Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2004, 01:28 PM
Moved On

wow...
Old 11/25/2004, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

It's been a while since I've tried to post a picture on here but let me give this a shot.

This tank has a LONG way to go. It's only 4 months old and went through a few power outages with the recent hurricanes, one that lasted four days, but it's still doing surprisingly well. And after viewing the pictures on reefcentral and comparing them to mine, I've come to the conclusion that I need a new camera, so I'm afraid these pictures don't do it much justice but you get the idea.

Old 11/25/2004, 05:13 PM
Moved On

i see you use the sio's how are they?
Old 11/25/2004, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

I love them! I wasn't getting enough circulation to the sand bed and into the caves but they did the trick. I've been thinking of putting them on a wavemaker-type power strip but I'm not sure if it's necessary.
Old 11/25/2004, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Just saw the thread....here is mine....
Old 11/25/2004, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Old 11/25/2004, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Sweet. Gimme a year.
Old 11/25/2004, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

This particular tank has been up and running for 9 months. It was a combo of two smaller ones though. Thanks
Old 11/26/2004, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

I just stumbled across this thread and I must say that it warms my heart. My tank started out 13 years ago as a 33 gal long wt 4 48" NO bulbs bare bottom wt a wet dry filter and no protien skimmer. Sounds crazy but that is the way all reef tanks were set up back then. PS were mainly available only to European aquarists and were rare in the states, not to mention pricey!! 3 years later the Berlin Setup was all the rage and people started pulling out the bio balls from their wet/drys and started adding PS(Mainly DYI, just like our wet/drys) Souds pretty tame by todays standards, but raised quite a bit of a fuss back then. It was at this time that I upgraded my lighting to VHO. Back then we all used solid tar ballasts wich were HOT to the touch, and you had to switch your bulbs every 6 months. 5 years ago I bought an Icecap electronic ballast, and have,not had a lick of trouble from it ever - GREAT PRODUCT- 3 years ago I bought my first production made skimmer- a used Red Sea Berlin Turbo. Before this my fellow reef keepers and I made all of our own skimmers. If I were to change anything on my tank it would be to add 2 more VHO bulbs and get a better skimmer. I have had a Carribean encrusting gorgonian(Erthropodium?) in the system for 13 years, it was my first coral. I have had my Kenyan Green tree coral for about 6 years and it was a frag who came from a friend who has had it in her tank for 12 years. Some of the zoas are 8-9 years old and I have had an Open Brain for 5 years, just to name a few. Over the last year I have added some SPS corals- Montis, Pocillapora, Acros and recently some Hydnaphora- all are doing great. It has been interesting to see the trends that come and go in this hobby over the years, some things change and some stay relativley the same, but most ideas come back full circle. Berlin sytems wt BB tanks are a prime example of this. VHO bulbs work and work well. I have been tempted to switch to MH several times over the years, but it seems that you gotta buy so much more stuff- Addtl fans, chillers, new canopy, etc. My tank is and always has been a low tech set up that is easy to maintain and relativley affordable, I just don't see the need to change it. One thing over the years that has NOT changed , is that there is always someone saying"You can only keep a reef tank this way or that way" or it will fail. Utter nonsense. There are so many different methods to keep marine systems that none can ever be definativley declared to be the "Best Way" Would you believe that I had sea horses spawn in a 10 gal tank wt nothing more complicated than an under gravel filter wt air stones and a dolomite gravel bed- that was 24 years ago when I was 8 years old- the sea horses were collected by me from the Chesapeake Bay, and the pair spawned several times!! This hobby should not have to be about spending thousands of dollars to have a "successful" reef aquarium. My tank is a testament to this. Next time my Brother in law comes over wt his mega sweet digital camera we will try to post some pics, as the only pictures of my tank are prints and I don't have a scanner...

Well I suppose that this is enough ranting and raving for one night, hope I wasn't too long winded for yall...
Joshua
Old 12/06/2004, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

big tuna, any images you can share with us..
Euroreef 6-1
Natural Wave with 5 maxijets
Old 12/06/2004, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by arinick
What will probably be my last photo of this kind... since I have finally decided to give MH a shot.
So Arinick... what s the verdict... VHO or MH?
Euroreef 6-1
Old 12/06/2004, 12:25 AM
Reeftard. Bonafide.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Tuna
I just stumbled across this thread and I must say that it warms my heart.
Well I suppose that this is enough ranting and raving for one night, hope I wasn't too long winded for yall...
Joshua
Very well said indeed. Your post should be posted in the general reef forum as a separate topic other than VHOs IMO. I have seen so many beautiful marine tanks and they have all been different in one way or another. Just from a lighting perspective I have seen really nice setups with PC's, with T5's with VHO and with Halides (and combinations of any and all of the above). So many people get stuck on what constitues ultimate success and what is absolutely 'right' that they get lost in all the details! I'm with you. I have a 150 gallon VHO tank that I try to do more 'enjoying' than tinkering with and I believe I have come up with something that is very appealing to the naked eye, very interesting to visitors and very easy to maintain.

The ultimate mark of successs in this hobby is longevity, period. So many people come and go in this hobby when they realize it's more work than they realized it would be or make their setup over the top complicated and difficult to maintain. I love to hear about people being successful over the course of 'years' rather than months.

My new Canon Digital SLR is finally on it's way so I will post some pictures in a few weeks.

Anyway, thanks for your post Joshua. Good stuff .
Old 12/06/2004, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

katchupoy- honestly, I just finished building my new canopy I'm no speed demon. I'm going to switch some of my corals into a new 29G (which will be VHO) when I get the chance to set it up (most of the softies, some of the zoos) and make the 75 more SPS and some LPS and assorted with the halides and VHO actinics. It'll probably happen after the holidays.

I'll keep everyone informed. Maybe this week I'll get an updated tank shot, that one's several months old now.
Old 12/29/2004, 01:10 AM
Premium Member

WOW, some really impressive VHO setups!!!!!!!!
Old 12/29/2004, 02:25 AM
Ocean Freak

wow i was about to give a chance on MH to my dispaly but i think im going with VHO

just one question will a frag tank be ok with VHO?. im talking about a SPS & LPS frag tank.
without water" - Sylvia A. Farle, Project Director
Sustainable Seas Expedition

Kenny
Old 12/29/2004, 02:31 AM
Reef Lovin' Kayaker

Quote:
Originally posted by kenny77
wow i was about to give a chance on MH to my dispaly but i think im going with VHO

just one question will a frag tank be ok with VHO?. im talking about a SPS & LPS frag tank.
Absolutely

That is what most of GARF's frag tanks use
Old 12/29/2004, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Great looking tanks everyone!

Here is an updated, side shot of my 120 mixed reef. The "mixed" part is slowly decreasing as I make room for more SPS.

Old 12/29/2004, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Pi, any front pics of your tank..
Euroreef 6-1
Old 12/29/2004, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Not with me at work, but I have some at home that I will resize and post.
Old 01/20/2005, 04:03 AM
THE NAZGUL

here is an up dated one of mine more true to the real color.

Old 01/27/2005, 06:48 PM
Reef nerd

more......
Old 01/30/2005, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

Here is an updated shot of mine.....still all VHO only now I have 3 URI atinic white and 3 URI true actinic.
Old 01/30/2005, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

heres the most recent pic of mine, its in a transition phase, as im changing out some bulbs. i can post a new shot with true color tommorrow as im changing the last bulbs two today.

its still got a lot of growing to do, for sure

o yeah 440w 2-3/4w moons
Old 01/30/2005, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

Ian, is that a standard 90? how did you fit 6 bulbs over it? id like to add two if possible, to my 75.
Old 01/30/2005, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

yes sir it is a standard 90. I built myself a custom canopy and it really wasn't that tough to fit the 6 bulbs in there. I'm really thinking of trying to squeeze one more in. The secret is not to use the second part of the icecap endcaps. I don't use the part that you physically mount to the canopy, I rig mine on there without it to save the 1/2" or so, that's how I fit more bulbs in there.