Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2004, 10:44 PM
Resident physicist.

Offical Frag Swap picture thread

Ok I'll be the first to start it up, I don't have pictures yet since I was trying a new semi-closed loop return and seemed to kick up another dust storm. But this is the place to post your pictures.

Things to put in your post
Name of coral
Tank lighting, wattage, kind, color temperature & coral placement with respect (ie if you have it in the shadow of a big toadstool it obviously isn't getting as much light)
Tank flow rates at that coral (use some judgement here, lots of flow, little flow, turbulant, wavemaker, etc).
Any sort of identifiers you plan on writing on the bag, ie Yourname#2,A,Gamma, whatever (this is strictly optional.. well all of it is technically, but its something I plan on doing).
And of course a picture would be nice
Old 12/16/2004, 01:44 AM
Premium Member

I link Bigred to you all. He started his own thread.
http://cvreefers.org/modules.php?set...view_album.php
Old 12/16/2004, 01:51 AM
why can't i love???

i have a frag of these.
dragon eyes

and these
rasberry

red and purple ring

i think i have a very small frag of these.
petals

i might also have a very snall frag of this colony.
pastel

that is the name i will put on the bag.my tank runs 3 175w 20k m/h and 2 110w vho actinics.i probably have close to 2000-2500 gph.all zoas can go anywhere (except maybe blues).i will say that the rasberry will lose that color if it is not right under a halide.

more pics this weekend.i will post pics of the very frags we will bring with us.

i have like two polyps of these.they are the reddest i have ever seen.

http://www.fareclub.org/gallery/Zoatopia/red2

night shot

http://www.fareclub.org/gallery/Zoatopia/redreal

Last edited by mummra100769; 12/16/2004 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12/16/2004, 03:18 AM
why can't i love???

more pics.

if anybody wants these i could break them up.

http://www.fareclub.org/gallery/Zoatopia/greenest

these are neat.

http://www.fareclub.org/gallery/Zoatopia/copper
Old 12/16/2004, 01:24 PM
why can't i love???

if no one wants to do a private trade on these they go into the swap.
Old 12/16/2004, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

mummra100769: Those are beautiful!

From the last frag swap, I won a blue tri-color acro from the raffle, but I don't know how to take a good pic of it.
Can someone advise me on how to take good pics? I have a Sony DSC-P10. Even with macro, the quality is still limited.
Old 12/16/2004, 03:10 PM
why can't i love???

hey thanx man.look in the photo forum ythere a couple of good threads about taking tank pics,
Old 12/16/2004, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

mummra100769:

I've seen a lot of your zoanthids in your gallery, but the more I look at them, the more I feel as though I have drab, brown-colored zos. ^^; Those are friggin' incredible. 0_o;

Unfortunately, I'm sure there's nothing that I have that's anywhere as nice as yours so unfortunately, I don't see how I could trade for a frag. We all have to start somewhere though, right? That's why this frag swap will be great for me both as a learning experience as well as a way to diversify my stock of corals, which at present is miniscule to say the least.

In any event, your zos are absolutely stunning and I hope I may have the previlege to own specimens such as those at some point.
Old 12/16/2004, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

What kind of lighting are those pix under mummra100769? I really like the red and purple ring ones.
Old 12/16/2004, 07:59 PM
Fragaholic

Thumbs up just a reminder...

Please try and do side trades IN ADDITION to putting the species in the swap. Pure side trades do nothing to enhance the general swap. Perhaps frag smaller?
Thx-Jim
Old 12/16/2004, 09:38 PM
why can't i love???

yah thats the plan.i did not explain myself but i alone will be bringing at least two big colonies and several frags (just for the swap), i am just saying that if noone wants them i have no interest in keeping them i will put them in the swap.hopefully the polyps in my avatar will give me a frag to share in the swap.
Old 12/17/2004, 11:43 AM
why can't i love???

sorry for the slow reply

soujirou:i think your zoas look great,you have some pretty sweet copper ringed ones that i would think any body would be proud of.thanx for the complement.

kind corals:this is a 60 gal. with hamilton 175w 20k m/hx3 and 110w vho actinicsx2.i think the shot you are peaking of was under all actinic.
Old 12/17/2004, 11:54 AM
why can't i love???

i am going to post pics today(tonight?) of the very frags that are coming with me from my tank.i also found a frag of blues i got from aquadesignz.this little frag is for the swap only.i hope this will appease the mighty bookfish.lol
Old 12/17/2004, 04:36 PM
Resident physicist.

Ok here's my little hunk o' junk I plan on bringing, note that the pictures I've provided might differ than the exact pieces I frag and bring, obviously they'll be smaller, but in some cases (like polyps) that have grown onto existing rockwork it was easier to take a picture of that rather than the mother colony (and in the case of the orange zoos you can see the space between the two "pieces" which is where the mother colony from the last frag swap I got was placed, and I just tore it away from the main rock and moved it to another piece of the tank to let it grow onto that then rip away, rince & repeat ).

Tank Lighting: 2x 175w 14000k Hamiliton MH, 2x 55w 10000k PC bulbs.
Flow: 3 Seio 620 powerheads + flow from the refugium return, I've been messing around with a closed loop like return but haven't set it up as of yet since I keep kicking up crap and wanted to get pictures rather than have my tank be cloudy... yet again)
Tank Temp: 78-80F
Tank sg: 1.027
Bag Identifiers: I'll simply put "SFSU" on the bag, since there will be so many corals,and I don't see any of mine as particularlly interesting so won't individually number the bags unless someone lets me know prior to the event then I'll jot down a number/letter. Otherwise just to let someone know who to contact if they have questions when they pick it up. And of course the name/color of the coral

On with the corals!

Type: Protopalythoa (Button Polyps)
Description: I call these Browneyes for obvious reasons, they aren't very pretty, so somehow the name is quite fitting. Picked them up from the last BAR swap, they've encrusted on some rock, and I've yanked away the mother colony. They do have a charm of sorts, but you sure wouldn't want a tank dominated by these. They grow fairly fast like most other types of button polyps, mushrooms,etc so might be considered "invasive" over a long time if nothing keeps them in check.
Tank Placement: these as pictured are near the bottom, on the side of the rock not directly under any of the light, they'll live anywhere, with any sort of flow.
WARNING: Be careful with these, as with other zoos/palys as they do have a toxin that can be quite harmful if you swallow it, get it into your blood stream, or it squirts into your eye when fragging.
Frags: 2 or 3 out of the main colony, will be mounted

Type: Cladiella (Colt Coral)
Description: No clever name here Soft coral, that will thrive under most any light. This particular piece is a frag from a frag I got a few months back, it will bulk out more in time, but this one seemed to be content on going straight up since I think I put it in a rather nice area. Easy to cut up and frag into multiple pieces for around the tank, will cling to any rock surface its pushed against for a week or so.
Tank Placement: It likes light (as most corals do), this particular one is placed at the bottom and is stretched about 8 inches tall. Likes a gentle flow rather than strong flow, so don't put it near any powerheads/outlets as it will bend over. If you can get gentle chaotic flow (or oscillation) it'll be happiest swaying back and forth.
Frags: 1 or 2 pieces, either this or a piece of the main colony as this piece is on a baseball sized rock, will be mounted.

Name: Protopalythoa (Button polyp)
Description: Much more nicer than the Browneyed cousin, this one is greener than the picture shows. The green is a result of the 14000k bulbs, under actinics probably even more green (I don't run actinics on my tank). This one hasn't grown as fast as the Browneyes, but might be because it was on a branch, so the only place it could grow was back down the back, so basically was restricted to a cylinder like shape, and couldn't spread out like the others could
Tank Placement: Anywhere will work, light is good, flow is good.
Frags: 1 to 2 pieces, mounted.

Name: Mushroom (unsure species)
Description: Metallic green mushroom, with those white tenticle looking things growing on them. When I got them a while back they were more green, but over time the white things grew more. They like light and will expand accordingly. While they don't reproduce (ie split via fission) as fast as some other mushrooms do, they will grow and spread out quite large, the largest one I have is a hair smaller than a tea-cup saucer plate, it did cover a piece of candy-cane I had and completely killed it, whether via chemical means or lack of light, I don't know. I only found the dead stalk when something knocked the rock he was on off into the sand.
Tank Placement: Anywhere there's light, more light means they'll expand more. Flow is good too as they will eat mysis shrimp if it falls onto the body (they'll curl up into a little ball to digest).
Frags: 1 to 2 pieces, mounted
Old 12/17/2004, 04:37 PM
Resident physicist.

(continued)

Name: Mushrooms, Anthelia, Trumpet/Candycane
Description: This is just a big shot of everything I put in the middle after moving my tank that I expect to bring to the frag swap. You can see the browneyes in this picture, the base of the colt as well. Starting from the far right, is Jimsar's anthelia I believe he said he got it from garf.org, grows nicely, place it near a main rock until a piece grows on it, then rip away and place elsewhere. Bluestriped red mushrooms or Redstriped blue mushrooms. Purple/red mushrooms. Candycane/Trumpet coral, that I got that was really dead over the past few months it's grown out, I'll frag some good pieces off it (and other specimins I have around the tank). Hairy green mushrooms (lighting matters, if you only have 10000k or 6500k light they might look brown rather than green).
Tank placement: Mushrooms anywhere, and they'll grow. Anthelia anywhere there's some nice flow, not too strong, gentle oscillating flow is always better. Trumpet, good flow and good light are required to get them to really open up
Frags: Mushrooms, multiple numbers, might split up the green hairy ones into different pieces since there's 8+ on each rock. 2+ from candy cane (it hasn't grown very much with the dust storms I've been having). Anthelia maybe 1 frag of it. All mounted except candy cane/trumpet coral, but will have a stalk so just cram it into any hole (or use superglue).

Name: Neon green candy cane
Description: Strange candy cane, the entire head seems quite soft when its out in the light, almost as if it puffs up. And night it shrinks up and little sweeper tenticles come out. Some branches have some sort of orange encrusting sponge on them, doesn't seem to mind though.
Tank Placement: Lights, it likes light, if you want it to puff out like the picture. Not much flow is on these, but if you want it to feed good at night when the sweepers come out, you'll want it near some nice flow.
Frags: 2 to 4 depending how small I make each frag, not mounted, will have stalks though so just cram into a hole.

Name: Zoanthus (Button Polyps)
Description: These are about as special as my tank gets, and that's not saying much. Orange skirts, with lavendar-grey eye at the center. The more bluer light you have (actinic/14k+) they brighter those orange skirts will pop. With moonlights they absolutely glow bright orange (up until they close up for the night ), so if you have heavy actinic lighting then you'll probably see some of the same.
Tank Placement: Like any zoos they'll grow just about anyplace. How bright the colors are depends upon how much bluer/purple light you have. No special flow needs.
Frags: 1 or 2, from the mother colony, mounted

Name: Zoanthus (Button Polyp)
Description: I call these rootbeer zoos, because when I got them they didn't have as much green in the center, and the brown with the cream colored skirts made me think of a mug of rootbeer But they greened up a tad under my lights, so doesn't resemble any rootbeer *I* drink now, still a looks nice in my mind
Tank Placement: Probably anyplace like other zoos, relatively new in my tank so haven't had time to see.
Frags: 1 or 2 (smaller) ones, mounted.
Old 12/17/2004, 04:50 PM
I pretend to know stuff

mummra what about your strawberry's

PH 8.2
DKH 10
CAL 480
SG 1.025
Old 12/17/2004, 06:47 PM
why can't i love???

i think i am just hoping that i get a fragable part of the strawberry zoa show up,but you never know.if i do frag it it will be a very a very small frag.
Old 12/18/2004, 12:27 AM
why can't i love???

frag pics

colony 1

frag 1a

frag 1b

frag 2

frag 3

frag 4

frag 5

frag 6 (the blues that are swap only,this pic does them no justice)

more pics soon.
Old 12/18/2004, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

I wonder what frag #5 is. Seems to have a green skirt... that's all I can make out. BTW, what lighting did you take these photos under? I'm sure it wasn't actinic alone or the blue zos in particular would look very blue I'm sure. Also, frag #4 are the Raspberry zos, right?
Old 12/18/2004, 02:30 AM
why can't i love???

i will post a pic of the mother colony of #5

lighting was 20k m/h and vho actinics

frag #4 are the rasberry.so is frag #2 but it was down at the bottom of the tank so it gets alot lighter.
Old 12/18/2004, 03:15 AM
why can't i love???

last pics of the night.

ok so here are some more pics

this is the mother i will be making a frag off of.

i think i can get two easy frags off this one.

this is the mother of frag #5

more pics this weekend
Old 12/18/2004, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

I can't make the swap due to my son's birthday being that weekend, so I'll be send some stuff with tacocat. I'll be sending frags for the swap but would also like to due some side trading.

Here's a link to my gallery on our club site, if you see something you like let me know.

scot's gallery

Thanks
scot

PS: here's a sample

Old 12/19/2004, 02:52 AM
Anemone Addict

wow Scot, nice frags!

hey what kind of fish is this?

Old 12/19/2004, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

looks like a gold goby
Old 12/19/2004, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

clown gobie, they lay eggs about once a week. One of them will strip the tissue off a sps where they start laying eggs. If you look just behind the fish you can see the eggs.