Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/05/2004, 06:03 PM
Moved On

missing...

Dinoman and others... 12 hrs now gone by between my last post........ you are right, some are missing who would have chimed in, could they. I would most likelly not use my pc if on gen power....so lets hope for the best......but from those who have been part of this thread who are in Frannie's fannie a little sign on roll call would be nice................Steve
Quote:
Who all is still missing, Phoneyguy and Cearbahail....anyone else?
Old 09/05/2004, 06:12 PM
RC Mod

Two and a half million customers are without power according to FPL. It's no surprise that they aren't checking in. Sure hope they had backup plans !!!

Agu
Old 09/05/2004, 06:21 PM
Moved On

agu

Quote:
Originally posted by Agu
Two and a half million customers are without power according to FPL. It's no surprise that they aren't checking in. Sure hope they had backup plans !!!

Agu
good to hear from you agu. Are you powered up okie?......steve
Old 09/05/2004, 07:10 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

im still here (in melbourne/palm bay). my house is without power - my friend's house has power. curfew is about to kick in.
Old 09/05/2004, 07:13 PM
Moved On

angiras

Old 09/05/2004, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up

....Listening to power transformers blow now.Four in the last hour.Lost power twice but only for an hour each time.Just waiting for my transformer to blow.What a lovely green tint those oil cans bring to the sky The damn thing is heading for my Dads house in Ceder Key now.Just talked to him.He put the last sheet of plywood up about an hour ago.
................Mickey
Old 09/05/2004, 08:57 PM
Moved On

hang in thier mick

......cowboy up Mickey
Old 09/05/2004, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Yeah well I got my eyes on IVAN.
Old 09/05/2004, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

Hang in there y'all. They say you're just about done. Hopefully Ivan will head through the gulf and miss you. Good luck with the clean up.
Old 09/07/2004, 10:20 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by sfshea
Hang in there y'all. They say you're just about done. Hopefully Ivan will head through the gulf and miss you. Good luck with the clean up.
.............O'coralman echos that....and hope all come back soon...........Steve
Old 09/07/2004, 10:32 PM

all in all - i was without power for 36 hrs. I did not lose any fish or coral or inverts. I did, however, keep hauling UPSes to and from my house to a friend's (that, strangely enough, never lost power). The tank got topped off and cranked back on last night at 8pm. I am still without cable or internet (tho I am able to mooch those services off of a friend as well. thankfully).

-Ben
Old 09/07/2004, 11:23 PM
RC Mod

Ben,

Congrats on surviving !!

Agu
Old 09/08/2004, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

Agu,

How was it for you? Also any luck on that info for me.

Regards,
ZC
Old 09/08/2004, 06:51 AM
Moved On

welcome back Ben...

These are hard times Ben....good job and glad all came through for you....by the way to all for your info........my father( who lives in orlando) is here....no power at his place(charley took all he had left at 65). he drove for 24 hrs before finding a hotel in west AL. Francis chased him up here. he said travel from O....was about 15 miles per 3 hrs.. Rest stops were like 'cane tailgate parties(N gaurd were keeping order). We are watching Ivan. Nashville(by 75 miles escaped everything,even rain). the cold front met what was left of "F" and pushed it away, right east of N'ville(bless you Mont Eagle)......thanks to the spirit in the sky..........now come back all you are missed.................Steve
Old 09/08/2004, 08:38 AM
Queen Supreme multitasker

We actually had what was left of the eye over top of us here in Knoxville. I thought that was pretty cool. My husband was in Columbia SC during Hugo and has such cool stories about that night. I know it wasn't "cool" but you know what I mean. In Columbia, 3 hours from the coast, they were without power for 2 weeks.

I hope Ivan decides to miss FL. No need for a Hat trick of hurricanes!

Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
- Leo Rosten
Old 09/08/2004, 11:08 AM
Moved On

rain

Julie.....did ya get alot of rain...looked like it from here? Oh, and by the way.....GO VOLS!!!!!.............Steve
Old 09/08/2004, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Agu
Ben,

Congrats on surviving !!

Agu
thank you! I was shocked that my last minute plan worked - I ran a total of 6 airstones (3 pumps). At times, I had cut back to using only one of the pumps to try and get as much life out of each individual UPS as possible.

And funny enough - the only thing I had in the house for topoff was zephyrhills bottled water. I was nervous about using it but realized that I had no choice really. The morning after I topped off and cranked pumps back on, I looked at the tank and realized that it just looked better to me than it ever had.

-Ben
Old 09/08/2004, 11:44 AM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by angiras
all in all - i was without power for 36 hrs. I did not lose any fish or coral or inverts. I did, however, keep hauling UPSes to and from my house to a friend's (that, strangely enough, never lost power). The tank got topped off and cranked back on last night at 8pm. I am still without cable or internet (tho I am able to mooch those services off of a friend as well. thankfully).

-Ben
I'm just west of Boynton Beach and in the exact same situation. After I ran down both my UPSes running the air pumps, I pulled the battery out of my car and gator clipped it to the UPS.
Old 09/08/2004, 11:50 AM
Queen Supreme multitasker

The rain is just now stopping. We had a little wind(20+mph) but no real flooding or damage.

We tailgated for four hours before the game, my favorite part

GO VOLS!

Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
- Leo Rosten
Old 09/08/2004, 11:51 AM
O|||||||O

Too bad we can't just bottle the rain water!!! We had 12" here...... Thankfully we are on higher ground and our neighbor has a huge retention pond, which is now completely full.... I selfishly REALLY hope Ivan misses us.

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Old 09/08/2004, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

conflicted.... Curious to know if anyone "in the large cone of error" that was/is also going to macna this weekend, is going through the same thing. I am scheduled to leave Friday morning and returning Monday morning. Where I live is relatively safe even from a direct hit, the building is concrete with metal fire walls, slanted roof, the area is not prone to flooding, not a lot of windows.... Only issue that really concerns me is the power and my tanks I was without power for almost 54 hrs after Frances hit N. Broward indirectly. Without knowing where the storm is heading, I really dont know what to do. Do I go and hope I get back in time? Do I stay and watch it go another direction?

Anyone else with this decision right now?

I know in the scheme of things this seems unimportant, but when you have spent alot of money on tickets and airfare it kinda matters.

missy
Vice President
Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Old 09/08/2004, 07:14 PM
High on Reefing!

see if u can find some one to house sit... do u have a generator?
Old 09/08/2004, 07:14 PM
High on Reefing!

see if u can find some one to house sit... do u have a generator?
Old 09/08/2004, 07:15 PM
High on Reefing!

Do you know any reefers local who can house sit or check in on your tank while ur away??? Do you have a generator?
Old 09/08/2004, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Power and cable for the internet just turned back on! the house was fine