Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2004, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Power Compact Strip Question

Hi folks,

Not sure if this should be posted in "New to the Hobby" but I have a Britelite 30" Power Compact Strip on my 45G tank. Both bulbs are white and I'm assuming that the 96w bulb spec means EACH bulb is 96 watts meaning I have a total of 192W of lighting (88000K).

Assuming that to be true, and within the general 3-5W per gallon rule, I'm wondering whether I need to a) Swap one of the white bulbs for an actinic or b) ADD an actinic in addition to the PC strip.

Here's where I get even more confused... if I replace one of the white bulbs, won't one half (Right or left) of my tank be bluish and the other half white?

If I ADD the actinic, I may as well just add another PC strip of just actinic lights, since how else can I add an additional bulb?

SIGH...

Adam
Old 01/07/2004, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

Each bulb is 96 watts. For a 45 gallon tank, I would replace one of the white bulbs with an Actinic. The colors will wash together i.e. you won't have half blue/half white.

That lighting should be more than sufficient.
Old 01/07/2004, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info Mike,

Is this enough light for soft corals, leathers, mushrooms, etc?

I have a green star polyp and a Kenya Tree (positioned on highest rock) and both seem to be doing fine so far..
Old 01/07/2004, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

No Problem. FYI....you will hear 10 different things from 10 different people. So make sure you keep asking questions.

I would think that all of the polyps Xenia, mushrooms, leathers, and colt corals will do very well with your light if you get the Actinic. However, there is even the possibility of having too much light. So no need to put everything at the top.

If your tank looks gloomy then I would think there would be something wrong, but in your tank with that wattage, it should look bright and vibrant. Adding the Actinic will make it look even better.

I would warm up with mushrooms, polyps, leathers, colts, and other zooanthids and corals. I would wait until you had some more time under your belt before you attempt anything with a calcium carbonate base.
Old 01/07/2004, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

That's a relief... I'm going to get the actinic bulb tonight...

I also just bought egg crate from Home depot to replace my glass top... can I just set the PC unit on top or will it melt the plastic?
Old 01/08/2004, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

I'm not certain about the egg crate. Tend to keep my glass cover off during the summer months (heat) and then put it on during the winter(perserve heat). During the summer I rest my light on the tank top. Egg Crate seems to make sense, but I would certainly watch it for melting, also sounds like it might look ugly.

How does the Actinic light look?
Old 01/17/2004, 03:32 AM
Moved On

Pc unit will not melt the plastic...

I have my refug lights just as you described
Old 01/17/2004, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

i wouldnt risk in putting an egg crate on there. i have a 46 bowl front with glass top and coralite 36" deluxe on it. i took the top off to clean the salt off and the glass breaks due to heat from the lights and water. i guess i forgot the rules about not pooring cold water on somehting hot.