Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2004, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

WOW! Anyone look through that Dr. Rona/Watershed website?

For only $400, you can have a "miracle" water ionizer that will turn your water into a cure for just about anything you can imagine!

Who knew running a few volts of electricity through your water could do such a thing! Stuff like this is what makes holistic medicine a joke.
Old 08/13/2004, 07:20 PM
Proprietor of Funk …

I agree DI is bad and RO is fine

smiller > was it RO/DI you were drinking ? or just RO..

P.S. I have heard that if you put a piece of lemon, or rind from a fruit that it gives some traces back to the DI water, and then can be drank ..
Old 08/13/2004, 09:00 PM
Mr. Oopie Doopie

Quote:
Conclusion:
I think I agree with that as much as I agree with anything else.
Old 08/13/2004, 09:07 PM
Mr. Oopie Doopie

Quote:
Originally posted by uncwalley

Conclusion:

Careful with that article. Dr. Rona may very well be right, though I doubt it, but there really isn't any research in that article, just what he claims to have observed over his time treating patients. There are huge issues of bias when basing medical truth on this type of "research."
Old 08/13/2004, 09:46 PM
RC Mod

If your only input of fluids/nutrients is RO/DI water you may have a problem. However most people have varied and diversified inputs of food and fluids. In that case drinking pure water isn't an issue. Now if you're fasting and ro/di water is the only thing you consume there might be a problem...

btw, I drank ro/di for over a year and I'm still alive .

Agu
Old 08/14/2004, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

I'd be more concerned with the holding container, than I would the water that comes from the R) unit.

RO water is pure, and and an easy target for bacteria.

How much water movement is in that container?
Old 08/15/2004, 03:16 AM
Flow Guru

My wife and myself drink RO/DI water. Lots of it. My wife drinks like 2 gallons a day. I don't think it affects us negatively.

I use a post carbon filter after the RO/DI and that seems to give it a pleasant taste. In fact I feel that everything else tastes bad.
Old 08/15/2004, 06:59 AM
Mr. Oopie Doopie

The container has a Maxi-jet 1200 that keeps the water moving pretty good. TDS, 0. The RO is T'd off to a carbon filter and we drink it all the time. At least a gal per day. Best tasting water I have ever had.
Old 08/15/2004, 02:20 PM
Proprietor of Funk …

Wow, everyone has their own opinion on this matter, I wonder if any chemist will chime in to put the myth/urban legends to rest once an for all.

- Is DI water safe to drink ?
- If not , why ?

I could search all day on the internet and find conflicting articles stateing both ways. I want to KNOW THE TRUTH !!!!

---- calling Dr. Ron, come in over ....
Old 08/16/2004, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

Chemist here and like I said RODI is devoid of minerals if your fiters are working correctly. If you notice on bottled water it is filtered and then has minerals added back to it to provide for taste. Note also the understanding that one is not to drink distilled water that you buy in the super market. Not it usually is labeled not for human consumption. Of course upon looking online you found a varity of arguements. Scientifically it is deffinately not the best for you but alas a lot like smoking it is something the body can adjust to. For examplt not every smoker develops lung problems and every alcoholic does suffer liver failure. Personally I will not drink RODI....... RO probably and if it came down to it I would drink RODI, but would be tempted to add a little something do it for taste. I also won't drink water off softner because of the sodium content and yet will drink tap water without a second thought because ultimately I can't drink beer 24/7 justa bout 7/7 does it for me.
Old 08/16/2004, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

I'll drink to that....
Old 08/16/2004, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Theoretically, RODI water would have a high osmotic pressure across a membrane such as the digestive tract lining, but this is assuming the water isn't mixed with anything. In your body, it is. Well mixed, with saliva which is fairly high in solutes, with mucus that lines all of your tract, with HCl in the stomach, bile and bicarb in the intestines, not to mention all the other stuff you put in your mouth.
If you really are nervous about this RODI stuff, take a multivitamin. If the water tastes bad, stir the vitamin in the water.

On another note, smokers not getting lung cancer isn't proof of the bodies ability to adjust, just proof that people who do dangerous things sometimes get lucky. All smokers after a certain age have less than ideal lung performance when compared to non-smokers. This is due to the bodies means of adjustment to cigarette smoke, mucus production, inflammation, and smooth muscle proliferation. Those are bad.
Old 08/16/2004, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

I would think that in the case of an emergercy, drinking all sorts of things is better than nothing at all. Dehydration is worse than the risks of RO/DI.

Hope you (and your tanks!) weathered the storm fine. I can't remember where Sarasota is, were you out of the way?

k.
Old 08/16/2004, 07:52 PM
Mr. Oopie Doopie

40 miles north of ground zero. Didn't see much at all here thank God. We are just south of Tampa 40 miles on the Gulf side. Major damage in Punta Gorda, 40 miles south, and other places thru the state all the way to Daytona. I was pretty sure that the DI water was good just thought it wouldn't hurt to get an opinion or 2. I have tasted the DI water and ................. nothing. Tasteless. RO on the other hand is superb.