Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

various unrelated questions

My Aquapod 24 gal has been up and running since May. Until a few weeks ago, it has been FOWLR. In the past couple weeks, I have added a kenya tree, some zoanthids, and some marble mushrooms. I have a couple of random tank questions.

1. What does everyone use to clean the outside of the tank. I tend to drip water down the sides during cleaning and water changes. I'm very careful not to expose the tank to sprays of cleaning solutions. I have though sprayed some Windex on a rag in another room and used the rag to wipe down the glass. Despite this, my glass tends to get a foggy film on the outside that I'm sure is from smearing around the saltwater drips. This film keeps the tank from looking as good as it could.

2. I have heard and read that if you keep your salinity on the low side (1.02-1.021), it will help keep your fish from being stressed. But, I've read that corals prefer higher salinity (1.025-1.026). Which is correct? Will the corals be stressed by lower salinity? Will the fish be stressed by higher salinity?
sergeant major damsel
kenya trees
green zoos
various snails & crabs
Old 01/06/2008, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

#1. i just use water or i will let the drips dry, scrape the hard salt with my fingernail then put a papertowl in between my magfloat and glass and clean it that way.

#2. i keep my salinity at 1.024
Old 01/06/2008, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

I use Windex, I'm just careful not to get it in the tank.
1.024 for the display.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

Even with the Windex, I still have some film left.

I think 1.024 makes sense. Sort of split the difference. Since adding the softies, I've been slowly trying to bump up my salinity, but I'm still only at 1.022. The corals look great, and the fish seem fine, so I guess no one's freaking out.
sergeant major damsel
kenya trees
green zoos
various snails & crabs
Old 01/06/2008, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

Seems to me that I sorta have to "polish" the glass with a dry paper towel after using the Windex.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

To clean the exterior glass I soak a clump of paper towel or sponge. Wipe the galss so it's good a wet and squeegie it off. Quick and clean.

Natural sea water has aasalinity of 1.0264. There is no reason not to match it. Many myself included go a little bit lower 1.025>because of evaporation concerns and the potential particularly if you are using a hydrometer for inaccurate readings. Corals anewmonies and shrimp need the higher salinity. Fish live in it in nature. When the salinity is lower the fish will need to drink less and urinated less so it makes it a bit easier. Fish are often shipped in low salinity as low as 1.015 for these reasons. It is important to remember this when acclaimating new fish.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

the only reason i can see to keep it ~1.022 is to compensate for mistakes since you're still new

ive always breed my clowns in 1.022 but there are many different options. see what works for you.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Very interesting about the salinity tmz. I will work to slowly bring mine up.

As for the squeegee (sp?) idea, THAT'S BRILLIANT. I bet that works great. I'll give it a try for sure. Thanks.
sergeant major damsel
kenya trees
green zoos
various snails & crabs
Old 01/07/2008, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Glad you like the S----- idea. I don't know how to spell it either.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

Do make sure you are using an accurate Hydrometer or Refractometer! The hydrometers tend to read low, you may be at "reef" salinity already! Just be sure.

Last edited by norwall; 01/07/2008 at 01:36 AM.