Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2004, 05:38 PM
I need a bigger tank!

Can I get a good Ca reactor for close to $200?

Well, I've been bitten by the SPS bug and have a small collection of frags that I want to watch grow. I have an established softy tank that I am slowly switching over, but I just can't let go of some of my nice show size softies, but the switch is happening and its time to consider the reactor.
I'm amazed at how much the cap frags are growing, with relatively little calcium in the tank as it is now, so I can only imagine the growth with a reactor.
Anyway, I am looking for a reasonably priced, but good quality calcium reactor, for around $200. I know that the tank and regulator will be an additional cost.
There are a few reactors on ebay, that are made by an individual, but not too sure about those.
I have been told to look for a reverse flow reactor to help save on CO2 and pump life.
Is this possible for the price or am I dreaming?
Thanks
Old 11/29/2004, 05:44 PM
My guard dog!

I think the best thing would be to keep an eye out on the used equipment and dry goods selling forums. You may be able to find something close to your price range there.

Just one piece of advice. Check often. Once something is posted there it is generally sold quick.

I think I paid $250 or $300 for my Geo Calcium reactor. That included everything including the CO2 tank. I bought it from a local reefer that was getting out of the hobby for a while. I think people on here know him as MGK. He had an awesome setup that crashed on him.
Old 11/29/2004, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Ditto.

I got my Mrc Cr-2 with co2 tank etc. from a guy for 300.
Old 11/29/2004, 10:27 PM
Reef Slave

I just bought a Geo from www.PremiumAquatics.com for $239.00. It will be here tomorrow!
Old 11/29/2004, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

I'm still waiting for my My Reef Creations to come in
Old 11/30/2004, 12:43 AM
Premium Member

Hello sono...
Yes you can. Check my gallery.
Old 11/30/2004, 10:49 AM
Shake and bake!

I bought a Lifereef LCR2 for $150 off of E-bay

It's the equipment that goes along with it that can get expensive.
CO2 tank = ~$70
Regulator/Solenoid = ~$100 (for a good one)
PH Controller = ~$70
CO2 = ~$10 (for 5lb)
Media = ~$20 (+s/h)

It all adds up.
Old 11/30/2004, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Drip kalk or maintain levels some other way until you can throw a couple more dollars at the purchase. This is a big purchase and you'll be kicking yourself if it doesn't work out. It's just one of those things you might want to hold back for a while on and do right.

jb
Old 11/30/2004, 12:32 PM
I need a bigger tank!

Thanks guys. Grim, you're absolutely right. I won't skimp on quality for sure just to save a few bucks, but I do know that there is a significant mark up on things labeled for this 'market' and you can find good quality equipment for less if you know where to look. I was hoping someone here has already found that 'place' and would share.
Thanks again.
Old 11/30/2004, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

"The place" is buying direct from the manufacturer. MRC, Geo, Barr, Reeftek, etc, not from a retailer. All these guys are great and go to no ends to satisfy us.

I use a Reeftek reactor and recommend them to pretty much everyone that asks me. The price new for the single stage is still over what you are looking to spend, but not by much. You can try to source some parts used to save money, and you'll save some, but not much. Calcium reactors always were, and always will be a hot item, so even used prices are on the high side, and they always sell.

jb
Old 11/30/2004, 01:28 PM
I need a bigger tank!

Hey Grim,
Me and a fellow reefer here in KC are also looking at the reeftech unit but neither of us has any experience with it, nor do any locals. Would you mind joining in this thread and give us your opinion on the reeftech unit and how the pump works? We would be grateful for any experience you could offer us. Thanks!
http://www.fishheads.org/viewtopic.p...303&highlight=
Old 12/01/2004, 12:38 PM
RC Admin

If you're interested....

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=479371

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 12/03/2004, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

sonofgaladriel,
Why spend $200.00 on a calk reactor when for the price of a bucket with a lid and a medical IV for dripping and a container of Kalkwasser you can do the same thing. I only keep SPS and clams in my tank and for the last 6 months all I do is drip Kalk 24/7 maintaining a pH of 8.36, alkalinity of 9.4 and calcium of 425-440, my SPS are looking much better and growing much faster then when I was using a calcium reactor!

Spend the $200 on more frags!!
JDT
Old 12/03/2004, 05:12 PM
I need a bigger tank!

Thanks everyone.
JDT- I have been adding pickling lime to my top off water which I add everyday, so I am basically doing what you are with the bucket drip idea. And, I have seen some fair growth from my SPS frags, but nothing like the growth I've seen in a friend's tank with the calcium reactor hooked up. I'm tired of looking at quarter size frags especially after selling off my 18" show softies to make room for the microscopic frags
Another issue is that my tank is located in my finished basement and I don't have room in the canopy or elsewhere to hang the 5 gallon bucket over my tank and drip in the limewater.
I would prefer to hook up a reactor and let it do its job throughout the year. Yes, I have gotten a little lazy over this last 3 years of reefing.
Thanks for the input everyone.