Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2004, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Greetings!

Hey all,

Been a long time freshwater enthusiast having a bunch of different tanks throughout the years, finally decided to go with a marine tank, something Ive been wanting to do for a long time.

So I finally took the plunge, getting rid of my 20H convict tank and converting it to saltwater....so far its been nothing but fun and hopefully will remain that way....

Been doin a ton of research, this forum is great and has all the answers to my questions. So I finally decided to say hi and show a pic of what Im working with

20 Gallon High
100W Ego Jagger Heater
Powerhead 301
Whisper 3 HOB
Coralife 2x65 PC Hood

In that pic there is only 9lbs of LR, I just got another 10 which is curing in the basement. Next purchase is a pair of ocellaris clowns, then will start to buy some softies - probably mushrooms to start.

Im thinking about adding a 10g sump to increase the volume a little to compensate for my noviceness...but Im up for the challenge
Old 12/08/2004, 12:16 AM
I pretend to know stuff

How old is your tank?

PH 8.2
DKH 10
CAL 480
SG 1.025
Old 12/08/2004, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Tank was setup 1st week in November.

Current readings:

Salinity: 1.023
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
ph - 8.1
Old 12/08/2004, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

added water volumes always a good thing...i have a firefish too, no clowns tho...i was wondering, did you have any algae blooms yet?
Old 12/08/2004, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

i had a small diatom outbreak about a week before the tank was done cycling...nothing too bad though.

I intially filled the tank up with tap water and cycled it with that. Once it was done the cycle I did a 5 gallon water change with RO water from the LFS. Its RO water from now on.

I forgot to mention I also have 4 blue legged hermits.

Old 12/08/2004, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

i think its to early to add fish. JMO.
Old 12/08/2004, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

I've been helping blazin since he first started the tank and gave him some advice on properly getting it running. Everything went by the book and the tank is doing fine. The rock was properly cured before being introduced into the tank (as is the new rock that is curing in his basement) and I let him get the firefish once all his parameters were in order, so don't think he's going to throw two more fish in there within the next day or two. Its going at a steady pace but the tank looks great!