Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Powerheads

I a was wondering if the noise from powerheads gets quieter over time. I am trying to decide whether to go with the Tunze 6625 or the Koralia 3. I have put one of each in my tank and both are a little louder than I thought they would be and rattle the glass a little. Will this get better over time and has anyone else had problems with rattling the glass? Also which powerhead have others had good success with?
Old 01/08/2008, 11:46 PM
Our man in the East

I also use both and I haven't had any issues with rattling (apart from when I modded the Tunze but that was sorted by pushing the cover on tighter)
Are the rubber magnet covers on the K3 and have you put the rubber feet on the Tunze
Old 01/08/2008, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Yes I have them on both of them. I guess they are not making a hard rattling noise but just louder than I thought. Do they get quieter as they get older and the parts get a little slime on them?
Old 01/08/2008, 11:50 PM
Caulastrea sp

i have a koralia 4 and can't hear it

SPG: 1.026
PH: 8.35
'trates: undetectable
phosphate: 0
ALK: 11.6DKH
calcium: 435ish
12/21/07
Old 01/09/2008, 12:31 AM
Premium Member

You just need to adjust them so they are not deflecting of the glass as much--let them deflect off some live rock--if a large amount is directed at some coral that likes it--then it will absorb alot of the shock.
I just added another Korilia 4 today to bring up the flow to 45 times the tank volume--you can't hear a peep out of them

The only draw back with the Korilias is that you can't wave time them--and I have yet to find a controller that will work with them
So far the only work around seems to be to run some power heads on a time in conjuction with the hydors to really churn up the flow.
There is a type of tunze that will work with a controller however