Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/30/2004, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

GBTA thrives at night

I have a GBTA that's been in my nano cube for two weeks under 64W PC 50/50's. The first day i introduced him, i placed him high in the tank, but he headed for a shady ledge the first night and hasn't moved since.

During the day, he pokes half-way out from under the ledge, exposing about half of his body to the direct light, but as soon as the lights go out, he extends out from under the ledge and fully inflates.

I thought that the lighting might be too much, so for a few days, i shut down one of the 32W lights, in the hopes that he would extend more during the day. No luck though, his behavior stayed the same.

He feeds well, and doesn't really deflate unless i feed him too much, but it's amazing how much bigger he is at night than during the day (about 4x as big at night).

I'm concerned that he's not getting enough light, or that his not expanding durign the day will in some way harm him.

Anyone have any input on this?
Old 05/02/2004, 09:44 AM
RC Mod

Do the temps get higher during the day?

fwiw: I have a few BTA's under 3x28 PC in a nano that function on a normal schedule, whatever normal is
Old 05/02/2004, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

The temps are maybe 1 degree higher during the day, but i don't think it's a temperature thing. He stretches out right after the lights go out, before the tempertature changes.
Old 05/02/2004, 10:09 AM
RC Mod

I have not seen that with any of my anemones so I am merely grasping at straws here:

pH, change? Not likely immediate as you describe though.

BTA partially bleached and can't handle the lighting but is trying to feed after lights out?

Personally I would hit a few water changes, add some carbon, and possibly a small airstone just for GP. I would also consider partial shading of the BTA and see how that goes for a week. If it wants more light, it will likely move.

Hopefully someone else can add more helpful experience.

Good luck.
Old 05/02/2004, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problem with my BTA. When I first got it from the fish store it was under MH's. When I brought it home it was under 260 wattts of power compacts. 120 10,000K and 120 Actinic blue. during the day it would close up but at night it would become huge. I have nothing to say why this happens, but I eventually switched to MH's and now it is open at the first sign of light. I have had this anemone for a year now so my advice is get MH's because it was the best decision I every made for every single thing in my tank. oh by the way my MH is 150 watt HQI metal halide bulb from germany for my 50 gallon tank.