Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2003, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

powerheads

Ok i am planning on setting up a 75gal sw tank FOWLR to start but as i learn i would like to move to a more reef style tank. Ill be trying the dsb method. I work at a pet store and right now I am getting a bonus % off our items, so i want to grab some powerheads cheap, what would be a good amount if i wanted to grow some of the easier corals in the future.

also i as planning on using a 20k bulb and a 100% Actinic bulb along with filtered natrual sun light. any feed back would be cool thanks
Old 10/21/2003, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

congrats, i work at a pet store as well. I too had and still do keep african cichlids, and made the jump to SW earlier this year. I will wait for more experienced people to give you the advice you're looking for, i'd hate to tell you wrong. I just wanted to welcome you!
Old 10/21/2003, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

I can't stand ugly powerheads in an otherwise beautiful saltwater tank environment. You could buy muliple ph's and strategically station them throughout your tank but they will stick out like a sore thumb. If your budget allows, buy a Tunze Stream with a controller - best investment you'll ever make, besides the tank and the lights. One Tunze, along with your return outlet (if you are running a sump) will be more than enough for your sized tank. If you can't afford a Tunze, most people suggest to stay away from the Rio ph's. Good luck.
Old 10/21/2003, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys, well unfortuantly my tank isnt drilled to no sump for me, right now i have the seaclone 100, i am going the dsb route, i just got one ph one of the power sweeps rated for 75 gal, if this isnt enough i may get another one. pockets really feeling the burn.

just got 2 free 40 watt 20k strips with bulbs. hopefully these will help on my quest lol.

thanks for the welcome z6j
Old 10/21/2003, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Get ready to feel that burn... I started a 55 gal a month ago and am already nearing the grand mark...and I got my tank and stand for 50 bucks!!! Good luck to you. On the power heads...I have 2 Aqua clear Powerhead 402s and a zoo life ocillating power head. Rated 270, 270 and 160 GPH respectivley. Things are going fin in my tank but I want to switch the zoolife 160 out for 2 zoolife 270s and put them on opposite sides of the tank to create a wave action... but I am just trying out new things to see what works.
Old 10/21/2003, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

my 120 isn't drilled and it has a sump. I used an overflow box thingy.

what are you using as a HOB, if any?

the 40w strips will light it up nicely but i doubt you'll be able to keep anything that needs lights to live with only 80w.

Though i have heard of several people using normal florscent lighting on a 55 and 75 gal reef tank with success, since they aren't too deep and they have a good bit of surface area. the 48" strips are like $7 and the 6500k bulbs sell at home depot for around $6 for 2. build a hood and add 6 total bulbs of these in, with those two 20k and 2 03 acnitic bulbs(around $20 each at most pet shops) for a total of 10 40w bulbs, 400w total, and you *might* even have luck keeping coral, though i'm sure most people here will dispute that. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, i'm just saying i've seen people do it.
Old 10/22/2003, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Good idea joker, on top of that the area it is to be kept gets alot of natural sunlight, I know alot of people dont like the natrual sun light because it can cause unwanted blooms because more red and yellow waves are entering your tank. But red and yellow are the first wavelenghts to be filtered out, and my windows are tinted soooo hopefully it would be less yellow and red light then the blue wavelenght. Its worth a shot.
Old 10/22/2003, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

O to answer your other question joker, i am using a seaclone 100 skimmer
Old 10/22/2003, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Arachnidacolyte
O to answer your other question joker, i am using a seaclone 100 skimmer
that's your chemical filtration. are you using anything for mechanical? a HOB like an aquaclear or something? it's not needed if you go with a DSB and a cleanup crew, but i enjoy using both. i feel like it's kinda a failsafe, ONE of them has got to work.

i would definitley get more water flow though. Most of my tanks have around 20 times per hour total turnover rate (adding the GPH of all the powerheads and filters = 20 times the gallons of the tank). I believe 10 is adequet, check the GPH on the sweeper PH and add it to the PH for the skimmer. If it's under 10, add more to at least hit that mark. Fish love current, and many corals do as well.
Old 10/22/2003, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

I use the seaclone 100 too... I think it works great. What about you arach? If you do not plan on putting corals in your tank then you can use a bio filter like what joker was talking about, however they (from what I've been reading) create nitrates which are not good for inverts (corals). The LR SB and the skimmer should be enough to cover your bio load. Remember the more the better with LR an SB.

Good Luck
Old 10/22/2003, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

i wouldnt mind trying some zoo's or featherdusters to start with, but if worse comes to worse ill make it a FOWLR tank till i can afford the lighting ans stuff for inverts.

If i went for a HOB filter i would probably go with 2 emporors or penguins, I got the penguin 330 on my cichlid tank and it works wonders. its been 3 months, and i havent changed the filter at all, i test my water ever 3 days and still no rise in ammonia, nitrate or nitrite. once it goes up the slightest ill change the filter media but i cant belive its worked so good for 3 months now