Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/17/2004, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Lightbulb getting back into the hobby

I recently bought a all glass 180, oceanic 40gal sump, red sea berlin turbo skimmer, red sea t4 pump, and a custom sealife 4 by 96 with moonlight. I also got an Aquasafe 100gal per day RO/DI unit. I plan to go with about 200lbs of live rock and was wondering if its best to buy online or at the local fish store.
Old 01/17/2004, 12:37 PM
Me in Iraq

First, Welcome to R/C!

I choose to support my local fish shop for live stock. I want to see it before I buy it...even if it's just a snail, but that's me.

www.liveaquaria.com has a good guarantee....10 days. They also have good customer service.

If I couldn't find a good local fish shop, I'd use them.

What are you planning?
Old 01/17/2004, 12:47 PM
RC Staff
American

Hey Lonny,
[welcome]

I think the best source for live rock is a local reefer that's taking down his tank. That's not always a possibility though. What I've seen at LFS selling as live rock, usually isn't anything to write home about, but if you see something there that looks good, there's no reason not to go for it
As for online sources, there are a ton of them. Many sponsor RC and can be found here:
http://reefcentral.com/sponsors/
Two places I constantly hear good things about are www.Gulf-View.com and www.TampaBaySaltwater.com I used Gulf View personally, and was very happy.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 01/17/2004, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I havent decided for sure but the rock that i see online looks to have alot more life on it. But Im a little nervous about getting it online for fear of it dieing before i receive it
Old 01/17/2004, 02:47 PM
Moved On

Tampa Bay Saltwaters rock is way to dense in my opinion and although it has lots of life on it your bound to get 5-6 critters that you didn't want as well.

Just MO,

- g
Old 01/17/2004, 06:13 PM
Me in Iraq

This morning I read live stock, not live rock...sorry.

Tampa Bay Salt water...look at the monster thread about a day by day log of TBS rock.
Old 01/17/2004, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Looks to me like TSB is the way to go Lots of fun things on it. I'll most likly be ordering some of it in about 2 weeks I'll post pics as well