Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/31/2004, 08:54 AM
gearhead
Unregistered

keep the windows closed!!! opening them allows the wind in & the roof comes off.
Old 08/31/2004, 08:54 AM
RC Mod

I was a near miss with Charley, it hit 20 miles south .

Learned there are three things you can't get just before and after a hurrican, gas, water, and batteries. We couldn't even get into our local 7/11 before they ran out of gas. That went on for a week after Charley hit.

Good luck everybody,

Agu
Old 08/31/2004, 09:03 AM
O|||||||O

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhead
keep the windows closed!!! opening them allows the wind in & the roof comes off.
That's what I was thinking....when I read that article, I was thinking....."the last thing I'll be thinking about is watching where the storm is to see what the right windows are " .....seemed a bit rediculous. Just be safe and keep them closed.

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Old 08/31/2004, 10:02 AM
Salty Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by NoobieNemo
i really hope it hits NC (and no one gets hurt of course) I just want to get out of school and go home for a few days!
and I really hope it doesn't...with this type storm many people will be hurt/killed. Once you've been through a couple, and the aftermath, you will never make a statement like that again.

Don't take this the wrong way as I too used to "want" the hurricanes to hit, just for the thrill of it. After having to watch many in my town lose all of their possessions after Floyd I hope to never see another one.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff!
Old 08/31/2004, 05:28 PM
sedentaryologist

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamesurq
How about building your house on a big hydraulic lift. When the storm comes you can just press a button and it will submerge underground.... yeah, yeah....

Or maybe you could have a force field around your house like on Star Trek. That's what I'd do...

Or maybe any single option that would actually provide the amount of protection needed would be too ugly and cost prohibative that you'd be better off just rebuilding your house every 3-4 years...
WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT PUSH THE BIG RED BUTTON!
- Daffy Duck.

Try this. Take a terra cotta pot and break the bottom off of it. Turn it upside down in your tank and set it on the bottom. Then take about a 1200 GPH pump and direct the flow over the top of it.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51
Old 08/31/2004, 05:33 PM
sedentaryologist

I moved to Raleigh NC from Richmond VA in March of 1996. In September of 96 Fran hit. I had never seen anything like this in my life. There was 1 cashpoint ATM that worked near my house, I bet I saw 300 people lined up at it. When Floyd hit, almost everyone lost power in the eastern part of NC. One grocery store owner packed up his refrigerated truck and drove around the town selling goods for CHEAP, about a week after the storm when the roads became passable again. He was dragged from his vehicle, beaten, and robbed. His truck was sacked, his wallet was stolen . . . . . this is the kind of aftermath a severe hurricaine leaves.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51
Old 08/31/2004, 06:46 PM
Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Coral Dilema
I He was dragged from his vehicle, beaten, and robbed. His truck was sacked, his wallet was stolen
Probably asking for it.... Damn good samaritan...
Old 08/31/2004, 07:35 PM
RC Mod

Coral Dilema brings up a good point, without communications credit card machines don't work. Cash however is accepted everywhere....

Agu
Old 08/31/2004, 09:52 PM
Hippocampus fun!

On the subject hurricane-proofing, there's a hurricane-proof house about 20 minutes from my house. It's out in the country and basically looks like a giant cement igloo. It's cool to see, but a little weird I guess since people actually live in it haha. They're safe from hurricanes at least.
Old 08/31/2004, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

I said it before and I'll say it again, I need a generator.
Old 08/31/2004, 10:45 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Will
On the subject hurricane-proofing, there's a hurricane-proof house about 20 minutes from my house. It's out in the country and basically looks like a giant cement igloo. It's cool to see, but a little weird I guess since people actually live in it haha. They're safe from hurricanes at least.
Or you can setup on of these in your backyard
http://www.usbunkers.com/main.htm
Old 09/01/2004, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

true story: please dont hurt me!!

About 10 yrs ago I had a nightmare, woke up in a panic, shaking sweating couldnt breathe the works...

Was about a hurricane named Frances, dont have any idea where it hit only that it was very bad. was a very vivid dream. I saw the whole thing happening and the horror that it left.

After awhile I forgot about it. When this storm was named, it started to come back to me. Not long after, a family member called me and asked me if I remembered having this dream and what was the name of the storm. Unfortunately it was the same.

I now a few days later find myself unemployed due to layoffs in my company. If the storm god forbid does as it did in my nightmare I wonder if the NHC will hire me. Tho I really hope for all our sakes here in FL as well as everyone else in the storms path that it spares us.

missy
Vice President
Florida Marine Aquarium Society
Old 09/01/2004, 06:09 AM
Grouper Pooper Scooper

This hurricane is a monster still coming right at my house around 8 P.M. Saturday. It's Crazy here. I saw people running into one another with their cars yesterday and fighting over getting gas at the station. Everybody is already sold out of Plywood, gas cans, generators, and stations are running out of gas as it is in half supply right now because of Charlie. Looks pretty grim at this point.

From Florida Today and Patrick Air Force Base in Melbourne. I live about 25 miles South of Patrick.

"Hurricane Frances is currently 809 miles southeast of PAFB/CCAFS (Cape Canaveral Air Force Station). It is a Category 4 Hurricane with winds in excess of 120 knots (140 mph). It is moving northwest at 15 knots (17 mph) and in the general direction of the Florida central coast and PAFB/CCAFS.

Given this movement, the closest point of approach to PAFB/CCAFS is currently forecast to be 30 miles southwest of PAFB/CCAFS on Saturday, 4 September at 8 PM. At that time, PAFB/CCAFS could experience wind speeds in excess of 100 knots (115 mph), heavy
downpours, street flooding, hail, and isolated tornadoes.

At landfall, this hurricane could produce a storm surge along the immediate coast in excess of 12 feet above normal tide level."

Last edited by Sicklid; 09/01/2004 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09/01/2004, 06:12 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by missy1101
Was about a hurricane named Frances, dont have any idea where it hit only that it was very bad. was a very vivid dream. I saw the whole thing happening and the horror that it left.
Ok now that has me worried...

-Dino-

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 09/01/2004, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

All in FL,

I was there the day after Charly. I hope this thing miss you guys. I was with out Gas, Water, even Candle and food for three days in Orlando. Not until Monday was anyone able to get gas. Gas was only given out be ration.

God luck.

Agu,

Round two for you. Maybe I should reconsider. hahaha
Old 09/01/2004, 07:10 AM
Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by dinoman
Ok now that has me worried...

-Dino-
dude - you're in Wyoming... What are you worried about?
Old 09/01/2004, 07:18 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
All the people down there, while I don't know anyone personally down there I still do wish for their safety.

-Dino-

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 09/01/2004, 07:26 AM
Moved On

Greenville..

Jamesurq....i was born in Greenville...on an Air Force base(left for Europe @2 mos. so I remember nothing ).....you folks get much of this 'cane stuff? I am glad to be in the mountains. As I posted earlier.....I have had my share while living in Tampa......of his and her'canes.....they are naming them after guys......that would make it a hisicane. Just trying to lighten things up, but as I sit here watching Francis bear down......its an uncomfortable feeling as most of my familly is still in FL and Ga(southeastern part....'round the Ga/Fl border) and I am worried. They are still reelin' from Charley........ Steve
Old 09/01/2004, 07:29 AM
Moved On

to dinoman

......good point as we all should pray for the "downsouth" folks....enough is enough......and I complain when my basement leask ........Steve
Old 09/01/2004, 07:34 AM
Moved In

Quote:
LOL, we pray for rain! Where do you live in Wyoming?

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 09/01/2004, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

I certainly hope everyone come out alright.Houses can be rebuilt but lives cant.So if your in a flood plain or in the storm surge please take heed and go somewhere safe.Looks like on nasty momma.
Old 09/01/2004, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

Tornadoes in the summer
Old 09/01/2004, 07:41 AM
Moved On

tornaders

son!.....you got that right
Old 09/01/2004, 07:43 AM
Moved In

There isn't any tornadoes here!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 09/01/2004, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

Be safe. Assessing risk in hindsight is never a good idea. The "woulda, shoulda, coulda" approach might work when dealing with your tank, but not with your life. If you have any question about the damage 140 mile per hour wind can do, look up Hurricane Andrew.