Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2004, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Need info on Humu Picasso and Niger Trigger

I have a 55 gal. tank which is about 2 years old. I have 2 common clowns, lawnmower blennie, spotted hawk, valintine pufffer, cleaner shrimp and live rock. I am interested in adding a humu picasso or niger trigger. How will one of these fish do in my tank? Will it get along or will it eat my fish? Will any triggers get along with my fish?
Old 12/07/2004, 09:01 PM
Insane Reefer

Some of the fish you own will be compatible with triggers, however some will not; the biggest concern is that those triggers need a larger tank than you have.

With the current bioload you listed in a 55, you are about maxed out.

Good Luck,
Ed
Old 12/07/2004, 10:25 PM
Moved On

Ditto
Old 12/07/2004, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

Ok, i agree that a trigger may be to big for a 55 but i don't feel im that close to the bio load. I had these fish in a 29 gal for a year and they were very happy and all levels were very good. Will a tang work in the tank? If so what ones are recommended? What Dwarf Angels would work, what ones have the most character?
Old 12/08/2004, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

I am not an expert, but I believe whether you are maxed out depends on the size of the fish and the size of your refugium. Many people say I am way beyond my limit, but I have been stable with no problems for a long time.

I like powder blue or powder brown tangs. I have a Naso, but they get big. I also like flame angels.
Old 12/08/2004, 02:01 PM
Moved On

If you do decide to go ahead and get one of the two triggers, I would suggest the Picasso, they are a much slower growing fish, I have both in a 300 gallon, purchased at the same time and same size and the Niger has more than doubled the size of the Picasso already.
Old 12/08/2004, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

i disagree. i think that the niger is a better choice for it is a much less agressive trigger. Consider your cleaner shrimp gone with a picasso and he will also try to eat some of your other smaller fish.
Old 12/08/2004, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

My fish are all very small. The largest is the lawnmower blennie which is maybe 4" top. I have given up on the trigger, i agree that chances are most of the fish will dissapear. I think i will go with a small tang or angel instead. Thanks for the info!!!!!
Old 12/08/2004, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

55 gal fish suggestion

Your 55 gallon tank is too small for a tang. If you want an angel, try a dwarf angel.
Old 12/08/2004, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

really? I have seen a pair of tangs kept in a 30 gal. hex. I figured one in a 55 would survive.
Old 12/09/2004, 08:31 AM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Location: University of Cincinnati, Chemistry department(I never leave)
.... no - stop before the tang police find you

Please... no - they will say terrible things to you - deleted that last post!!! Delete it!!
Old 12/09/2004, 09:00 AM
Insane Reefer

With large filters or refugiums you can place a greater amount of biodiversity in smaller tanks, however, being maxed out has to do with swimming area and territorial space.

Fish most compatible for a 55 should not exceed 4''s as adults.

Sixxer,
The reason for the difference in size of your triggers is because of species; the Humma will max out at about 9''s while the Niger will exceed 15''s when mature with more than three times the girth.

Ed
Old 12/09/2004, 10:48 AM
I May be Ich Free

it doesn't sound like your current bio load is maxed out quite yet.
forget the trigger and forget the tangs...
if you have an ubundant amount of LR go with the pygmy angel.
Old 12/09/2004, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

I like the coral beauties. Some say they hide alot, but mine was always "in the mix". they can also defend themselves well added to a populated tank. I love the flames too, but never owned one.
Old 12/09/2004, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

I agree, the coral beauty is a good choice... Mine has buddied up with my yellow tang, they graze the rock together, almost seem unseperable!
(2)24W 50/50pc, 300gph return, 15lbs LR, 15lbs LS, zoas, shrooms, polyps.
Old 12/10/2004, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Ok, I couldn't let this slide "I figured one in a 55 would survive". Come on are you serious? Is that all that really matters to you? Ok, so I am a bit of a snob where I get angry when people do terrible things to their fish. I think you should rethink your fish keeping.
Old 12/11/2004, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

You are looking way to deeply into what i said and taking it the wrong way. I care very much about my fish. What i ment was i thought a tang would do fine in my tank. I admit i am a beginer, which is why i am asking questions. I do not want to put a fish in my tank that will be unhappy. Like i said, i saw a tank with two tangs in it and it was only thirty gallons. I then thought a 55 was plenty big for a tang if two seemed rather happy in a thirty. Now i know differently thanks to the nice people on reef central. If i really didn't care about my fish do you really think i would be asking questions like this???? I think you need to rethink what you post. I do apologize to anyone who took what i said the worng way.
Old 12/12/2004, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

I just don't get how someone who has never met me can judge my morals and fish keeping practices off one vague sentence. Well moving on after that uncomfortable last post, I checked out the lfs's in my area and one has a Eibl’s Angel. I checked online and they say it only needs a 30 gallon tank. Will this fish work in my 55? Is it a good fish to have?
Old 12/12/2004, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

A dwarf angel is a good addition to a 55 gallon tank. They do however need a more established, stable tank. Since your tank has been set up for 2 years, it should be just fine. They tend to do better in tanks with plenty of liverock to graze on to supplement their diet.
Old 12/14/2004, 09:37 AM
I May be Ich Free

yes,,better chance to thrive in tank with loads of LR.
Old 12/14/2004, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

How much LR should i have? Also, would a file fish work in a 55 instead of a Dwarf Angel? Are they peaceful?
Old 12/14/2004, 11:01 AM
I May be Ich Free

probably at least 75lbs.. i would just load the tank up with it.file fishes can be tough depending on the species..i had one that seemed fine for awhile and then just perished after about 4 months.
Old 12/14/2004, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Is their an eaiser to keep species of filefish?
Old 12/14/2004, 12:54 PM
I May be Ich Free

not sure which ones,,i think the availability and selection is not great..at least not around me..so there may not be many options.\\ the one i had was light green with small protruding spines around its body. fish was real cheap like 3.50 it was eating well right away so figured it would be ok...