Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/30/2004, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Flame angels keep dying recently

Has anyone bought a flame angel that survived for more than five days? Every angel i've tried this past year has died for no reason. Many of them just die in their sleep, even after eating and looking very healthy. I'm so fustrated, because they're my favorite fish. Does anyone know where I can get one that with high survival rates?
Old 06/30/2004, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Buy a captive bred angelfish. Positively not cyanide caught. They eat basically everything and less damaging to the reefs. And also cheaper in the long run.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...21&pCatId=1644
Old 06/30/2004, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone bought one of these angels? The one's I bought where suppose to be net caught, but they still die. I remember five years ago they were considered hardy, but recently they die no matter what.
Old 06/30/2004, 10:29 PM
Secret Member

How is the acclimation done? What is the water condition?

IMO the toughest angels are no where to be compared with damsels or clowns.
Old 06/30/2004, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I drip acclimate for three hours. All params perfect. Everything lives except for flame angels. SPS, clams, LPS, xenia, all the fish I've added. I get good luck with everything except these flames. I think it's cyanide. Im gonna try to save up money and buy a captive bred like baylor suggested. Im just wondering if someone has ordered one of these captive bred angels before and if they think it's much hardier than wild ones. IME, captive clowns are alittle dumb. They don't host anemones often, and often just wander around aimlessly waiting for the next meal. Could just be that individual clown.
Old 06/30/2004, 10:47 PM
Secret Member

Your acclimation is more than fine.

And SPSs are ok must not be your water quality.

So I guess you really have not so good luck when getting your specimen.
Old 06/30/2004, 10:49 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

What are the other fish in the tank?

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 06/30/2004, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Two clowns and an orchid dottyback. I didn't see any signs of aggression, but the orchid could have done something secretly.
Old 06/30/2004, 11:16 PM
Secret Member

If there is no serious wound I doubt it is due to aggression, though the stress might contribute to it.
Old 07/01/2004, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

I have a 6 year old flame angel. I remeber that I had about 3 of them die for no reason prior to purchasing this one. As I recall it was the method of capture that made a difference. It seemed that the cyanide caught fish all died soon after capture. What I finally did was that I just watched one in the store. I let it be in the reef shop for 2 months before I purchased it.

God luck - I remeber how very frustrating this was!

Connie
Old 07/01/2004, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Who is providing these cyanide captured fish?!?! Reef aquarium is such a tight knit hobby, I can't imagine a LFS dealing in speicies they know to be damned and expect to stay afloat. I question my LFS just because sometimes I think the environment there could be better.. but he has plenty of fish doing well for the most part. I have a problem with him not taking care of those that are sick.

We should start a list of shop, city, state, zip that are known to carry species that were caught by cyanide, and agree as a community to boycott such shops.

To do that, there must be a well defined guideline as to what justifies a cyanide caught shop, with a rehabilitation program that would allow LFS that didn't know better to adjust, at which point we should embrace theither business.

Just my humble opinions.
Old 07/01/2004, 01:17 AM
Secret Member

I think cyanide fishing is mainly the fault of the collector, I believe most LFS does not really know how the fish is caught, until they die.
Old 07/01/2004, 04:44 AM
troublemaker

I'd agree with NavyBlue ... though action against the cyanide places would definitely send a change thru where they're ordering from - it's not really in their control.
In fact, they're probably being lied to as well.

I find often I can tell a lot about a LFS just buy the livestock they choose to bring in. Coral-wise ... IMO you can tell those that are just selling what sells, not what may be better ideas.
Old 07/01/2004, 05:50 AM
Me in Iraq

Quote:
Originally posted by eastshores
I can't imagine a LFS dealing in speicies they know to be damned and expect to stay afloat.
That made me chuckle...

Some people, like you and me would actually care how the fish was caught and where it came from.

Other people are interested in one thing...money.

Why else would the store I'm thinkin of sell Moorish Idols?

They also keep the Seahorses they've killed on a net above the tanks like some kind of decoration...

And the liveaquaria fish have a 10 day guarantee...
Old 07/01/2004, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

Flames are also a deeper water fish. Thus the red coloring which is black in deeper water where all the red is filtered out of the light. They could be suffering from decompression. From what I understand cynide poisoned fish don't eat very much. I got mine 3 months ago and had a bout with bacterial infection but other than that he is great.
Old 07/01/2004, 08:54 AM
Professional Aquarist

Do you know the collection loale of your Flame Angel? That goes a long way in determining whether or not they are going to make it. Hawaiian ones would be my favorite.

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 07/01/2004, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

My LFS claims that the suppliers provide only net caught fish, but I think they are being lied to. I see many tangs and angels that show traits of cyanide poisoning such as pacing and twitching in their display tanks. I really thought this angel might survive because it looked almost perfect physically. I had to get it. Ussually I have to wait months for a flame around here, and I can't really order online because the flame might nip my clam. I need a place to return it incase this happens. Thats the biggest problem.
Old 07/01/2004, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Oh, and that captive bred angel on live aquaria would cost more than a hundred dollars to get. I wound rather just get it from marine depot, which I believe quarantine their fish for two weeks making sure they are healthy.