Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/15/2003, 02:55 PM
I EAT FISH

Lost a clown to brook. What do I need to do.....

to make sure everybody else is okay?

I found him looking really bad yesturday. White flakey stuff all over him and swimming very eradicly (sp?). Did a fresh water dip right away for 15 minutes and he didn't look to good afterwards. Well he didn't make it thru the night.

What can I do to make sure nobody else get's it??
Old 10/15/2003, 07:58 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You may get a few opinions on this, but I would wait for a visual sign of trouble on the others and I wouldn't add any other fish, especially Clownfish for a while. Some fish are less succeptable to it.

Did you match the pH and temperature of the fresh water with that of the salt water. If not, this is probably why the fish didn't make it.

Joyce Wilkerson's Clownfish book lists the treatment as a fresh water dip and and a formalin treatment. I have a battle happening with some Clownfish and what seems to be Brook that has been a 3 month event. One of the 2 seems to have it pretty bad, but he seems to be doing better now. The remaining ones in the LFS were dying off quickly when I returned there, so I know I bought these guys an extra 3 months so far. I may have stopped previous treatments too early, but won't do that this time.

I assume that any other fish in your tank with symptoms should also be treated with the fresh water and formalin dips and a formalin treatment. Don't use formalin around coral or invertebrates. Don't use carbon, pads or protein skimmers if you use any treatments. I have been told that a tank that's fish free for 4 or 5 days will be Brook free as well, unless you re-introduce Brook to the tank.
Old 10/15/2003, 08:02 PM
I EAT FISH

Thank you very much for the info.

I did match the PH but the temp was a little bit off. The thing is he looked really bad when I first noticed it which is weird because I watch my tank everyday and never noticed any signs before yesturday.

I'm watching my other clown to see how it is doing and it seems fine. I'm sure it will miss it's friend. I only had the pair for a few months.

I'll keep an eye out for everybody else.

Thanks again.
Old 10/15/2003, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

More than a few days...

Read this thread that discussed the lifecycle of Brook. 4-6 weeks was the determination to have a "clean" tank.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ighlight=brook