Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/13/2004, 04:06 PM
Reef Junkie

Lightbulb Macro camera shopping

I'm looking to buy a new digicam with at least 3-5 megapixels; I want one with excellent MACRO capabilities. I have a $500 budget. What would you recommend? Please post some pics you've taken and what model camera you are using (include price too if you can ).

I really like the Canon G5 or would be happy with a G3 but want to see what others options are out there before buying. Thanks a bunch.
Old 01/14/2004, 01:41 AM
Reef Junkie

Anyone help PLEASE.
Old 01/14/2004, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Well, I don't own a digicam in that price range but check out www.steves-digicams.com for thorough reviews and sample macro pics of pretty much any camera out there.

If you're looking at the canons, it would be smart to take a look at a coolpix in your range as well.

Travis
Old 01/14/2004, 01:11 PM
sedentaryologist

I just picked up a Nikon coolpix 4300 for $399 . . it can be bought cheaper online, best price I have found for a new one is $299, plus $25 shipping. Was worth the extra $75 to me to be able to have it today and to take it back for a new one if it breaks, rather than have to go through the mail.

I have seen a lot of pics taken with this camera and they look great . . I cant think of any links to them at the moment but I will be posting some of mine as soon as the battery charges and I use it a few times.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51
Old 01/14/2004, 05:44 PM
Reef Junkie

Coral Dilema, that would be great if you could post some pics using your digicam. I have heard good things about Nikon. I am leaning towards Canon and Nikon at the moment.
Old 01/14/2004, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Both Canon and Nikon make great cameras. Another one you might want to look at is the Fujifilm Finepix s7000 or s690z(the 7000 is the newer version). My daughter has the s690z and it's a wonderful camera! I believe it is a 3 mp camera but it takes wonderful pics.

Here is a pic she took of some Xenia in my tank.
Old 01/15/2004, 12:24 AM
Reef Junkie

That is a pretty nice shot gljjr. The main reason I want a macro is to take pics of my tank. Go figure. This hobby is fun isn't it? Keep the pics coming guys. I'll make up my decision shortly. Thanks in advance.