Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/13/2003, 05:32 PM
Gran Corona

Quote:
Originally posted by farbeyonddriven77
. Editing the threads in question should be top priority, and they don't have the time to do this when they're constantly having to fight off a**holes with nothing better to do than give them hell. I

I remember posting a less vulgar, similar phrase about two years ago, something like "if some SOB cant pick up a phone. . ." Anyway I was severly reprimanded and warned that my posting privledges might be revoked, I guess when defending moderators the rules dont apply
Old 06/13/2003, 05:37 PM
Guardian of Little People

My gosh, how can we win? If we edit a thread, we are accused of censorship. If we don't, we are accused of favoritism.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 06/13/2003, 05:37 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

Quote:
The interested parties should consider that we have one group politely asking us to look into a problem and another group rudely complaining and hurling insults at us for doing so. (Keep in mind I'm not grouping any particular person in any particular one of those groups, so don't be insulted) Which group is more likely to get what they want?
People, is the reef hottie thread that important to you? I mean, yeah, it was fun in the beginning... but it did become quite inappropriate with such comments (as I mentioned earlier) as "nice assets" and "nice polyps"... I mean, I was just glad none of those were pointed at me, although I guess some less self-respecting females did not mind. Honestly, i'm beginning to hope it stays gone. The more I think about the inappropriate comments made, the more it makes me want my picture out of the thread.

Another thing, do they really have to say to you "sit pretty like susie and you'll get your cookie, too". ? Stop making such an issue out of something that toward the end, was contributing nothing to this community short of degradation.

Again, jmo!
angela.
Old 06/13/2003, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

chromis

Yes, and I regret the implications that I made. I just have always had a problem with people giving others (who are trying to do what's right) crap and then trying to stand behind "freedom of this, and rights of that" type of things. I do have a problem with controlling my temper in these types of situations, especially when I in turn am attacked for standing behind the people who are just doing a job, and have certain resonsibilities. Here's where I stand, just to clarify:
1. I agree that if there were posts containing vulgar or inappropriate materials, they should be removed.
2. I feel that if given the chance, the moderators would have done their jobs and everyone would be happy. (as I stated on PG.4)
3. I don't feel that just because you throw a couple of bones to RC, that it means you get free reign and you can put down, criticize, and rip on the moderators.
4. I didn't direct any names at anybody in particular, so if SOMEONE in particular took offense to it then they must feel guilty of something.
5. Please don't get me wrong, I have never been a quick judge of character, and never will be. Someone can be acting like an a** ****, but that doesn't mean that they are always have been, or always will be.
Old 06/13/2003, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

newreeflady

Wher was the sit pretty like suzi thing?
Old 06/13/2003, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

This is Hilarious! Six pages of griping and no Lock in sight.

Another Foster's Barkeep!
Old 06/13/2003, 05:57 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

farbeyond... in the quoted line, it basically said that those who were not being such annoyances would be more likely to get their way (these being those politely asking for the removal of the thread)... which implies that those who are being rude and obnoxious (this is being pinned on those who want the thread back) had better be good boys and girls if they wanna see the post again... boils down to sit pretty like susie if you want your cookie....

Angela.
Old 06/13/2003, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (these smilies to be read in order to see my reaction to your last post)
Old 06/13/2003, 06:13 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

Ah, so now you see ... glad I amuse you... (bows) Thank you, thank you... there's another show at 9pm, stick around folks

Angela.
Old 06/13/2003, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

You people are a bunch of sally's. The shear number and frequency of the posts would have made it a pain to controll all of OUR hormones. I am a perverted redneck, but that doesn't mean i want my kids seeing that. If we could have just kept it a little cleaner we would have been fine, and enough with the redneck jokes , it is almost racial. Chip
Old 06/13/2003, 06:26 PM
Gran Corona

The key is consistency which, while an admirable goal, I realize is an impossibility on a board this size. I was just messing with the man, so to speak, sorry if you had an aneurysm Brian

What happened man, you used to be such a likable guy?

J/K
Old 06/13/2003, 06:38 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

I agree that some of the posts we're well off to being deleted....although I feel words such as "erection" or such should not be deleted, when suggested in a non-vulgar, simply natural way.

Quote:
Hi nihonjin_anemone... I have edited your post about HelloLights. I found your remarks inappropriate. Please re-read the UA before you post again.......snailman
In my original post, I used the word erection in a simple natural way, because it's a fact of life....that's what happens when a guy gets excited..I never meant it in a vulgar way....Sometimes I think the mods get a little edit-post happy....but nonetheless, I agree with what they're doing.
Old 06/13/2003, 06:43 PM
Guardian of Little People

Hey, if nothing else, this is the first thread I have started (maybe ever) that reached 100 posts in one day.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 06/13/2003, 06:46 PM

Congratulations?
Old 06/13/2003, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

It's a beautiful thing when done right!

Old 06/13/2003, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

nihonjin

Thanks for clearing up what happens when a guy gets excited! LOL
Old 06/13/2003, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I mean, I was just glad none of those were pointed at me, although I guess some less self-respecting females did not mind.
Newreeflady, I don't know what it's worth to you, considering I'm only 16, but I saw your pic, and just thought I'd say that I thought you were very pretty
Old 06/13/2003, 07:05 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by gregt
Wanna take a guess at what it costs to host a site with this kind of activity? Do you have any idea how many hours a week just I myself spend making sure you can "provide the content"?

Seriously. I'd like to know what your perception is. I know JohnL spends more time than I do, and the mods spend boatloads of hours monitoring thread, but I can only speak for my personal time, so I'm curious.
Your quote was not exactly what I said. IMO, RC is perfectly justified in charging for membership, for the simple fact that members can go to certain forums, post a question, and have it answered by a recognized expert in the field.

As for your time and the Mod's time? It is debateable. Should you be paid? Most likely, but I am sure that RC can command a much higher price for advertising than my small board. I am sure that many members here donate and do so on a regular basis. If this is not enough to defray the costs associated with RC, to include saleries for the Admins and Mods, then obviously something else would need to be done.

Now, the fact is, you got ticked about what I said and took it to mean something it doesn't. How much has activity increased since the server problems have been fixed? Lot's I'm sure, I know that activity increased substantially on other boards due to RC's problems. Sooooo, make it pay to play and see what happens. RC is a great resource due to the members (Admins and Mods included in the term: members), without those members RC is not such a great resource. Soooo....let's lose the it's free, so quit complaining argument. It's old, it's tired and there are much better reasons to tell people to stop complaining.

Hanlon's Razor:
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
-Anon.
Old 06/13/2003, 07:06 PM
Hog Obsessed

I think the semi nude pics of Skipper posed on a Pepsi delivery truck went just a little to far. My son walked up while I was looking it and now I think I'm gonna have to put him in for therapy.
Old 06/13/2003, 07:18 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by Baalz
I think the semi nude pics of Skipper posed on a Pepsi delivery truck went just a little to far. My son walked up while I was looking it and now I think I'm gonna have to put him in for therapy.
Just hearing about it makes me think I may need therapy....

Kevin
Old 06/13/2003, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

I have always had a great respect for RC and its Moderators, its a job that I couldnt even imagine as being easy. Once again I agree that some of the pictures comments and links posted to this women hottie thread were offensive to me as well as others. The ONLY problem I have with this entire thing is when someone gets banned for making a joke and others that clearly were not making a joke get to stay. I have no doubt that a person being helpful to me in another forum has no bearing on this situation, it was simply a claim to knowing this persons character. I just think that everyone deserves a second chance to screw up.
Old 06/13/2003, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Kevin,

Apparently my comments came across wrong. I didn't intend to say that we should be paid. What I intended to say was that I agree that while the members are the lifeblood of the forum, but I think our efforts have significant value as well. Subtle difference, but important, IMO. To spell it out, I think some people on this thread don't value that effort and as we are human, it is a constant challenge for all of us to watch people that take advantage of that effort turn nasty so quickly and attack those that provide it.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 06/13/2003, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I have always had a great respect for RC and its Moderators, its a job that I couldnt even imagine as being easy. Once again I agree that some of the pictures comments and links posted to this women hottie thread were offensive to me as well as others. The ONLY problem I have with this entire thing is when someone gets banned for making a joke and others that clearly were not making a joke get to stay. I have no doubt that a person being helpful to me in another forum has no bearing on this situation, it was simply a claim to knowing this persons character. I just think that everyone deserves a second chance to screw up.
Missy,

First, we do base our decisions on a ban on more than just one post.

Second, we do look at a persons history and contributions to the community before implementing a ban. There is no history in this case.

Third, we do allow second chances (and even 3rd and 4th in some cases) to members that are deserving. I think it will be difficult in this situation to make a good case for why this person is deserving of a second chance. There was absolutely no respect shown for the volunteers that maintain this site, joke or no joke. Why should we continue to put up with this behaviour indefinitely?

Here's how I call it:

Quote:
Is your favorite colour purple?
Calling into question the sexual preference of another member. In context, I hardly see this as a joke, and there wasn't even a smilie.

Quote:
Well, I was coming back to check out the boobies, but I guess that thread is now dead... Back to hibernation now.
He outright says he's not here to contribute...

Does this post history look like someone that was contributing to our community in any way at all? http://reefcentral.com/forums/search...archid=1284314

Old 06/13/2003, 07:34 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

Reefrunner69, please stop asking them to charge for the site. It is a resource that JohnL and others want to provide to us. Lets not make it a pay site just so that some questionable content can remain. That is ridiculous! There are people here from all walks of life, not just those who can afford to pay, but young people who just love to gain knowledge yet have no paycheck... people like myself who are just hoping to be able to afford some food and get out of credit debt by the end of the century... Not everyone can afford to pay. Many do contribute in other ways you know!?

Gregt... I for one appreciate this site and have respect for all of you... please know that that goes for the majority of the members here, it is the minority that does not appreciate the mods & admins time and effort.

Angela.
Old 06/13/2003, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Angela, I do appreciate that, but I'm not speaking to most members. I'm speaking to members that choose to criticize first and ask questions later. The respect I'm looking for is to have the mods be given the benefit of the doubt and not be criticized for temporarily removing a thread for goodness sake.

We are human, and we do make mistakes. However, I'm extremely proud to be associated with this group of moderators, because they truly do try to always do what's best for the community even when it personally is difficult.