Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/22/2002, 10:07 PM
Moved On

Sam, any of those throw aways that you get from Jim, throw them my way

Barry
Old 01/22/2002, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Jim:
It's about 3". When I bought it 3 months ago it was only 1.5". It's doing well in my 10g nano (96w pc). I also have a small squamosa that is doing well, but has not grown much.
Old 01/22/2002, 10:20 PM
Moved On

Hkriegal,
What type of camera are you using? Is your pc a smart lamp 50/50? Take a picture of the squamosa I would like to see it.
Jim
Old 01/22/2002, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

It's a csl prism pendant which came with 3 x 32w bulbs, 2 are 10000k and one is the fake blue actinic (I think I'm going to replace it with the true actinic pc's that they have now). The lights just turned off, so I will take a pic tomorrow. Also, last weekend I bought a small derasa for my larger tank (46g w/192w pc). My nano (as soon as the algee is gone) is going to be a clam tank (I really love clams, but can't afford the mh prices for my larger tank).
Old 01/22/2002, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Olympus d490z
Old 01/22/2002, 10:28 PM
Moved On

Ok, I had to stand on my head to take this one
Old 01/22/2002, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

here's an old pic
Old 01/22/2002, 10:33 PM
Moved On

hkriegal,
Actually my clam holding tank before they go into a show tank has all pcs from CSl.---8--- 65 watt 24 inch bulbs ( 2 are blue). I kept the clams real close to the lights. They are on a plastic light grit and underneath them is lots of liverock. I kept a yellow tang in the tank and a six line(a clams best friend). If interested I will post a picture?
Old 01/22/2002, 10:50 PM
wabi~sabi

6" T. Maxima under a 250W 10K Ushio
Old 01/23/2002, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys,
I would like to first say, you guys have beautiful clams! I am new to this forum and this hobby also and one of the main reasons I am in it is b/c of the cool looking clams! I have a nano tank set up so far with a 3" maxima clam in mine w/ about 7.2watts per gallon(will upgrade to 55 soon for the clam and MH).

Jim,
Your clam tank is awesome, one day I hope I can gain enough knowledge (and $$ hehe) to set up a clam tank of my own. You happen to have any small clams for sale? hehe , or any of you guys got any small clams for sale? My lfs down in Lousiana (sorry to say, SUCKS). I have to drive to Houston twice a month (when I'm visiting my lady, to check out the cool shops there.

Sue,
Your tank is very beautiful, perhaps when I'm in town, I can take a look at it? I would like to have sps corals one day also but I need more knowlege on it. You happen to have frags for sale also? I think I'm goin down there this weekend maybe I can have a looksy? heh Well do you happen to know any good shops there? I go to Planetfish, Global fish&pets, fishland, aquarium world. You know any other nice shops near this area? Thanks.

All you guys have great tanks and beautiful clams, I hope I can learn alot from you guys with your knowledgable advice and expertise in the future!
Old 01/23/2002, 06:07 AM
1 & Over Club

denkigroove,
All of the marine fish store that I go to in Houston are located around Bellaire. From Highway 6/Bellaire there's T&T Fish & Reptile. Then Fish World, and Global Fish n pet on Bellaire itself. Then Fish Ranch is on Bellaire/Larkwood.
Old 01/23/2002, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

My first clam
Here is another one from Jim Norris, a young squamosa.
I have been seeing good growth with this clam.

Thanks Jim!
Old 01/23/2002, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

denkigroove, Thank you. You are welcome anytime. I sent you an email too. If you are coming to town I would suggest Aquatic Designs as it is IMO, the best lfs in Houston. The healthiest fish, corals and good knowledgable help{the owner, Keith}.

They are located off I-10 and north on Beltway 8.

my 180 ecosystem sps tank:
http://berlinmethod.com/suet/
my 120 ecosystem sps/clam tank:
http://suetruett.homestead.com/home.html
www.marshreef.org/members
Old 01/23/2002, 11:11 AM
Moved On

denkigroove, first welcome to the board. I think you will find that a lot of people will be willing to share some good ideas with you as there is a lot of knownledge on these boards.

Get some good books as there are some great reference guides out there. If you are interested in clams, get the book, Giant Clams by Knop. Online you can get it for 36.00. I have seen it in LFS forsale for 65.00.

Good luck and welcome to the great hobby of saltwater.

Barry