Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/22/2004, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

VHO Waterproof Endcaps

I am custom building a VHO setup for my canopy. I am in need of waterproof endcaps for my bulbs.

Does anyone know where I can find these relatively cheap? I've tried ebay but never seem to be able to find them there.

Thanks
Old 11/22/2004, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

check the sponsor page

marine depot
premium aquatics
championlighting
Old 11/22/2004, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks.
Old 11/23/2004, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

www.hellolights.com
Old 11/24/2004, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

Re: VHO Waterproof Endcaps

Quote:
Originally posted by phipps
I am custom building a VHO setup for my canopy. I am in need of waterproof endcaps for my bulbs.

Does anyone know where I can find these relatively cheap? I've tried ebay but never seem to be able to find them there.

Thanks
My suggestion is to use regular endcaps with VHO. Due to the amount of heat generated by VHO they can melt the waterproof type of endcap ( I had this happen with my VHO tubes and Icecap waterproof endcaps )

Besides why do we really need for them to be waterproof anyway ?
Old 11/24/2004, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

So you just use standard NO endcaps? Do you support the bulb in the middle at all?

I felt that the waterproof caps looked sturdier. I guess it wouldn't "have" to be waterproof as long as water isn't splashing on it.
Old 11/24/2004, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

I use the waterproof endcaps from hellolights and have had no complaints. they work great and are at a good price.
Old 11/24/2004, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phipps
So you just use standard NO endcaps? Do you support the bulb in the middle at all?

I felt that the waterproof caps looked sturdier. I guess it wouldn't "have" to be waterproof as long as water isn't splashing on it.
I dont support the bulb in the middle ... I just make sure that the endcaps fit the bulb snugly so that when I twist them in place it is a good fit.

As to others not having problems with waterproof endcaps ... that may be just a matter of time ... do a search here and on other boards of waterproof endcaps melting and in some cases causing fires in light hoods.

not a necessity to have them waterproof IMO and not worth the extra expense as well ... I also sleep better knowing that if we go out of town it is just one more thing that " murphy's law " wont come back to bite me in the ...

Good Luck