You'll be amazed.
Old 01/11/2005, 05:21 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Does anyone know if Costco still sells the Streamlight 4AA LED, and what the cost is, I would like to swing by after work?
Old 01/11/2005, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

I doubt they still do. It was 19.99 when I bought it.
Old 01/11/2005, 06:16 PM
Resident physicist.

Out of curiosity how many LEDs are in those flashlights? Or is it just one larger more powerful one? I have about a hundred of those ultrawhite 10000mcd leds laying around i could probably fabricate a flashlight from. I'm unsure of their color spectrum although I do know they are very white.
Old 01/11/2005, 06:30 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Seven LED's in that Streamline one.
Old 01/12/2005, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

BTW, the yellow body one doesn't have white LEDs. They are listed as blue, but they aren't actinic blue. They are actually somewhere around 20K.