Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 10:23 PM
Premium Member

I love ricordias! Maybe you can send me one of your 49 others!

I can't wait to see that purple tang - I'm sure it's beautiful. I worry that I'm going to go to the LFS for a powder brown and end up taking home a purple that I've fallen in love with! At least you did it first!
Old 01/04/2008, 03:23 AM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

lol yep. $55 is a good deal right? I mean he is a pristine example. Same super bright yellow tail and fins as marcs with nice dominant striping when he wants.

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 01/05/2008, 09:55 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

New lights arrived today!

Ok so here are the new pics with the 48" nova extreme pro. Some modification needs to be done to the canopy so there will be vents for the lights. Although I lost my shimmer I absolutly love the crisp look of the t5's. It added a lot more appeal to the tank as a whole. As far as the tang goes with my canon sd750 no matter what I do I can't get a nice macro image of him. I had a couple of ok ones throughout the tank on a 4gb card I just purchased only to find out my 2 card readers can't read the 4gb cards! anyway so the tangs pic is blurry. But he is gorgeous.

Full tank shot w/new lights

Right side

Left side

tang picking at nori on a clip that fell behind clam lol. God I put a bunch but he is pigging himself out. Marc, or anyone that may have the info, how often should I feed him this way?

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

Old 01/05/2008, 09:57 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

Oh as far as the other koralia goes Hydor usa customer service was great! He said just to email him what I need (impeller shaft and nose cone) and he'll have it out asap.

I figure I'm going to buy enough rock to mask the overflow. I don't like the look when the overflow gets coated in coraline with a black background on the rest of the tank. Makes the tank look cheap.

Old 01/05/2008, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

That is a beautiful purple tang! It's good that he's pigging himself out, I think. Better a pig than starving! For $55, I think it was well worth it. You may have found him for a cheaper price, but it might have been missing a fin or two!

The tank looks great. I love T5s. I've never had MHs, though, so I'm slightly biased. I see them in the LFS and the shimmer is beautiful, but the heat and cost just isn't worth it to me.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Nice FTS
Old 01/05/2008, 11:18 PM
TRC Leader

If the tang likes nori, fold up a piece into a very tight section so the clip will hold it securely. I fold it up like a matchbook, then fold it in half again.

For one tang, if you have those large sushi wrap pieces of nori, use 1/4 of a sheet. If you buy the kind from the LFS that comes in a smaller size, maybe 1/2 of that sheet. Maybe less.

I would offer it every other day, or every 3rd day. And remember that tangs poop a lot, so the more nori it can eat, the more it can pollute your tank. Also, they will sometimes tear nori off and let it float away, and not eat it all. So watch for scraps that need to be removed.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:51 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

ok sounds good

Old 01/06/2008, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

looking good, i like that mixed sand

Click on my red house to see my 90g RR tank :) Tons of pictures, tons... Click!!!
Old 01/06/2008, 01:27 AM
Where's My Jell-O?

That is a nice setup! I really like the way the rock work is layed out & love the black sand on top!

Melting!
Old 01/06/2008, 02:13 AM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

thanks for the compliments! It's coming along. I've decided to not get anymore fish for now. Going to work on getting the right rocks for what I want to accomplish then start working on corals. My 1 and only prob is that there is nobody around here locally that has sps for reasonable prices. I really can't spend 30-50 bux a pop for a 1" frag. The whole light fixture cost me 343.

Old 01/06/2008, 02:59 AM
TRC Leader

You should check with local club members and try to trade frags instead. $30 to $50 for a frag - they must be pretty awesome pieces. We have fish stores charging that much for entire corals.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:23 PM
Girls Rule!

Looks great! =)
Old 01/06/2008, 09:46 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
Looks great! =)
thanks!

I still haven't had much skimate at all. Don't know why. About 70g of the water was new the rest was brought over from the old tank. You think that could be it? People have said with the asm G2 you should keep the output adjusted to the lowest setting....yet I've already raised it to the neck with no significant results. I'm getting thick foam in the neck but not enough to spill over in the cup. There is plenty of milk so I don't get it.

Old 01/06/2008, 11:43 PM
TRC Leader

Give it time. I'm sure you'll get skimmate again as it settles in.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:37 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

any idea how much 2 part I should add on a tank this size? I'm looking to pick up a few sps frags soon.

Old 01/10/2008, 05:17 PM
TRC Leader

You need to know what the levels are now, what the levels should be, and to follow the directions carefully when dosing. Testing often (almost daily) is the best way to determine what amount to dose every day. After a couple of weeks with careful record keeping, you'll know exactly what your tank needs.

It would be only after you've got these numbers stable that I would add SPS frags. Why risk losses during your learning curve? Better to add them once you've got a good understanding of what the tank needs so they can just grow.

Once the corals grow, you'll have to add a bit more to the daily dosing to match what is being absorbed by the livestock.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:34 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

damn it my tang has ich. Well it's not full blown yet...I can see 4 white dots but I know ich when I see it! I've started raising the temp and am gonna start soaking his nori in garlic. JCP lemme know what's happened with yours pls. I could use some good news.

Old 01/10/2008, 09:35 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

I'm assuming it's maybe because the water temp dropped to 75 now with the new lights. With hotter temps I never ever had ich issues.

OH i forgot. He has a bruise/wound on his left side from when I first put him in the tank he can into a rock. That is probably the biggest culprit.

Old 01/10/2008, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

chevegan looks great sounds like your going on the right track where did you get your light from and what is the details of it
Old 01/10/2008, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

are u going to be adding any more tangs into your tank
Old 01/10/2008, 09:46 PM
TRC Leader

Take a breath. It's going to be okay, and by keeping a cool head you'll probably be a better care taker.

I don't bother with temperature changes to deal with parasite issues. Just focus on keeping the water stable. What is the normal temperature of the tank? What was is 75F with the new lights? I would have expected it to get hotter with the lights on.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:58 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

with the t5's it doesn't pass 75 with ambient at 72. With the halides it never dropped below 76.5. To make it more difficult my tank refuses to eat formula 2. I fed some lettuce today which he seems to love.

RT6 my lights are the new nova pro's 6x54w that grim recently tested.

Old 01/11/2008, 05:51 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

todays parameters

ph: 7.95 lights still off for another hour
Calcium: 490ppm
KH: 10
SG: 1.24
as for my No3 my test kit is old thusly producing no results