Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/29/2004, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Help!!! Macro Obsessed...need Better Camera Suggestions

I am returning a Fujifilm 7000 to Staples without a reciept. Slow camera. This is limiting me to what I can get. I have read more reviews than I can fathom. I am more confused now that before. I want, no, must take macro shots. Reviewed Fujifilm S7000, Canon powershot G5, Nikon 5400 & 5700, Canon Pro & Canon Rebel???????? HELP! Want most bang for the buck because I will use for other applications. But must have good macro. Thanks for all the help I am anticipating.
Old 04/29/2004, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

If you want super macro shot you gotta go with SLR. Otherwise, nikon 4500 is the best point and shoot camera for macro shots.
check out Max_Strandberg's pictures from http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ght=nikon+4500 . His pictures are taken with nikon 4500. The model is discontinued but you can find even brand new one from ebay. As far as I have seen, there is no better point and shoot camera.
If you go with SLR, will cost you around $1000 for a camera, and around $500 for a good lens. Of course you need much more skill to work these things compare to using SLR-like point-n-shoot cameras. Example of a SLR with 70-200mm lens.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ighlight=100mm
100mm lens
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ighlight=100mm

P.S. I do personally think that S7000 is the most bang for the bucks, especially with $100 rebate right now.

Last edited by zrograviti; 04/29/2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04/30/2004, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I have the Nikon 5400. It takes great pictures. It can also take real bad pictures. Its got allot of features that get a little confusing. It does take great macro shots! Problem is when you get great shots you always wish it could be better!?
Old 04/30/2004, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Can you show some examples of macro shots?
Old 05/01/2004, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

I have some beauties, but have no site to host them!
Old 05/01/2004, 03:01 AM
Premium Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...0&pagenumber=2
check out justgettinstarted's picture. a great picture taken by him using nikon 5400.

Did you also check out http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=3
?
There are many great pictures taken with various camera and people. My pictures are one of the worsts. LOL I think it also depends alot on who's behind the machine. melev takes way better pictures than me with his fuji S602.
Old 05/01/2004, 07:12 AM
Premium Member

For really great macro shots I think you want a camera that will take either standard Canon or Nikon 35mm lenses. The Digital Rebel is a nice body. remove the cheap lens that comes with it, add a 100mm macro (which effectively has a longer focal length on the Digital), and you'll be all set.
Old 05/01/2004, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all of your help guys! I am starting to lean toward the Digital Rebel. Were you meaning Digital or 35 mm SAT?
Old 05/02/2004, 01:26 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by zrograviti
melev takes way better pictures than me with his fuji S602.
And yet I'm now considering selling my S602 to get the S7000 you've got!

Basically, it is the same camera from what I read on dpreview.com, but it did have some new options.
Old 05/02/2004, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mfindell
Thanks for all of your help guys! I am starting to lean toward the Digital Rebel. Were you meaning Digital or 35 mm SAT?
I was assuming digital. You can save money up front and get equivalent or better optical quality using film... but you take it in the shorts when you get the film developed.
Old 05/02/2004, 10:29 PM
Moved On

I'm using a Olympus C-730 ultra zoom and i can't get a decent macro shot for the life of me, i got better ones with my terrible fuji a201 any ideas on why, anyone use this camera ?

Do you know iff those shots taken with the 4500 were using the stock lense ?
Old 05/02/2004, 11:32 PM
RC Mod

those nikons focus so close that additional filters are not necessary to get amazing close-ups.
it's hard to say why you're getting bad shots without knowing more about your technique.
so much depends on technique... it helps [massively] to have a great camera but even the best camera in the whole wide world will yield bad pictures if you use bad technique. the best thing to do is learn about the relationship between exposure, fstop, shutterspeed and depth of field- once you understand how they work together you'll be able to take great pics.
cameras nowadays are so advanced you can put them in full auto and get good pics frequently- but the more you know the better your pics will be.
greg
Old 05/03/2004, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

gregr,
can you recomand any good books for newbies??
Old 05/03/2004, 12:15 AM
RC Mod

in terms of general and close-up photography i always recommend John Shaw's books- he's a great and inspirational photographer and his writing is very to the point and easy to understand.
for digital photography there is Real World Digital Photography by Katrin Eismann, Sean Duggan and Tim Grey.
hope this helps,
greg
Old 05/03/2004, 12:20 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gregr
in terms of general and close-up photography i always recommend John Shaw's books- he's a great and inspirational photographer and his writing is very to the point and easy to understand.
for digital photography there is Real World Digital Photography by Katrin Eismann, Sean Duggan and Tim Grey.
hope this helps,
greg
Thanks!!! U da man!
Old 05/08/2004, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

I too like John Shaw's books. I wish I could find mine

I agree 100% with what Greg stated. You can take terrible pictures with the greatest of cameras! I know! I do it all the time. I now have the Digital Rebel and love it. It takes great pics!

I'm also going to be purchasing the S7000 for my wife. She's only going to use the program settings for the most part, but she really wants to get into Macro Photography. The S7000 is my choice for her as I feel it is the best bang for the buck and it has the best lens, ccd combination right now in the below $600 price range.
Old 05/08/2004, 09:38 PM
TRC Leader

gljjr, I heard recently that the Fuji S7000 is a great deal at Costco. It was around $550, and a $150 rebate to boot!
Old 05/12/2004, 01:14 AM
Taoist Conformist

The Fuji S7000 costs $599.99 with a $100 mail-in rebate at my local Costco:

Fuji S7000
Old 05/12/2004, 05:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mx_tang
The Fuji S7000 costs $599.99 with a $100 mail-in rebate at my local Costco:

Fuji S7000
forget costco.
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=FJFPS7000
$418. I believe they have free shipping and no tax (except for NY)
Old 05/12/2004, 12:33 PM
TRC Leader

Zrograviti, it is $418, after the $100 rebate. Have you ordered from this company yet? There seem to be a few vendors that are known to be shady, selling 'gray-market' cameras. I just don't want anyone being taken.
Old 05/12/2004, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Zrograviti, it is $418, after the $100 rebate. Have you ordered from this company yet? There seem to be a few vendors that are known to be shady, selling 'gray-market' cameras. I just don't want anyone being taken.
Yes, that's where I got mine from. They have good rating acording to cnet.com. I have had no problem, and the shipping was very fast. How can you tell if a camera is 'gray-market' or not?
Old 05/12/2004, 11:37 PM
TRC Leader

It isn't so much the camera specifically, as much as the vendor in question. Gregr should have more info on it, but basically you see this fantastic deal, and when you try to buy it, it turns out you are only getting the body of the camera. Lens, strap, lens cap etc suddenly are upgrades, and often times you won't even get a warranty because it wasn't made or purchased in America.

It is a really flakey deal, and thankfully some people steered me clear of it when I was shopping this time last year.
Old 05/12/2004, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
It isn't so much the camera specifically, as much as the vendor in question. Gregr should have more info on it, but basically you see this fantastic deal, and when you try to buy it, it turns out you are only getting the body of the camera. Lens, strap, lens cap etc suddenly are upgrades, and often times you won't even get a warranty because it wasn't made or purchased in America.

It is a really flakey deal, and thankfully some people steered me clear of it when I was shopping this time last year.
So, I won't be able to find out if mine is a gray-market or not?
Can they offer a rebate to a gray-market camera?
Old 05/12/2004, 11:51 PM
TRC Leader

Probably not. However, I can't say for sure. I would imagine the model number might come into play, or perhaps you'd get a rebate anyway, but when it came to a warranty claim the buyer would probably be up the proverbial creek.
Old 05/13/2004, 12:15 AM
RC Mod

the main issue is the warranty- gray market cameras come with no warranty. manufacturers will probably fix the camera if it breaks, but they will not do it for free like they would were it under warranty.
the best thing to do is ask before you buy- and don't settle for gray market or any other kind of compromise.
the shady dealers will try bait and switches- either over the phone; you call after seeing an ad, for instance, and they say, "you really don't want that model- i have one that is a better camera and i'll give it to you for the same price". or sometimes they'll stoop so low as to take your order and say they have everything in stock, and then they ship you something you didn't order. or they'll ship you the camera and all the other stuff that is supposed to come with it, like the battery, charger, strap, lens caps, etc., are missing and they say you have to pay extra for that stuff
if your camera came with the manufacturers warranty card then you're ok.
if you're not familiar and confident of the company you're buying from look them up on www.resellerratings.com
greg