Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/15/2004, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

What camera are you using and why?

I am in the market for a camera and I would like to hear from people with first hand experience on the cameras because research can only take you so far. Further more do you have any regrets or are you happy?
Old 04/15/2004, 03:33 PM
ThingThatShouldNotBe

4mp Casio QV-R40

I really like this camera, it has many features including 2 different macro setting.

Some features I was most happy with are:

Manual focus
Manual white balance
Manual ISO
30 second mpeg recorder
20 preset and 1 custom picture type setting

I am still learning it, but have gotten much better at taking pictures in the short months I have had it.

HTH
Old 04/15/2004, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

I bought a Nikon 5700 Why....i bought it and heard good stuff about it.

90g:70lbs:5in
440 VHO 40NO

Madrian, Umbrella, Bubble, ricorida, orange Zoo's Camel, blue strip shrooms snails purple urchin.
Old 04/17/2004, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

choch,

What do you plan on using the camera for? How much do you want to spend?

I personally have the Canon 300d. It's perfect for an amature photgrapher. I like the flexibility of chaging the lenses for what the situation calls for.
Old 04/18/2004, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Hi thank you for the replies. I plan on using the camera mainly in social settings, vacations, and any beautiful/unique scenery I come across. I am an amateur also but am very interested in photography. I want something that looks good, is good for amateurs (durable, easy to use) but more importantly high quality for when I have the choice for my knowledge and seriousness to become more in depth with photography. Ive been researching and so far I am very interested in the Canon Powershot's SD10, S400, & S410.

(Does Anyone know the major difference or see a major difference between the S400 and the S410?)

Thankyou
choch
Old 04/18/2004, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

I'm not exactly sure if the SD/S400/S410 has full manual controls, that's what you need if you'r at least serious about photography.

IMHO...
I would get a nikon 5700/8700 if i'm looking for excellent macros.

Or you can get a canon A70/A80 for cheap and get some close up lens, they give impressive results as well.

The EOS 300D(what I have) for overall experience, but you would have to spend more along the road as the kit lens isn't exactly the best for macro.

Just stay away from the 8mpx cameras that just came out - eg. sony 828. They just aren't "proven" and noisy as hell. Tiny sensors dont give noisy-less clear pictures.

HTH~
Old 04/18/2004, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

A macro mode is not really a must. I am just looking for clear pictures, compact design, durability, 4-5 mpx, for no more then $400 bucks. Versitility in a camera is what I am looking for. But Thats not really the point lol. I just wanted to see what you guys use for my own info. Personal experience is the best thing when looking for a camera because everybody uses a camera for different reasons. (That is why I asked you guys what camera you are using and "WHY") Since I do not have personal experience with a camera the next best thing is asking someone who has used a camera.

Thanks for your replies, much is being gained.
Old 04/19/2004, 07:15 AM
Premium Member

Up until last month, I was using an Olympus C4040Z. It was a great camera for my needs at the time. The macro mode wasn't as close as many other cameras in it's class, but the availability of an affordable underwater housing was more important to me. In any event, it took/takes some great pictures (search for my posts in this forum for some examples).

Recently, I bought a Nikon D70. It's Nikons DSLR to compete with the Canon 300D/Rebel. I've reached a point where the fixed lense point and shoot cameras where not enough. I also wanted to be able to get shots that can print cleanly at 13x19 (I've done 8x10 with my 4040, but anything above that gets noisey). Finally, I picked the D70 because I just like Nikons glass better. Again, underwater use is important to me and there are better wide angle lenses available.

My galleries can be seen on my website for examples from each.

http://www.liquidchaos.net/photography : The galleries from the D70 say so.
http://www.liquidchaos.net/diving/divelog.php : For my underwater shots with the C4040 (no housing for the D70 yet).
Old 04/27/2004, 12:04 PM
Deaf Reefer

there IS a housing for the D70

announced Feb 17th, a month before your post.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...easeadxd70.asp

Use AltaVista translation on this page

http://www.seaandsea.co.jp/press/release.html

one downside its 198,000 yen, thats like 1,800 bucks USD jeezus

anyway

I know of a few

Sea & Sea
SeaLux CD70
Nexus
Aquatica AD70
FAntasea Line
Ikelite #6807 (I like this one)

and finally... a

Bruder BUW ND70

theres a rash of em out, I wonder if canon 300d has that many (just checked, yup even more..)
Windows for Solitaire

Last edited by Clyde; 04/27/2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04/27/2004, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Clyde

announced Feb 17th, a month before your post.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0402/04...easeadxd70.asp

one downside its 198,000 yen, thats like 1,800 bucks USD jeezus
He wasnt saying that he will never have one just that He doesnt have one. Yes Both Sea and Sea, Ikelite, Aquatica and many others PLAN make one to. BUT You cant buy them yet.

That price is about average...
Old 04/27/2004, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Clyde
Yes, there have been a bunch announced, but if I'm not mistaken, none for sale in the US yet. I believe Ikelite is going to be the first sometime in May.
Old 04/27/2004, 12:20 PM
Deaf Reefer

yeah price is average, but cost more THAN the nikon D70 itself is what I'm just saying

and yeah, I re-read his post you're right, he doenst have one, not theres none out ther eyet, guess that serves me right for scanning and reading quickly.

SIT AND READ for me now on.

thanks for the heads up William
Windows for Solitaire
Old 04/27/2004, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

And remember, that price does NOT include lens ports, which will run another $300-$500 each. And you can't shoot on board flash, so unless it's available light shooting, figure another $800 or so for a strobe. All in all, you're likely looking in the $3k-$4k range for a full housing system!

And to clarify, I did mean there is none out yet...as in, none available in my (US) market.

Here's a list of them, with some prices and estimated availability dates:
http://www.digideep.com/product.php?...ID=25&pID=769#
Old 04/27/2004, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luminary
, figure another $800 or so for a strobe. All in all, you're likely looking in the $3k-$4k range for a full housing system!u

And to clarify, I did mean there is none out yet...as in, none available in my (US) market.
Actually, you really need two strobes...= +1600

My ikelite/Drebel setup cost me over $3500. And Ikelite is the cheapest.

And dont expect to get a D70 in the water for a while. The Rebel came out in september and the housings are just now becoming available.
Old 04/27/2004, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

I have an Olympus E-20N (5 megapixel). It'll run you at least $1200.. I paid $1600 for mine when it was new. Great camera, lots of manual features, but slow to record to the card and slow to charge the flash. No big deal with tank shots, but I bought it to take pictures at concerts.. so it didn't totally please me. But I love it other than that.
Old 04/27/2004, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by choch
A macro mode is not really a must. I am just looking for clear pictures, compact design, durability, 4-5 mpx, for no more then $400 bucks. Versitility in a camera is what I am looking for. But Thats not really the point lol. I just wanted to see what you guys use for my own info. Personal experience is the best thing when looking for a camera because everybody uses a camera for different reasons. (That is why I asked you guys what camera you are using and "WHY") Since I do not have personal experience with a camera the next best thing is asking someone who has used a camera.

Hmmm... Well I have the Canon Digital Rebel (300d) and love it! I got it for Xmas and have already taken 700 pictures with it I already had 5 lenses as I have 2 Elan bodies from my Portrait taking days.

My Daughter has the Fuji s602Z. It is a fabulous camera! In fact I'm so impressed with the s602z I'm going to purchase the camera that Fuji replaced it with (s7000) for my wife. I looked at the s5000 but decided I wanted to spend the extra for the ability to share cards between the 2 cameras. Plus I know my wife will want to take macro's on a tripod and the s7000 allows you to use a standard shutter release.
Old 04/28/2004, 05:52 AM
Keeper of Brown Corals

Quote:

Consider the Sony DSC-F717 or the Sony V1. Both are excellent cameras in that price range. I have a F707 and its a killer camera. I also have several others, but don't press me .
Old 04/28/2004, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Only thing is it has to be a small camera, Thats why its so hard to choose.
Old 04/28/2004, 12:29 PM
Keeper of Brown Corals

Quote:
Only thing is it has to be a small camera, Thats why its so hard to choose.
The V1 might just be the ticket for you. Its pretty small. Check it out.
Old 04/29/2004, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

hey choch, i purchased the HP (Hewlett-Packard) 733 camera from walmart a couple of months ago for about $179; it has 3.2megapixels and takes excellent shots! it has multiple-modes depending on the pictures youre taking (action, still, portrait, landscape, etc.) i really like it because it has the lcd screen allowing you to preview the picture youve taken so you can delete it if youre not happy; it also has an expandable memory slot and is very easy to transfer pics to your pc with; it comes with a usb cable that simply plugs into the back of your computer and into your camera...the pc recognizes the camera and automatically opens up the photo downloading software! great great great price for an awesome camera...it may not be a expensive high-end camera, but the pictures it takes are amazing!
Old 04/30/2004, 12:06 AM
RC Sponsor

Another D70 groupie here. Just got it a few weeks ago and am having to learn DSLR (used to shoot some SLR). I am really liking it though. Waited for it over the DREBEL for a couple reasons - better lenses, faster, more adjustability. It's likely that I will never use many of the features, but the more I experiment with the camera, the more I find I made the right choice.

I have also used the DSC-717 and think it's a great value in a prosumer camera.

-Perry
Old 05/02/2004, 07:57 AM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

I use Olympus C-350 because i wanted Nikon 3100 but my father bought the olympus and the price was same

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena