Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2004, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMandarinFish
A whole house filter?

What is that and where did you get it?

Is it on the cold water line?
I got it almost 20 years ago from someone in the industry. It's an industrial grade metal cannister filter with 4 posts for eight 10" 5 micron granulated carbon cartridges. It filters all the water except the hosebibs and toilets. I change the filters out once a year. It makes me feel better about not absorbing chlorine in the shower: http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/shower-filter.htm
Old 10/19/2004, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeMack
I though they can last 5 years minimum usually with no problems, and with proper care (carbon to remove chlorine and periodic flushings of the membrane) they could last much longer. I could be wrong but I know some types can last that long.
This mfg says flushing is not needed:
http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/faq.htm#5

"Unneeded features: Are membrane-flushing and built-in TDS meters necessary? Why don't APEC ROs have them?

Frankly, these are useless features added just to help sell products. Membrane flushing is an old technology that is only used for commercial RO membranes these days. Most of the residential RO membranes now are using new technologies that require no flushing. The most dangerous is the "auto flush" type, because it actually "reduces" the life of your small home membrane by flushing it constantly, even when there is no need for it. We know others claim that with their flushing, their membrane can last 2-4 years. Yet our advanced membrane, without hassles of flushing, can last up to 8 years if you just change your pre-filters regularly. "

As I understand it, the chlorine can damage the membrane so that is why it is important to change the carbon filters regularly.
Old 10/19/2004, 06:05 PM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Bamm, you're lucky, they had problems getting everything together today, Added your new housing. Already noted you and Iona paid.

Jake, as many cartridges as you'd like.

FedEx hasn't updated any tracking info yet, so the boxes are still somewhere between here and florida. Hope that dude isn't driving all the way through!
Old 10/19/2004, 07:43 PM
Resident physicist.

Did you go for the cheap shipping? Shipping via pack mule?
Old 10/19/2004, 10:27 PM
Moved On

Scott - when / where can I meet you? Did my RO stuff come in?
Old 10/19/2004, 11:55 PM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Like I said, FedEx hasn't updated the tracking info since the 16th, so I don't have any new info on where the packages are at.
Old 10/20/2004, 12:52 AM
Koi Pimp

Scott thanks a bunch..
Old 10/22/2004, 11:29 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Okay all, it's all here. 5 boxes of stuff. Gonna sort through it in just a bit and put everyones stuff into bags. Greshams is easy to figure out cuz it's one long damned box! I'll post as soon as I make sure everything is sorted and nothing is missing.
Old 10/22/2004, 04:06 PM
Reefer

The long box, I like it
Old 10/22/2004, 09:10 PM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

!@$#%%!^@@#$#$%!@$#)&(##*@!!!!!!!!! BLAHHHH!H!! I feel like I just sorted a truck full of different length screws..

Okay.. After a long sort process (5 boxes of stuff) looks like everything is here EXCEPT I made a clearical error on the 5 micron sediment filters. So SFSUPyhisics, and Chupacabra (JoeMack), I am sorry, but they are on the next order (They're out of a few parts and haven't been able to ship my actual order yet, so I'll make sure it gets corrected, sorry, my mistake). In addition to that, Jake, there are a couple of GAC filters that are missing Rubber Washers on the bottom of them. I will bug them about this on Monday and see if I can get them to send those along as well. Other than that, everything is sorted. They did not have the 1/4" JG to 1/4" JG Y fittings, but sent T fittings instead. Paladin, if you want some extra 10" sediment filters, they're yours for the cost of the others you bought. That would bring your total to 10 of them instead of 6 and add only $3.40 to your order. If we can take care of the filter stuff now and distribute resin at another point, that would be easiest for me as I work Sat evening thru Wed Morning. I'll email each of you directly tho to try and setup a meeting time/place.
Old 10/22/2004, 09:11 PM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Oh yea, and shipping was a total of $83 I think, so we'll have to weigh everything to get everyons portion of the shipping down.
Old 10/22/2004, 10:46 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by spanker
Paladin, if you want some extra 10" sediment filters, they're yours for the cost of the others you bought. That would bring your total to 10 of them instead of 6 and add only $3.40 to your order.
Hmmm...but I did order 10: 6 x 20" filters and 4 x 10" filters. Is that not what you have ordered for me? Thanks for putting this together BTW.
Old 10/23/2004, 12:38 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

bwahahaha... Nope, you emailed me u only wanted 6 of them, but now it looksl like u have 10
Old 10/24/2004, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks again Scott! ...got the filters today. I guess I needed it more than I thought.

(sediment filter before and after) This is a little over a year's worth of damage. These filters were used strictly for drinking water in our kitchen faucet.

That was pretty gross when we opened the thing up. Brown water started squirting in Gabe's face. Pretty funny. But seriously though, we really need to get a TDS meter. I need to test the membrane and other components to see if they also need to be replaced. Anyone have any suggestions where I can get a good TDS meter?
Old 10/24/2004, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm.. what do you guys think about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...331513083&rd=1
Old 10/24/2004, 05:42 PM
Resident physicist.

That's not a bad deal for a TDS meter, mine cost just over $35. Also might want to add a chlorine test kit ontop of that just to make sure that your carbon is taking out the chloramines, the TFM will take care of most of your TDS issues.

But yes nasty, still don't know why some what the clear housing units if I saw what went through there I'd never drink water out of it!
Old 10/24/2004, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AquAddiction
Hmmm.. what do you guys think about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...331513083&rd=1
OK, after a search on RC, a lot of people seem to be happy with the Hanna TDS1. I guess I'll get this one then. Anyone else want one? It's the same $ to ship one or two units. I also emailed the seller about the 800ppm calibration fluid and he said it would be $1.50 extra (no extra shipping charges). I'll probably be placing my order tomorrow night. LMK
Old 10/25/2004, 12:02 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Quote:
Originally posted by AquAddiction
Wow! Looks like you need to change that quite a bit more frequently!
Old 10/25/2004, 01:24 AM
Koi Pimp

what filters would you guys recomend running on a 110gpd ro/di with 5 stages on a well with about 240PPM going into the RO/DI??
Old 10/25/2004, 10:51 PM
Resident physicist.

is there a break-in period for those thin film membranes? Mine seems to be working fine, but I'm getting a TDS reading of 56! (btw my tap is only 170).
Old 10/25/2004, 10:53 PM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

supposed to run it for a couple of hours yes.
Old 10/26/2004, 12:18 AM
Resident physicist.

Ahhh ok.

Well I replaced all the filters in it, it's at that 6month time frame anyways so figure why be a cheapass and wait a few more months, and when I pulled out my sediment filter.. yikes! Not as bad as AquA's but can anyone say Bundy Ice Tea?
Old 10/26/2004, 12:41 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

I usually tend to change my sediment filter around once a month, two max. Only reason being is that I end up with lower PSI and then end up getting a higher rejection rate. At a buck a piece, I think it's worth the 12 bucks a year to save a little more water.

In looking at this Big Blue unit that Gresham ordered, I'm actually rethinking my configuration and may end up ordering two large big blue units just for sediment filtration. Reason being I can probably put a couple of different grade sediment filters in there and still maintain pipe level pressure on the output that heads to my carbon and carbon block. This should keep higher PSI on the membrane, and thus, lower rejection rates. I may actually be able to use the larger filters for a longer period of time as well.
Old 10/26/2004, 01:14 AM
Koi Pimp

hmmmmmmm.. I need a booster pump.. Where can I get them cheap?
Old 10/26/2004, 01:18 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

When I looked at possibly doing that setup just to get the optimum pressure against the membrane, I think we found it was going to cost no less than around 200 bucks.