Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2004, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

"Reef Life" - has anyone purchased from this sponsor?

I was wondering if anyone has purchased from "reef life" - a sponsor here on RC...Please post good, bad or indifferent. I may place an order...

- Chuck!
Old 11/12/2004, 02:42 PM
Bah Humbug!!

I going to run down there tomorrow and check them out. I didn't realize they were that close to me until I clicked on their "Sponsor" link. I'll let you know.
Old 11/12/2004, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Pat (the owner) is good people. Nice corals and good service.

Matt

The future is a self sustaining hobby.
Old 11/12/2004, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

I left an e-mail for a question and I called and left a message today for them. So far, I haven't heard anything. I guess I'l try them on Monday...

Thanks Tree and Cearbear...if you go, please let me know how it is... (and tell them to e-mail me! <smile>)

- Chuck!
Old 11/13/2004, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

cem1234;
When did you call and send your email. I worked last night until after 7 pm and did not have any emails that I had not answered. I am off today and have not checked for messages or emails. I will be there on Sunday. Is there anything I can help you with before I go in tomorrow, if not I will be in touch Sunday!
Jack/JDT
Reef Life, Inc.
Old 11/13/2004, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Hi JDT/Jack...

I left the e-mail via your website form (and got the auto response) and I called and left a message sometime after 9:00am on Friday morning. I figured you just got a little busy...good to see a vendor that's checking the forums here!

I'll PM you with my personal information. I hope to hear from you. I'll be around on Sunday if you would like to call or just check your PM for my e-mail information...

Thanks for the response...

- Chuck!
Old 11/13/2004, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

Jack, you got PM...

- Chuck!
Old 11/13/2004, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Chuck,
Now you have got PM!
Jack
Old 11/13/2004, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

PM back at you...;-)

I don't know if you have notification on or not, so for the sake of this thread, this will be the last message I send for notification.... <smile>

To All: From Jack's correspondance with me, I'm pretty sure I will place an order with him if he has a couple things I'm looking for. When that happens, I will post an e-mail here to let everyone know how things go. Thanks again, Jack for the quick replies. I hope to do business with you...

- Chuck!
Old 11/14/2004, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Has any one used "Coral Plankton " ... it seems that either I'm the only one in my state ( N.J. ) or its just not available ? ? ? compareable stuff is a powder form that seems to not be what the comoany ? manufacture claims...... is there anyone with experience in feeding 55 gal. live rock stocked / coral / fish tanks
Old 11/15/2004, 12:11 AM
Premium Member

I went by the store today (and yesterday). All I have to say is that I'm very impressed with what I saw. Good selection and prices. Live stock looked very healthy, and they have great coral selection.
Old 11/16/2004, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Charlie,
While your question may be in the wrong thread, yes, I use the liquid form of Coral Plankton. I think it's one of the best foods outthere. My corals literry pop open when I put it in the tank. GREAT coral food. I haven't used the powder, but I can't see where it would be bad by the same manufacturer...

AJ - Thanks for the feedback...so far, Jack has been responsive to e-mails and I have him loking for some things for me. I hope to put an order in next week when they get some new stuff in this week...

- Chuck!
Old 11/21/2004, 11:02 AM
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
I went by the store today (and yesterday). All I have to say is that I'm very impressed with what I saw. Good selection and prices. Live stock looked very healthy, and they have great coral selection.
I don't know what other local LFS you have been in, but if this impressed you then I am flummoxed.

I went this past week with a zero balance credit card and a list as long as my arm.
First they were 15 minutes late even getting there to open up- way to impress me, not...

As far as I could see it is a typical "private fishroom" where you can't get anyone to help you- they're just good at looking busy.
Absolutely no interest in helping anyone.
Decent enough corals but nothing to scream about.
Next to zero fish selection in a dank and dirty room. I have more stuff in my office and I manage to mop the floors once in a while, too.

I came away empty handed and felt as if I had wasted half my day in the process.
Old 11/21/2004, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.

I've been to a good number of local stores on the Broward area (probably around 5 or 6). And I've been very unimpressed. You mainly see fish, and very little corals. Prices I seen were high in terms of dry and live good.

The 3 times I've been in ReefLife the treatment has been courteous and reasonably prompt. Could it be better? sure. I was mainly pointing out the positives. All the goods I have bought there (couple of fish, Salifert kits, RowaPhos, Froozen Foods, etc.), pricing has been the same or lower than the major online retailers. I think it is nice to be able to buy most of what you need at reasonable prices without having to wait and pay for shipping.
Old 11/21/2004, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

I've been to reef life many many times, if they look busy (it's because they are), one of the busiest stores around, and i've had nothing but courteous treatment, everyone is in such a rush, take time to smell the flowers or coral's in this case, they have one of the best selection of corals and fish, and i've been to all of them, i was there sat and pat was packing a shipment going to chicago, and i might add packed very well, they just got in some beautiful wrasses, heck i've been to a store in south palm bch were you can wait a 1/2 houre before someone will help you, that's never happend at reef life, there good people there, and will go out of there way to help you.

Last edited by onefin; 11/21/2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11/21/2004, 05:02 PM
Bah Humbug!!

I did receive a calm and polite PM explaining the situation on the day I visited. While I am still a bit ticked at the lost time, I will probably stop back in and give it another go.
Old 11/22/2004, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the great feedback so far...Jack e-mailed me today and let me know he's back so I'll be looking at an order soon.

Cearbhaill, thanks for the comments. Hopefully your next trip is better as it seems everyone that goes (from the comments) seems to be happy with them. Let us know how things are when you return (if you go again)...

- Chuck!