Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/20/2004, 01:52 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

would the use of ozone in a soft coral tank be detrimental or positive? (after reading this entire thread, i would think it would be positive. wanted to be sure)

-Ben
Old 08/23/2004, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

is there any diagrams on how to hook up the ozone? I have an ETSS skimmer and it would help me alot to see a picture...
4-110w atinic
Registered Member

is there any diagrams on how to hook up the ozone? I have an ETSS skimmer and it would help me alot to see a picture...
4-110w atinic
Registered Member

4-110w atinic
Old 08/23/2004, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

sorry dont know how that happened
4-110w atinic
Old 08/23/2004, 08:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by B.Bones
Do to high volume of air going thru the Etss skimmer i will not recommend it .
The ozone will escape in the living space of your home very easily and if you have small children is a no no.
Now if you put a large carbon filter in the air outflow of the skimmer that will be better, but i still said no ozone with that skimmer.
Old 08/23/2004, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

what else should i do ?
4-110w atinic
Old 08/24/2004, 03:18 AM
-

Quote:
what else should i do ?
e-mail ETSS and ask how to use ozone with that skimmer
Old 08/24/2004, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

How about an Ozone reactor?
Old 08/24/2004, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Do to high volume of air going thru the Etss skimmer i will not recommend it . The ozone will escape in the living space of your home very easily and if you have small children is a no no.
What exactly are the risks associated with ozone?
Old 08/24/2004, 09:04 AM
RC Mod

For those not wanting to run ozone through their large skimmers, you can also just run it with an airpump through an el-cheapo airstone skimmer. It was quite common in the past to use a large skimmer alongside a little airstone skimmer w/ ozone. I know Lee's and Berlin make little plastic airstone skimmers that would work great.

Old 08/24/2004, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Would you also not recommend me running ozone through the venturi of my Kent Marine TE skimmer?
Old 08/25/2004, 06:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coderabit21
Would you also not recommend me running ozone through the venturi of my Kent Marine TE skimmer?
Sorry not familiar with that skimmer.
Old 08/25/2004, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

Mark
I am using the berlin skimmer, can I run ozone in it and still use the airstone for skimming. also how would you hook it up. Or would I just replace the airpump with the ozone.

Rich
Old 08/25/2004, 07:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparky0028
Mark
I am using the berlin skimmer, can I run ozone in it and still use the airstone for skimming. also how would you hook it up. Or would I just replace the airpump with the ozone.

Rich

I good way to be sure you don't get any ozone residue in your tank is to run carbon in the outflow of any ozone generate devise.
I don't know if you can do that with the above pictured air driven Red Sea skimmer.
Old 08/25/2004, 08:53 AM
RC Mod

coderabit21 and Sparky0028,

Both of you could run ozone in your skimmers no problem. Just put a T into your airline going into the skimmer and attach the ozone to it. I actually just feed the ozone right into the venturi inlet without a T. But I assist the airflow with an airpump, because I felt the ozone unit restricted the pull of air into the venturi. But it's a small pump.

All ozone units require either an air pump to push the air through or a venturi to pull the air in. The ozone unit itself does not create airflow. It merely converts the air going through it to ozone.

Hey Zoom,
I'm not sure if you can route the exit water through carbon. But if the goal is to run only a little ozone for a few hours to help clear the water, I don't think carbon is necessary. Ozone is dangerous stuff, no doubt. And a tiny little amount goes a long way. If you used the little skimmer pictured above for ozone and ran it at 10mg/hr on, say, a 100g tank, I don't think carbon is needed.

If you want to run a lot more ozone, then I would suggest placing the above skimmer in a little box that routes the water through some carbon.
Old 08/25/2004, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Mark, that is great to hear.

Rich
Old 08/25/2004, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

It is to risky to run any amount of ozone directly in your tank.
If the air driven red sea skimmer use directly inside a tank, you know some one will over do it with the amount of ozone use and kill everything in there tank.
I only recommend ozone use inside a sump and with carbon in both ends of the ozone reactor.
I try to use ozone in a ETSS skimmer and you actually can smell the ozone in the room with that skimmer the air goes thru that skimmer to fast for the ozone to react with the water.
Old 08/25/2004, 09:38 AM
Parrotfish in Mexico

I'm wondering if the "toxic ozone" issue is sort of like an urban legend--

Has anyone directly or personally observed a tank getting "fried" by ozone? What happens when a tank fries?

Ozone is very unstable, I think you would really have to go out of your way to harm your tank, unless tank was very small with a very large ozone input directly onto livestock. I'm running 100mg into my skimmer, without an air dryer so likely much less, but my water is great, snails play in the skimmer output without problem, no carbon.

I'm I risking "frying" my tank? I've been doing this for a long time.
Old 08/25/2004, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drtango
I'm wondering if the "toxic ozone" issue is sort of like an urban legend--

At the levels we use in reeftanks, its total urban legend.

I agree, Ozone is so reactive, that the free radical is not going to have time to make it up to the main display (from the sump that this) without reacting to something. I no longer run carbon on the skimmer outflow. I've been testing for O3 byproducts for a while now and cant detect them in the main tank (red sea test kit).

If one gets a public aquarium sized ozonator and cranks it in their home reef tank, then sure, you'll fry the tank and your lungs.

This lastest talk of frying the tank with O3 is over kill.
Old 08/25/2004, 10:15 AM
RC Mod

Zoom, there have been times I have cranked up my ozone a bit, and I could indeed smell it in the room. And I'm sure someone could read my suggestion, use a ton of ozone, and kill everything. My suggestion is to use at your own risk. Like I said, a tiny amount goes a long way. If someone overdoes it with kalkwasser or CO2 into the reactor, they can harm their tank as well.

For the inexperienced, carbon is a good safety net of sorts. But they could also still cause their redox to go too high and nuke the tank as well. Simply put, ozone is not for the inexperienced.

Ozone is very very reactive and breaks down quickly. The danger with ozone is not so much the ozone itself, but that it converts bromide to hypobromite. Hypobromite is similar to chlorine in it's effects in the tank. The carbon removes the Hypobromite, so that it does not build up to dangerous levels in the tank. Do a search in the chemistry forum for ozone, there is a good thread on it. If you run only a tiny amount of ozone(relative to tank volume), and you run carbon somewhere in the sump along with regular water changes, the bromide issue is usually avoidable.
Old 08/25/2004, 10:17 AM
RC Mod

To quote Boomer:
Quote:
Take note that these given ozone levels are the same recommended levels, but that does not mean you will actually get these oxidant (hypobromite) levels, but is theoretically possible. With Bromide levels in most salts between 30-70 mg / l that is allot of hypobromite, if even 10 % of it only got converted. By far this will not happen, as the ozone is also competing with other products to oxidize. We don't want any hypobromite in the tank, just like we don't want any chlorine in the tank. Think of it this way, you are always striving to make sure there is no chlorine in your tank, a reason behind dechlorinators, RO/DI. Well, hypobromite has the same exact affect a chlorine, which is hypochorite, aka Bleach, aka Clorox. So you are making Bromine Bleach and Bromine Bleach is used as a replacement in some spa's and swimming pools, more expensive but no smell.
from this thread:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...39#post2016339
Old 08/25/2004, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

hey zoom i have an etss 600 skimmer. what else should i do to run the ozone? I read somewhere a ozone reactor?????
I want to try to keep it simple!
4-110w atinic
Old 08/25/2004, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
hey zoom i have an etss 600 skimmer. what else should i do to run the ozone? I read somewhere a ozone reactor?????
I want to try to keep it simple!

Coralife makes Ozone Reactor don't know who sells it.
Old 08/25/2004, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

Anyone know where I can get a T?