Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

High Desert Sand by Pavestone

I went to home depot today looking for some sandbed media. In particular I was looking for Pavestone Pulverized Limestone but it's not something that is carried during the winter months in the Northeast.

What I did find was a sand by Pavestone that is named High Desert Sand. This is a different product than their regular sand or their play sand. It was much more white in color. Does anyone have any details about this product? Anyone using it?
Old 01/07/2008, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

THis is from another thread:

Quote:
Well... I received my answer on Pavestone Sand from Pavestone themselves. The following is the reply to an email I sent them today:

Scott,

Thank you for your interest in Pavestone products. To answer your question, our High Desert Sand is silica based, not aragonite. Great timing on your question, by the way. I was asked this exact question a week ago and I had to research the answer. That research has already proved its worth. Thanks again for your question.

Steve Hain
Pavestone Co.
Hagerstown, MD

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=152287
Old 01/07/2008, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Red face

I haven't heard anything about it. Maybe try their website and see if it has any info on it. Is it real fine grain size? If it is to fine you will get alot of sandstorms. I am using the pulverized limestone and it has worked out great.

Wow there is your answer......it got posted before me
Old 01/07/2008, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I had seen that same thread from 2005 along with some others that seemed to counter what the Pavestone employee offered which is why I was hoping to find someone that had used the product more recently.

Emails to the Pavestone have not been returned as of today. I'm sitting on 5 gallons of live Southdown sand so I may just buy a bag or two of the High Desert Sand and mix them when I set up my new 65 gal tank.