Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

livesand bed conversion

Wanted to convert my crushed coral bottom into a live sandbed.
How should I go about doing that? the tank is 100 gal. One side of the tank is actually barebottom and the other is about 2-3", with none under the rocks. Strange, I know. I slowly started to remove the crushed coral because I felt it was a detrius trap/mess. I have a ton of liverock, the tank is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrates, ph 8.0 which I have a hard time keeping up to that level, would prefer to keep it at 8.2-8.3. Only 2 fish, 4 shrimp, soft corals, a large anemone and numerous snails and crabs. What I am getting at is removing the crushed coral has actually helped my tank not hurt it, so with that in mind, can I spread it around to maybe 1", keep it barebottom under the rocks, and add maybe 2" of live sand on top, would that hurt anything? I guess I want the live sand bed so I can keep some gobies, (diamond goby) and it looks like they love to play in the sand. I am thinking the sand will not get as dirty as the crushed coral, am I right or wrong about this?
Old 01/10/2008, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

I have literally just done this!!!

What I did was:

set up a second tank, filled it with water from the main tank, used a heater, one powerhead and moved the skimmer over.

Took out all the corals and put them up one end

took out all the live rock and put it up the othe end

caught all the livestock and popped it in

Saved as much water as physically possible from the main tank, plus had 40 litres of freshly mixed water ready to top up the loss.

Scraped out all the CC and wiped the base down

added the Live rock back to the tank

put in the sand

got as much water back in as I could including most of the new mixed water

moved the skimmer back over

waited for the sand to settle, water to clear and temperatures to match in each tank (about 4 hours)

Moved the corals back carefully and then the livestock

Took me 7 hours total (although your tank is bigger than mine)

no deaths, no casualties as yet

and yes it was worth it and yes it looks 1000 times better!

“No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise”