Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/06/2004, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

NEED YOUR ADVICE A.S.A.P ...Can "Coppersafe" be used on puffers!

Can "Coppersafe" product be used with puffers (Dogface or porcupine puffers(scaless fish)?

I'm getting mixed answers from LFS here. Does anyone know? Has anyone treated puffers with copper?

Which copper did you use?

Thanks a bunch in advance
Old 11/07/2004, 04:19 AM
Registered Member

I've used CopperSafe with countless of puffers (porcupines, dogface and spiny boxfish) without any problems. Just make sure you follow the directions and add 1/2 of the recommended dosage first, wait 48hrs, and then add the rest of the dosage.
Old 11/07/2004, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Thank you so much for your post.

In your oppion which copper would you use prefer for puffers, Copersafe or Cupramine? I heard Cupramine is not that stable? Your thoughts?

Greatly appreciated.
Old 11/07/2004, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Also can you tell me a good test kit you used with Coppersafe?

Thanks a bunch. I bought Cupramine but I use Prime and hear it falls outta sollution too. Damn I think coppersafe is the best way for me to go.

Thanks a bunch fishetcinc! *BIGHUGS*
Old 11/07/2004, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

My experience is that CopperSafe is more stable, functional and safer than Cupramine when used on scaless fish (puffers, lions, etc). I only use Cupramine on fairy wrasses and anthias which seem very sensitive to even CopperSafe for some reason.

When using Cupramine, copper levels always drop as time passes (skimmer pulls it out, ammonia removers neutrilzie it, etc) so you always need to add more every few days. This can lead to overdosing or underdosing issues. With Coppersafe, the copper levels stay the same for up to a month with just the initial dosage.

To test for copper, I use Seachem's Copper Test for both Coppersafe and Cupramine. I have also used LaMott's Copper Test but it is way too complicated to use regularly and very expensive (like $100 for 50 tests).
Old 11/08/2004, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

fishetcinc,
Super thanks for your reply.

Earlier, I was convinced to buy Seachem's Cupramine from LFS for my two, (dogface & Porcupine puffer) & two tangs (regal & yellow tang) as they claimed it was less harsh. I bought the Seachem test kit as well.

Have you ever tried Cupramine with puffers? I'm wonder if you have ever come across the issues I'm dealing with now. Lastnight took skimmer off before dosing. Added half amount only of Cupramine so 0.25. Tested 4 times already with the dose being just a little less then 0.25 (I think) as damn these color test kits are hard to read hey!

This morning my porcupine puffer would keep puffing up! Go through a choke puff up. Will go spirts without doing it and then will again. Although doesn't seem to be breathing heavy, wondering if you ever experianced this before with your using Cupramine before & if you ever came across this with Coppersafe with puffers reacting this way. Knew I should of tried Coppersafe... I wonder if I should switch.

My dogface was in bad shape before, breathing out of only one gill, and the gill open is blood red, also eyes are foggy, lays on bottom in the aerate (bubbles). Also noticed this morning red eyes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am finding alot of people can give advice on the copper issues especailly using with puffers (Scaleless fish)

Thanks a bunch in advance. *BIG HUGS*
Old 11/09/2004, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

I've use cupramine many times with puffers with no ill affects. Sounds like you may have a trematode or fluke problem which copper will do nothing for.
Old 11/09/2004, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

trematode or fluke problem ? Really? O.H NO! Not another thing!

I am wondering what the almost short string like things are on the dogface puffer. Maybe those flukes? what do they look like? How do you know?
Old 11/09/2004, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

if you go to seachem.com, read product info under medications
then cupramine they claim it will take care of flukes as well as any other parasitic infection, i have used with takes very succesfully
but never with puffers.. good luck
Old 11/09/2004, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Whether you use Cupramine, CopperSafe or even copper sulfate, your puffers should NOT experience any type of side effects, symptoms or changes in behavior at all. It is a very transparent therapy.

I agree with Jeffie that you may be looking at flukes (due to the closed/red gills, foggy eyes, and hanging around the aerate). Puffers are very susceptible to external parasites specially gill and eye flukes. Reputable dealers always deworm all puffers at arrival because they come loaded with parasites when caught in the wild. You should try a freshwater dip (copper will not kill flukes).

Prepare a container with RO water at the same temperature and pH (use an alkalinity buffer) as your quarantine tank. Put the puffer in the freshwater for about 3-5 minutes. Within 3 minutes, you should start seeing white flakes come off the puffer (these are the flukes). At the end of 5 minutes, pull him out and place him back in the quarantine tank.

When you put the puffer in the freshwater, he may act dead and flip on his back. This is a normal reaction of all fish to a freshwater dip so don't worry as long as he is still breathing. I do it all the time and I had never lost a puffer. Repeat the dip every 2 days until the symptoms of flukes go away.