Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/17/2003, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

acclimating

What do you guys think is the best procedure for acclimating a clam?
Old 09/17/2003, 09:12 PM
The Notorious Reefer

Drip.... For atleast 2 hours.. This is the method I use, and it's the safest and surest way...

Take the clam out of the bag, and place it as well as all the water, or as much needed in a bowl... Take out tank water into some sort of drip system ( ivy, or home made) to make one you can simply buy a small valve and use air-line tubing running from the bottom of a distilled water can through the top and down to have proper syphoning... I do about 1 drip every 2 3 seconds on my clams and take out water from the bowl as the water level get's higher.... Do this for about 2 hours and be sure to then acclimate the clam to the tank temperature.. It would be best to have the clam in a bowl in the tank attached to the side... so that it doesn't fall into the water...

Of course you can use an easier method by taking out half a glass every 10 minutes and such.. Not even sure how it goes because I never do it... I like for all my species to be acclimated properly to be sure they are the least stressed...

-The new and improved Lebowski 29 tank, (Oh man, it's so close to being accomplished! It will blow your minds!)-

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 09/17/2003, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

When I acclimate anything in my tank I use a bucket that's large enough to hold the livestock and water that the livestock in, plus an extra gallon of water or two. I put a heater and a very small ph in as far away from the livestock as I can then I start dripping water from my QT tank (1 drip every 1-3sec depending on how much total water vol is in the bucket. Faster dirp for larger vol.) After the bucket is full, I dump out half the water and start again. I would do this for 2hrs-3hrs.

After that, its (livestock) going into the QT (slowly adjusting it to the light also). 2-3 weeks later if everything look good, I repeat the above step but with my main tank water.
Old 09/19/2003, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

most of the time i use the drip method but have a bowl attached to the side of my sump so the clam acclimates to the tank temp.
Old 09/19/2003, 03:05 PM
Will work for money.

This might be a dumb question, but...

If a treatement for diseases and such is a fresh water drip, why is it necessary to slowly acclimate a clam to the tank?
Old 09/23/2003, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Treatmeant for diseases such as, fwd, med, or any other is only a last resort when the animal can't combat the diseases by itself. Any treatment will cause a very big strees on the animal. Its only done when it have to be done. When I first started this hobby, only 20% of my fish that went through treatment survie, now its up to 50%. The best way, is to prevent the animals from getting sick. IMO, it is easier to prevent than to treat an animal from disease.
Old 09/23/2003, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

P.S. Acclimating your livestock is the best way to prevent diseases from the start.