Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Grim, Sorry if its the wrong forum. I am thinking of setting up an Oceanic 45 gal., 24.5 x W 18.5 x H 25, tank. I would like to light it with the Outer Orbit 150 HQI/T5 HO www.current-usa.com/outerorbithqit5ho.html
Will that be enough light for a clam and SPS tank. The tank will have a 4 to 5" dsb. I believe I should immediately replace the four T5 lights. What T5 lights do you suggest I use
This will be my first reef tank.

Thanks
Marty
Old 01/03/2008, 10:00 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by chaungo
Grim-did you miss my first post? See below:

Hey! I currently have a 120g 48" x 24"x 24" with softies and LPS with PCs. I'd like to add some SPS possibly. Can you give me some recs for a economical plug and play T-5 light fixture and brand? I don't know how to retro any ballasts-so I'd rather not try.

So can you give me option A with softies and LPS and option B with some SPS. Also, can you give me your recommendation for bulbs-brands and sequence as well. Thanks!
LPS and softies only 6x54 watt Nova Extreme Pro BUT Throw away the blue lamps and set one of the 10K's aside as a spare.

Go with
Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

For SPS either a 8 lamp ATI fixture or a 7 lamp Aquactinics Constellation. If you want just a few SPS an 8 lamp Tek would work but grab one of the clamp on Azoo fan arrays so you can cool the fixture.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wegotcrabs
What is the difference in lighting power between the nova extreme 8x54 and the nova extreme pro 6x54? And dont say 2 bulbs-
2 lamps (we don't use bulbs)

I just kill me!

The Pro has dufus catalina style reflector which helps a bit but I am not sure they would make up for the extra 2 lamps.
Old 01/03/2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by martinphillip03
Grim, Sorry if its the wrong forum. I am thinking of setting up an Oceanic 45 gal., 24.5 x W 18.5 x H 25, tank. I would like to light it with the Outer Orbit 150 HQI/T5 HO www.current-usa.com/outerorbithqit5ho.html
Will that be enough light for a clam and SPS tank. The tank will have a 4 to 5" dsb. I believe I should immediately replace the four T5 lights. What T5 lights do you suggest I use
This will be my first reef tank.

Thanks
Marty
You should be looking at a 250 watt halide for that tall of a tank. A 150 aint gonna cut it.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

Hello Grim, I'm sure you are tired of hearing the same questions over and over again, but we really do appreciate all your help. I recently purchased an aquactinics tx5 (54w), for a regular 55 gallon mixed reef tank (softies, lps, and sps) and dsb 5 1/2" to 6". I'm loving it so far, but I was recommended to change the bulbs out soon, it was originally purchased last December 2006. I currently have the following setup:

front
ATI blue plus
ATI aquablue special
Giesemann pure actinic +
UVL aquasun
ATI blue plus

I was wondering if I should follow your setup instead (minus the 3rd blue plus)

front
Blue Plus
Pro Color
Super Actinic
UVL 75/25
Blue plus

Would this still look good, and have enough par for my sps? I'm very happy with the color of the setup now, but always on the look out for something better. Thanks so much, any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
Old 01/04/2008, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

Hi Grim,
I've got half-way through this thread but it's now 2am.
I've just picked up a 70g Oceanic Tech. It's 25"high, 36" long.
Will a 5 or 6 lamp T5 do for mainly LPS and softies? I'm planning on doing a 4inch sand bed.
Other options I'm considering are the outer orbit 2x150MH with T5 supplementals. I really don't want a massive electricity bill though, so any advice on lighting options will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Malla
Hello Grim, I'm sure you are tired of hearing the same questions over and over again, but we really do appreciate all your help. I recently purchased an aquactinics tx5 (54w), for a regular 55 gallon mixed reef tank (softies, lps, and sps) and dsb 5 1/2" to 6". I'm loving it so far, but I was recommended to change the bulbs out soon, it was originally purchased last December 2006. I currently have the following setup:

front
ATI blue plus
ATI aquablue special
Giesemann pure actinic +
UVL aquasun
ATI blue plus

I was wondering if I should follow your setup instead (minus the 3rd blue plus)

front
Blue Plus
Pro Color
Super Actinic
UVL 75/25
Blue plus

Would this still look good, and have enough par for my sps? I'm very happy with the color of the setup now, but always on the look out for something better. Thanks so much, any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
Instead of the pro color do a Aquablue. With just 5 lamps the PC is probably a little much and the PAR sucks.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:47 AM

The Aquactinics TX5 will do well for that tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbrit
Hi Grim,
I've got half-way through this thread but it's now 2am.
I've just picked up a 70g Oceanic Tech. It's 25"high, 36" long.
Will a 5 or 6 lamp T5 do for mainly LPS and softies? I'm planning on doing a 4inch sand bed.
Other options I'm considering are the outer orbit 2x150MH with T5 supplementals. I really don't want a massive electricity bill though, so any advice on lighting options will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01/04/2008, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

I have the TX5 over my 55G and love it so far....really nice solid unit!
Old 01/04/2008, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
The Aquactinics TX5 will do well for that tank.
Grim, I wasn't sure, were you saying the TX5 will do well for a 70g Tech? (25Hx36L)? I do want to try plates and maybe a clam on the sandbed, LPS, softies and shrooms mostly otherwise.

Thanks again in advance.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

Grim, Thanks.
The Current Outer Orbit, besides having the 150 hqi, it also comes with 4, 24 watt, T5 lights, with the "famous" current reflector. If I were to switch out the T5's with higher par bulbs, could I keep clams and SPS?
The tank is 24L 18W 25H with a 4" dsb.
Now if you are still suggesting the 250 HQI, what T5 bulbs would you use to replace the original four.

Thank you again

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
You should be looking at a 250 watt halide for that tall of a tank. A 150 aint gonna cut it.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:47 AM
Keeper of Tangs

hello everyone,
I have two nova fixtures. Both 8x54. I have a 450 gallon tank that has a anemone and most zoos and a couple leathers, what bulb setup should I run. I love the more blue look so I would want to have more of a blue hint to it. Any help would be appreiciated.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbrit
Grim, I wasn't sure, were you saying the TX5 will do well for a 70g Tech? (25Hx36L)? I do want to try plates and maybe a clam on the sandbed, LPS, softies and shrooms mostly otherwise.

Thanks again in advance.
Clam on the sand... ATI 6x39 watt Powermodule.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Grim, Thanks.
The Current Outer Orbit, besides having the 150 hqi, it also comes with 4, 24 watt, T5 lights, with the "famous" current reflector. If I were to switch out the T5's with higher par bulbs, could I keep clams and SPS?
The tank is 24L 18W 25H with a 4" dsb.
Now if you are still suggesting the 250 HQI, what T5 bulbs would you use to replace the original four.

Thank you again

Marty
Definatly need a 250 halide for that tank. I would run 2 Blue Plus and 2 Super Actinic T5's with a 10K lamp.
Old 01/04/2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thor32766
hello everyone,
I have two nova fixtures. Both 8x54. I have a 450 gallon tank that has a anemone and most zoos and a couple leathers, what bulb setup should I run. I love the more blue look so I would want to have more of a blue hint to it. Any help would be appreiciated.
Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Old 01/04/2008, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks again Grim.
Does Marty's tank need a 250 halide because it's only 24L? Whereas with mine being 36L I can get more T5s over it?
Do you know if the ATI Powermodules have mounting brackets and if you could recommend a good place to purchase?

Cheers!
Old 01/04/2008, 05:44 PM

Only place to get the ATI is Reefgeek. The ATI comes with hanging hardware but you can just sit it on the tank.

Marty needs a 250 because his tank is 25 inches tall. Even using good equipment thats too tall for a 150.
Old 01/04/2008, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Grim, As I see it, if I want a T5 system for my 24"l 18"w 25"h I would need an 6 bulb ATI light. Is there anything else in T5? If I needed an 8 bulb, I would stick to the HQI.

Marty

Marty needs a 250 because his tank is 25 inches tall. Even using good equipment thats too tall for a 150. [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 01/04/2008, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Grim,
I currently have the 6 bulb 54 watt system from sunlight supply over my 75 gallon. I am getting ready to change the bulbs out. Can you give me a recommendation on what bulbs to use. I am currently keeping sps and I plan on adding clams. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Grim, As I see it, if I want a T5 system for my 24"l 18"w 25"h I would need an 6 bulb ATI light. Is there anything else in T5? If I needed an 8 bulb, I would stick to the HQI.

Marty

Marty needs a 250 because his tank is 25 inches tall. Even using good equipment thats too tall for a 150.
[/B][/QUOTE] it sounds like you have a 90 that is what i have and i have 6 bulbs everything is fine and growing colors are very nice and you can pick your bulb config .....hope this helps
Old 01/04/2008, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

No its only an Oceanic 45 gallon. 24"L x 18"W x 25"H. I want a small tank, unfortunetly its hard to find a 6 bulb T5. The only one I know of is the ATI. I am thinking about getting two Nova extremes and have 8 bulbs across the tank, giving me 192 watts of light. They are only 7 1/4" so two will fit. I figure since the 8 bulb 48" works, an 8 bulb 24" should work, even though there are no individual reflectors.

Marty

Quote:
Originally posted by flaco626nj
it sounds like you have a 90 that is what i have and i have 6 bulbs everything is fine and growing colors are very nice and you can pick your bulb config .....hope this helps [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 01/04/2008, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

oh sorry i have been hetting the bottle already got you then i would over drive with ice cap ballast but im sure grim will chime in just trying to help
Old 01/04/2008, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, anytime

Marty
Old 01/05/2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:

Marty

[/B][/QUOTE]

Unless Aquactinics has come out with a 39 watt Constellation fixture the 6 lamp ATI is the only good T5 option for that tall of a tank right now. One option would be to use a 6x39 watt Tek light with the 4 fan Azoo clamp on array dr foster and smith , com sells.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by austinvanover
Grim,
I currently have the 6 bulb 54 watt system from sunlight supply over my 75 gallon. I am getting ready to change the bulbs out. Can you give me a recommendation on what bulbs to use. I am currently keeping sps and I plan on adding clams. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Blue Plus
Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquablue
Blue Plus