Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/03/2004, 04:49 AM
Registered Member

Good luck today everyone. I know its down to a catagory3, but thats STILL a catagory3. Post updates if you can.

Larry

PEACE.....from Zeppelin

300 gallon Tenacor Acrylic Peninsula tank
Old 09/03/2004, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

Winds picked up a little here in St. Lucie County this morning. I think they are gusting around 30 mph. I happen to work for the phone company and we are preparing to go to the central office that provides the dial tone for this city. The walls are 3' thick poured concrete and the roof is poured concrete as well with no windows. They are only allowing for emplyees only and immediate family. I have to leave my dogs at the house as no shelters are allowing pets. My house is boarded up and they will be in the safest "I hope" rooms in the house. I am nervous as I have a 5 yr old son that doesn't understand why I am boarding up the house and we also have a 2 week old daughter.

I wish the best of luck to all who are going to stay in their homes and those who have no other place to go. If I didn't have this building to go to I would probably head down and over to Naples on the South-West corner of Florida. I don't understand why people are going north as the storm may change course. They know it will continue north but not sure if it will be west north west or just north or what.
Old 09/03/2004, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

We are going to start feeling the outerbands starting to come in. The thing with this storm is that the area of winds is very broad, so we are all going to get significant weather. There is still a possiblity that it can make a westerly turn into dade or broward county if it doesn't speed up. Either way we are in for a couple of days of terrible weather cause this storm is huge and slow.
Old 09/03/2004, 09:03 AM
Bah Humbug!!

Slow being the operative word.

We've been wondering if we would ever find the time to watch all three Lord of the Rings movies in one day, and I believe that day may have come.

You can only watch weather coverage for so long....
We're as ready as we can get. Did all we can do and will soon be hunkering down with giant bowls of popcorn and movies until the power goes.
Old 09/03/2004, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Now is when I am sooooo glad I bought that entire first season of 24 on DVD.

They made a point of reference to the speed of motion of the storm being only 9 mph. People can run at that speed....

We have a long way to go, and I hope it does not slow any further for alot of reasons.

Good luck to everyone and be safe!

missy
Vice President
Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Old 09/03/2004, 09:21 AM
On hobby time out!

Well, we are all bunkered in. It is a matter of when and for how long now. Sit back, enjoy electricity and running water while we can, and just go from there.
Old 09/03/2004, 12:16 PM
Moved On

good to hear from you

dgasmd,toni,missy,gpajon, Phoneyguy and others....good to hear from you.....we will ride things out from here, with you as long as you can com. I look at my tanks and can't help thinking of all of you.........lets hope this is the storm......before a long and much needed calm......... I would like to and maybe someone can tell me where to post a thread.......suggesting that those of us fortunte reefers.....in the event you less forunate reefers get wiped out.... can sorta adopt(there are alot of us) those of you who get waylayed and contribute frags to help ya'll(good ole boy talk ).....get back to reefing. It is very probable that LFS in FL.....will be impacted if not shut down, leaving some with no way to re-stock.......hopefully that won't be needed. Any Mods keeping up with this thread (BrianD)...your advice would be helpfull as I am willing to step up and volunteer(its the TN thing to do, thats how we got our name) as I'm sure others will as well........blessings to all...........Steve
Old 09/03/2004, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

well last track info says they think a possible west southwest turn might be what is happening.... this is not good news. Hopefully for us and not hopefully for those north of us this is not the case.....

missy
Vice President
Old 09/03/2004, 12:28 PM
Reeferus Horribilus

Yeah, I've been subscribed to this thread since the start. After the last one some of the folks from FL said they'd keep us posted when we could help. With 2 in a row it's going to take a lot of us but I'm sure we'll Git er done. (Just for your good ol' boy network )

I'm keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers as well and will have frags available later.
Old 09/03/2004, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Im staying in Orlando for the duration of the hurricane. Hopefully the house/tanks make it. Im like a half hour north of Verobeach where they say it is going ot hit.
Old 09/03/2004, 12:42 PM
O|||||||O

I just went and got some gold....uh, I mean gas....and figured if we can get hit by 2 hurricanes in 3 weeks, that my chances of winning the lottery have severely increased!! ....but I'll be happy if nothing happens to our house this time.

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Old 09/03/2004, 12:46 PM
Moved On

git er done

Jay..thanks for chiming in.....hang in there sdbeazley.....my father,the old man...left O, as he was down 8 days with Charley(at 65 he'd had enough). He put the dog, cat and himself in the car and id headed this way.......it will all work out. 'Cause, as Jay, myself and others will....git er done. I know how you'd feel to leave your things......my junior of High School is as you....he'd not leave either. You should be in school .....I'll bet this is one time you'd agree ............Steve
Old 09/03/2004, 02:54 PM
Grouper Pooper Scooper

They say that you can expect to get the center of the storm wherever Jim Cantore from The Weather Channel is reporting from. Right now, he is reporting from I-95 here in Palm Bay about 5 miles from my house. lol

Winds have picked up here to about 30 mph as we start getting the outer bands. I am about 10 miles from the beach, and we are about as ready as we will be. I tested the generator, and I was able to run the entire house except for the central A/C. I bought a room air conditioner yesterday, and I can run it on the generator. I am collecting 5-gallon buckets of RO/DI for the tanks as the day progresses. I will keep posting until I lose the connection. Good Luck everyone.
Old 09/03/2004, 03:14 PM
Moved On

jim cantore

Siklid......Me and da boys will relocate Mr. Cantore.....in the meantime....i found that keeping my tanks temp to 75...even 74, gave me(more dissolved oxy.) alot more time before action was needed. example.......6 wks ago a storm knocked outpower for about 30 hrs. After 16 hrs....i decieded to get a gen. At that time both my tanks temp had risen to 81 as outside was almost 90(when the power went out in my fishroom, I just shut the door and hoped for the best). Had I started the ordeal with the temps higher..... i would have had no time to hope. As it was not a thing was effected. Keep in mind.....thats no water movement at all for 16 hrs and both my tanks are at bio-load max........meaning my wallet was small from all the coral in my tanks. The LFS dude gave me this tip.......things don't grow as fast, but they are not on the edge of disaster either.............Steve
Old 09/03/2004, 07:01 PM
RC Mod

The situation seems to have changed .

Francis has slowed it's progress to 4 mph and winds are down to 105 mph. Speculation is that it's moving so slow that it's sucked up cooler water from deeper in the ocean and the heat is no longer feeding it. It's still a cat 2 storm as big as Texas but this is a huge developement.

Good Luck to everybody out there in it's path.....

Agu
Old 09/03/2004, 09:54 PM
On hobby time out!

Well, we are starring at this beast right in the eyes and she is still angry and very moody. I am on call inhouse at the hospital and looking out the window now I don't see much action going on. Must have had a band just pass.
The worst part is that since it is so slow, it will have tons and tons of rain to dump. Hope everyone is tight at home because I don't want any extra work with some idiot running around defying the wind or some nut trying to go surfing naked on the bigger waves. There is never shortage of those though....................
Old 09/03/2004, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

luckily they have called for a curfew on all the beaches, should help some...

winds are starting to pick up now.... havent seen any rain since the big band came through around 3:30. As this thing continues to wobble south and west I would imagine that will change.

just sitting and waiting havin a few beers, watchin some movies while there is power and hopin this thing chills out and continues to break apart.

missy
Vice President
Old 09/03/2004, 10:09 PM
Works for corals

Melbourne, Fl resident reporting in from Atlanta, GA
Old 09/03/2004, 10:45 PM
Moved On

good to hear

You folks hang in.......God must have heard something ....Francis did not split FL as thought(kinda like charley figurin' all the folks had gone to Orlando....so would it....not Tampa ). Maybe the cool water will Git Er done and the spirit in the sky.....will too. Keep chiming in........we will prolly get some rain up here in TN and that has alot to do with Franie and where it shakes its fannie. My fishroom is the place in my basement that has been known to get some water.......kinda strange.....water flooding the fishroom ......dgasmd.....your sig. says it all ...............Steve
Old 09/04/2004, 01:13 AM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Someone needs to take pictures as it approaches.
Old 09/04/2004, 03:12 AM
Registered Member

ahah that would be memorable..I wish all of you guys LUCK...and be safe...we'll all pray for ur safety
Old 09/04/2004, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

btw i'm not trying to be mean or anything..just it be kinda memorable to get a pic of it..even tho....but yeah..you knwo wut i'm saying, sorry if my words aren't worded correctly
Old 09/04/2004, 03:24 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

in melbourne/palm bay -- the winds have picked up. ive only seen it rain twice so far (very sudden and sporadic). waiting to see the 5am report before leaving the house. the place where i will likely be riding it out is 3ft thick concrete floors/ceiling. At this point - its the waiting that seems to be the worst part.

-Ben
Old 09/04/2004, 05:27 AM
Grouper Pooper Scooper

It's 6:25 A.M. I woke just now to the sound of the wood creaking in the attic. We are getting a strong outer band. Went outside and now it is raining and sustained winds of 30 mph. There is alot worse to come. We have not lost electricity yet.

Last edited by Sicklid; 09/04/2004 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09/04/2004, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

I was actually outside (in a somewhat sheltered area) at about 3am and was counting how many transformers were blowing around my area. You can tell by the greenish glow they emit as they shortout.

My dogs are still outside and don't seem to mind as they are still rough housing. I just came in from checking the greenhouse and it still has not blown it's top. I can only hope it holds tonight when things get worse.

Gon