Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/21/2004, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

VHO vs. PC

I'm looking to upgrade my lighting.
Due to space problems I have only 2 choices, VHO or PC's. In either case I can only use 2 bulbs (1-96W Actinic & 1-96W 10K).
Which way would you go??????
Old 02/21/2004, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

i got the pfo retrofit upgrade from marine depot. i built a DIY canopy in about an hour and a half and then mounted the lights in there. my set up is just like what you are talking about-1 96 watt true actinic and 1 96 watt 10k. i like it very very much. i have heard though that the vho's put out a little more light you'll be much happier with either, and i fully reccommend pc's
Old 02/21/2004, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 02/21/2004, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

In my personal experience, vho bulbs last longer than PC bulbs. PC pulbs seem to burn out, or they break where the two bulbs are joined near the tip. Your results may vary.
Old 02/21/2004, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

I've used both and I'd go with VHO's (URI bulbs on an Icecap ballast) over PC hands down. Have you considered T-5's though?
I'd go with the T-5's over both VHO and PC.
Old 08/29/2004, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

why are the t-5's better?
Old 08/29/2004, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

I am so sick of the PC bulbs the are to fragile and break where they connect safe yourself that aggravation buy vho
Old 08/29/2004, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Well, according to the most recent survey, PC are much more popular with this group according to who has what (28% ownership to 11%)

however, most of the posts I have seen say that VHO is the way to go

an interesting dichotomy...
Old 08/29/2004, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

i too am in a light dilema

i think T5's are a good option, have a look at this product and see what you think

http://www.theaquariumshop.co.uk/ish...hopscr237.html
Old 08/29/2004, 08:59 PM
S. Gigantea junky

Some Basic T5 facts off the bat:

T5-HO lighting is a breakthrough in aquaristic lighting. T5-HO lamps have some very distinct advantages over their predecessor fluorescent lighting sources such as Compact Fluorescents, T12, T12 VHO and T8. These benefits include lamp life, power efficiency, output per watt and small size (which lends itself for easy redirection & focus). For starter, T5-HO enjoys the same benefits of fluorescent lighting like low power consumption, high efficiency, minimal heat production, long lifespan, etc. But T5-HO also outperforms CF (Compact Fluorescent) & VHO (Very-High-Output) lighting in the following ways:

Extremely high luminous efficiency at 91 lm/W (compare to VHO's 72-75 lm/W). Certain T5 models can achieve 104 lm/W.
High lumen output - up to 7,000 lumens - for improved system efficacy and reduced number of fittings.

Reduced environmental impact - only 5mg mercury.
Less raw material than even T8 lamps (38% less glass, less phosphor and less packaging materials).

Smaller physical dimensions for improved light output control and smaller, more aesthetic fittings.

Smaller diameter also means that you can fit more tubes in the same amount of space.

Possesses a higher temperature optimum (25° - 35° C depending on models).

Due to its smaller diameter (5/8" or 16mm) and shorter length than T8 (of same achievement), their beams are much easier to redirect and intensify. CF, on the other hand, due to their unique U-shape and larger diameter, cannot achieve this reflection level. A non-reflected T5-HO 54W is slightly brighter than a non-reflected CF 55W. But with reflector use, this difference is substantially increased (300 - 400% increase).

Runs on high efficient electronic ballasts with 97 - 98% efficiency.
Designed for HF-operation: higher lamp efficacy and lower ballast losses than conventional ballasts.

Built to operate at higher temperature than CF & VHO, this translates into extended durability & longevity. Indeed, T5-HO tube typically lasts for around 20,000 hours. That's 2 years for sunlight & 15-18 months for actinic and daylight tubes.
Old 08/30/2004, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

go vho or t-5 not pc they brake
Old 08/31/2004, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

are power compact and compact flourescents the same thing?? i have PC's and am wondering about another upgrade one day.
fried
Old 08/31/2004, 09:46 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

what is the average price of a 4' T-5 pure actinic?

It sounds like I could replace one 4' 96w T-12 VHO with 2 T-5's in the same physical space and increase my total actinic light output by what???????

Does anyone run them off of IC660's OK?