Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

PVC aquascaping help

so im getting ready to re-do my rock setup and i was curious as to trying out the whole PVC/ eggcrate deal to try for some nice aquascaping. couple questions though...first and foremost, what glue/ pvc cement is reef safe. secondly if there are any tips or tricks that anyone has i would love to hear about it. and pictures are also great, if you have some cool scaping done, show it off to me. thanks

-j
Old 01/07/2008, 03:50 AM
Registered Member

anyone done this before?
Old 01/07/2008, 08:49 AM
TRC Leader

What is it your trying to do with the PVC/eggcrate?

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 01/07/2008, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

If you are just making a rack with horizontal surfaces, slip the PVC together and use zip ties to attach the egg crate.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

pvc

There is a very cool article in Marine fish & Reef magazine that I picked up a month ago.
Volume 10, 2008 (has a hawkfish on the cover) They not only used pvc but they did it in a way that it hid all the powerheads, and was easily disassembled for maintenance.
Not sure where you are located, but I have read this issue about 9 times now, and you can have it if you want.
What they did here was very cool, I wouldve tried it if I did not already have things set up

I can even send this to you if you are not in a hurry
Old 01/08/2008, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

well...im not really sure as to what im doing...ive heard so many things as to using PVC to help with your aquascaping, and i have been researching it quite a bit...but im much more of a visual learner. finding diagrams for help is very slim. i have read about drilling the rock and placing acrylic rods through them and all that good stuff, but is it really always that complicated? it would be nice to be able to re-assemble my rocks later on. im just curious as to some good ways to try it out.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

as for the magazine...i appreciate the offer, maybe ill head to a bookstore to see if they still have an issue. otherwise maybe ill take you up on that offer.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:48 AM

I've 'scaped using PVC and I will not do it again. I had a really bad experience with it and ended up destroying huge live rocks because they would just split after I drill them. Although i was successful with a few pieces, I would not recomment this method for someone who has never tried it before.

A better alternative would be some acrylic rods, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter. I also found out that the same look can be achieved by using ONLY zip ties. JMO
Old 01/08/2008, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

yea ive been thinkin about the acrylic rods...it seems to be fairly easy. how exactly would i go about using zip ties?
Old 01/08/2008, 05:11 PM

With zip ties, you only have to drill tiny holes on the rocks and pass them through. You can then connect this rock to another rock to create a nice formation without the rocks falling over.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:57 PM
Premium Member

talking about aquascape this is the best aquascape on RC ever for a small tank...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1288059

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

wow...thats very similar to what i was going for ycnibrc. actually i went and picked up that magazine today thanks to bigredchair...i somewhat have a good idea of what i can work with. now i think ive got to play around, but if anyone has any cool pics please feel free to post it up in the thread. thanks for all the input.

i actually found this...if anyone interested check this out...pretty awsome thread i found.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

Last edited by noobyReefer; 01/09/2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:21 AM
Flea Slide

The pictures in this thread from the All-Reefs site can give you an excellent idea:
http://www.all-reefs.com/inicio/viewtopic.php?t=3058
Old 01/09/2008, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

read totm, it give you some good hints:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/totm/index.php
Old 01/09/2008, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

its funny you posted the TOTM cus i had actually JUST read it right before i saw this post. jdieck, thank you so much...that is exactly what i was searching for. i needed soething with some diagrams, and i def cant read spanish but i can for sure understand those pics. awsome deal guys thanks.