Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2004, 01:24 AM
Koi Pimp

I guess the $65 on ebay was good then=)
Old 10/26/2004, 01:30 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

hrmm.. whats the url?
Old 10/26/2004, 01:51 AM
Koi Pimp

aquasafecanada was selling them. Don't have a url I was looking last week one day..
Old 10/26/2004, 10:29 AM
Resident physicist.

Well sure the sed. filters are a buck a piece if you order them online, homedepot sells the 5 micron ones for $8 for 2 of them

But having a whole house one might not be terribly bad, or atleast one hooked up to your kitchen sink. Oh well, this morning after flushing the tank I noticed the TDS went back down to 7, so all is happy now in my house. Now we'll just see how quick I can fill up a 50 gallon tank.. according to membrane should take, 16 hours, realistically, I'm probably looking atleast 24 at a minimum.
Old 10/27/2004, 01:14 AM
Koi Pimp

Its taking me days to fill up the 44g can.. I need to order a booster pump.. and it seems I can only make one good 44g with fresh filter before my TDS shooted up to the 80-90ppm range from 0
Old 10/27/2004, 01:29 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsuphysics
Well sure the sed. filters are a buck a piece if you order them online, homedepot sells the 5 micron ones for $8 for 2 of them
That's why I'm surprised more people didn't order a lot more sediment filters.
Old 10/27/2004, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

How 'bout another group buy Scott?
Old 10/27/2004, 01:53 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Well, like I was just telling Cindy, I ordered 100 of them. If they still haven't shipped my order by morning, I'll add another 25 and people can just let me know when they need them.
Old 10/27/2004, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

Let me know if you get those extras... by the looks of my old filter, I think I really need to be changing it out more often.
Old 10/27/2004, 09:37 AM
Koi Pimp

If there a $1/each I'll take 20 of them...
Old 10/27/2004, 10:21 AM
Resident physicist.

Man this new membrane is bringing me great joy (producing about 2-2.5 gallons per hour) yet is causing me such great pain. The first night while it was "breaking in" no problem, it filled up my storage tank no problem, then I flushed it out to get rid of the "dirty" water, and produced good stuff 6-8 tds. Then for about 10 hours yesterday I filled up my 50 gallon tank, and decided to shut it off overnight since it does make a much more loud gurgling sound when it flushes the membrane.. unfortunately this morning I woke up to hear the gurgling still going on. After some looking, I found that the reason is because the water from the storage tank somehow is going back through the membrane to wash it or something. Infact it's actually coming up through the airhole at the base of the sink dispenser (which worries me since that's more of an overflow if the tube gets backed up I think). Now I know the water is coming from the storage tank because when I pulled everything out under the sink to test it, it worked fine then I realized the hose to the tank was crimped, I uncrimped it and it started leaking again, so it has to be the water coming back out of that. Now I'll have to check the airpressure in the storage tank but don't see why it would be terribly different (don't know if the tire gauge for my car can accurately detect 5psi). Of course another solution would be to put a manual shutoff valve between the tank and the RO unit, which I really don't want to do because it'll be a pain to have to turn it off whenever I finish making water (I use it for drinking as well, not just the tank, else it wouldn't be an issue).

Looking over the instruction manual it says in the trouble shooting section that the water is constantly running/unit will not shut off some of the causes could be "Low water pressure" (possibility, but its at 40psi, it worked fine with the 25gpd membrane), "Crimp in Supply tube" (checked all the tubes, no crimps), "High water pressure" (wouldn't be the case), "high pressure in storage tank" (this is the one thing that might be the case, I have to get a digital air pressure reading to check it out).

But does anyone have any other ideas before I run to homedepot and buy a bunch of stuff?

Edit: Also it only drips when the unit is turned on, ie the supply tank isn't pushing out when the water is turned off, so maybe there's another problem someplace.
Old 10/27/2004, 10:50 AM
Refeer

I think your problem is one of the following.

1) Pressure in your storage tank is not high enough. You might need to put more air in it
2) One or both of the check valves to the ASOV is shot, either the 8 lbs or the 1 lbs one.
Old 10/27/2004, 12:03 PM
Resident physicist.

ASOV?

Well I think I found the problem, the water coming through the air hole in the sink faucet clued me in that maybe the drain line for the brine was clogged or something. Unscrewing it and trying to poke a q-tip through the hold to push anything out clued me in (just a little later) since the q-tip didn't go through, I wondered if the hole was big enough, then taking off the drain clamp I saw the hole was sufficiently sized (still didn't click in my mind what the problem was) so I tried to enlarge the hole, which caused me the drill to pull through rather quickly cracking the other side of the pipe (yay! something else to get at home depot).. then at homedepot getting the pipe it dawned on me that me pulling out the RO unit to change the filters might have twisted the clamp for the brine drain so that the hole became blocked by the clamp itself! Well having just redid the thing, the water is again flowing fine and its NOT coming out of the air gap hole either, and ironically I'm not hearing any gurgling sounds either *knocks on wood*. So I'm hoping that was the problem, it seemed to fix it though, while I wait for the tank to fill.

Btw what sort of pressure should I have on the storage tank? I got a digital tester which has a range of 5-150psi (smallest range they had), and it said there was 4.5 psi on the tank (accuracy +/- .5psi though) I've read online anywhere between 4 & 8 is where it should be, although the instruction manual specifies 5psi, but being as there is no longer stock parts on the thing I'm wondering if this is true.
Old 11/08/2004, 05:05 AM
Anemone Addict

hey is there any DI resin left that I could purchase?
Old 11/08/2004, 06:37 AM
Registered Member

Anyone have a recommendation for a complete RO/DI Kit? I just want to buy somethign already put together that I can mount under my kitchen sink. Down the road I might want to customize it more, but right now I just want a 35-75 gpd kit that includes a storage tank and faucet.
Old 11/08/2004, 10:29 AM
Resident physicist.

try ebay
Old 11/08/2004, 01:46 PM
reef princess

lego,

I bought my complete kit from http://aquaticreefsystems.com. They are a RC sponsor and give 10% to all members of RC. Amazing customer service, and they will put together a package for you if you tell them what you want. The important thing is to get an idea of your city's water quality. For instance, I added an extra stage and went with a lower gpd membrance after I told them that my city was increasing its use of chloramines. John is extremely helpful. They also have a forum on RC.

Incidentally, I have a 4-stage RO + 2 DI with a reservoir and faucet (included in the package) mounted under my kitchen sink. After the first 4 stages, water goes into a reservoir and that is what comes out of the faucet. The fish get the extra DI stages.

HTH.
Old 12/09/2004, 03:51 AM
Premium Member

Any extra's ?

Hmm, seemed I missed the RO group buy. Would anyone have a couple of spare sediment filters? Remember, its Christmas time....

Edit- Hmm, pulled my filter and its only slightly discolored. RO is running 171 -> 2, and the DI is knocking it down to 0.
Been 9 months since last media replacement, not too bad.

Last edited by badpacket; 12/09/2004 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12/09/2004, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lego
Anyone have a recommendation for a complete RO/DI Kit? I just want to buy somethign already put together that I can mount under my kitchen sink. Down the road I might want to customize it more, but right now I just want a 35-75 gpd kit that includes a storage tank and faucet.
Here's one for under the sink: http://www.airwaterice.com/product/DKWATERCOP

This one has no tank but includes DI filter: http://www.airwaterice.com/product/RKT

Here is their budget unit: http://www.airwaterice.com/product/FREEMM

Last edited by mobert; 12/09/2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12/09/2004, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

RO

Anyone have any spare replacement filters for my RO unit I can buy off of them?

I don't know much about it and would want to replace all of the filters if possible.

Mines looks like this.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showp...hp?photo=72212

Thanks folks.